Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

EVGA Geforce GTX 560 SC PSU Requirements

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 3, 2012 11:34:07 PM

Hi, everyone,

I have the following system:

1. ASUS P5Q Pro
2. Intel Dual Core E7400 2.8 GHZ
3. 4 GB Dual Channel Corsair XMS2
4. 1 Extra Cooling Fan
5. 1 WD Caviar Black SATA HDD
6. 1 DVD-W
7. Antec Earthwatts 500W-D.
6. EVGA Nvidia 9800 GT 512 MB

I decided to replace the 9800 GT with the GTX 560 SC. From what I've read, my PSU has the following:

ANTEC Earthwatts EA-500D
Voltage = Max Load
+5V = 24A
+3.3V = 24A
+12V1 = 22A
+12V2 = 22A
-12V = 0.8A

The card requires a 450watt Minimum with a +12V rating of 24 amps and two power dongles. From what I read, my current PSU should be adequate. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
DW
a b Î Nvidia
January 4, 2012 12:55:28 AM

http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-560ti/...

Thermal and Power Specs:

Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 99 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 170 W
Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 500 W
Supplementary Power Connectors Two 6-pin

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-156...

Minimum of a 500 power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps.
Two available 6-pin PCI-E power dongles

http://store.antec.com/Product/power_supply-earthwatts/...

1 x 8-pin (6+2) and 1 x 6-pin PCI-E connectors


So ya leave the 2 pin part dangling and connect the two 6 pins and you be fine.
January 4, 2012 1:43:21 AM

Antec makes great PSUs. You're good.
Related resources
January 4, 2012 1:57:37 AM

Hi, guys,

Thanks. And it's actually the GTX 550 SC not Ti, I'm looking at.

It turns out it needs 24 amps on +12 V. My PSU gives me total wattage of 12V1, 12V2 = 408W total. This gives 34 amps, so I believe all is good, and I should not have any problems.

Cheers,
DW
January 4, 2012 2:24:21 AM

One of my systems has an OC'd Q9550, 4 GB RAM, a GTX260 - a card with similar power requirements to yours, a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, 3 hard drives and an optical, and a Soundblaster card all powered by a Corsair 750TX.

Running 3 instances of Prime95 to load the CPU and 3DMark06 to load the GPU, it pulls 375 watts from the wall as measured by my Kill-a-Watt meter. Figuring 80% PSU efficiency, the system pulls 300 watts from the PSU.

With an E7400, your system will probably pull250 - 280 watts from the PSU. A good 400 watt power supply like the now discontinued Corsair CX400 would be adequate.
January 4, 2012 2:39:16 AM

Thanks, everyone. I can see from the suggested alternatives, the 500-D will do fine. Using a PSU calculator, I threw all kinds of configurations at it, and it seemed to never go over the amperage or total watts.

Thanks again, and happy new year.
January 4, 2012 4:18:55 AM

I am using that exact model with my Athlon 2 x3 + 4g ddr2, random mobo and 6870 (higher power requirements then the 550, close performance to the 560 ti)

It's a really good unit I must say.
January 4, 2012 4:15:28 PM

Hi, Mouse,

That's good to know. It turns out that the EA-500D I have has a lower 12V total wattage than the EA-500 D GREEN (408 versus 444).

To be honest, I was surprised by the requirements. I haven't built a PC in a very long time, and I haven't kept up with the technology, so this is all new to me.

I ran the Extreme PSU Calculator, and it seems that overshooting things, e.g. High End Desktop, 4 USB active, and the 460 1 GB (consumes 160W compared to 560's 150W) or 560 Ti (170W) and 4 fans (system has one to evacuate CPU heat, plus an Artic Cooling Heatsink specifically for the 2.8 (instead of the stock), it suggests 483w with 31.4 amps on the 12V. This is 95% system load and 30% age for the PSU (it's 3.5 years old).

In another scenario, with the 560 Ti loaded, it comes to about the same with 90% load.

My only concern is the games at 1080p. Specifically, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I will be playing ME 1, ME 2, and some strategy games. I don't play FPS or anything similar.

Thanks for your help.

DW.
January 4, 2012 4:41:35 PM

DW_2012 said:
Hi, everyone,

I have the following system:

1. ASUS P5Q Pro
2. Intel Dual Core E7400 2.8 GHZ
3. 4 GB Dual Channel Corsair XMS2
4. 1 Extra Cooling Fan
5. 1 WD Caviar Black SATA HDD
6. 1 DVD-W
7. Antec Earthwatts 500W-D.
6. EVGA Nvidia 9800 GT 512 MB

I decided to replace the 9800 GT with the GTX 560 SC. From what I've read, my PSU has the following:

ANTEC Earthwatts EA-500D
Voltage = Max Load
+5V = 24A
+3.3V = 24A
+12V1 = 22A
+12V2 = 22A
-12V = 0.8A

The card requires a 450watt Minimum with a +12V rating of 24 amps and two power dongles. From what I read, my current PSU should be adequate. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
DW

560ti pulls 225watts at max
a c 168 Î Nvidia
January 5, 2012 3:08:35 AM

Headspin_69 said:
560ti pulls 225watts at max

170w according to Nvidia and two of them that are OC'd draw less than 400w according to Sandra.
January 5, 2012 3:29:13 AM

Mousemonkey said:
170w according to Nvidia and two of them that are OC'd draw less than 400w according to Sandra.

I honestly would not go off what Nvidia states of course they will fudge it to make it look good. I go from what sites like Tom's, Overclock 3D, AnandTech, OverclockerClub, Bit Tech etc and real world reviews say then you can get the real world facts because most people don't have anything to gain or lose by telling it like it is Nvidia has lots to lose and not much to gain if they tell people to much of the truth.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
January 5, 2012 3:34:23 AM

Headspin_69 said:
I honestly would not go off what Nvidia states of course they will fudge it to make it look good. I go from what sites like Tom's, Overclock 3D, AnandTech, OverclockerClub, Bit Tech etc and real world reviews say then you can get the real world facts because most people don't have anything to gain or lose by telling it like it is Nvidia has lots to lose and not much to gain if they tell people to much of the truth.

I'm also going off personal experiance and that is a closer match to Nvidia's claims of 170w than your claim of 225w.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
January 5, 2012 4:13:02 AM

Headspin_69 said:
Can we meet in the middle and call it good http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_5...

Quote:
Just like the GTX 580 and GTX 570, the GTX 560 comes with a current limiter system which reduces clocks and performance in case the card senses it is overloaded by stress testing applications. We disabled this feature for our "Maximum" testing to give you proper worst-case testing of the card.

Not when power saving features have to be disabled to support your argument, no.
January 5, 2012 4:18:30 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Quote:
Just like the GTX 580 and GTX 570, the GTX 560 comes with a current limiter system which reduces clocks and performance in case the card senses it is overloaded by stress testing applications. We disabled this feature for our "Maximum" testing to give you proper worst-case testing of the card.

Not when power saving features have to be disabled to support your argument, no.

Then I guess the real question is what are power savers doing on a high performance card like the GTX 560ti two 6pins plus the PCI-E lane = 225watts albeit GTX 560ti cannot use all of that rated max capacity it is a high power consumption card so it is agreed.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
January 5, 2012 4:23:03 AM

Headspin_69 said:
Then I guess the real question is what are power savers doing on a high performance card like the GTX 560ti two 6pins plus the PCI-E lane = 225watts albeit GTX 560ti cannot use all of that rated max capacity it is a high power consumption card so it is agreed.

On older motherboards it would only get 150w if it only had a single 6 pin PCIe socket but as it requires 170w another 6 pin is required to supply the other 20w, hardly rocket science.
January 5, 2012 4:25:25 AM

Mousemonkey said:
On older motherboards it would only get 150w if it only had a single 6 pin PCIe socket but as it requires 170w another 6 pin is required to supply the other 20w, hardly rocket science.

If it only needs and uses 150watts give or take then whats the need of a power protector LOL me smell Bigotry
a c 168 Î Nvidia
January 5, 2012 4:29:13 AM

Headspin_69 said:
If it only needs and uses 150watts give or take then whats the need of a power protector LOL me smell Bigotry

And I smell idiocy, the card is rated as a 170w part not a 150w part. :pfff: 

Best solution

January 5, 2012 4:33:10 AM
Share

Mousemonkey said:
And I smell idiocy, the card is rated as a 170w part not a 150w part. :pfff: 

To the OP your PSU will be just fine. I understand what and how the card is rated for power consumption however I am not knowing why it is I am still being persecuted for stating facts LOL.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
January 5, 2012 4:41:40 AM

Headspin_69 said:
To the OP your PSU will be just fine. I understand what and how the card is rated for power consumption however I am not knowing why it is I am still being persecuted for stating facts LOL.

Because your so called 'facts' are wrong.
January 5, 2012 4:46:59 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Because your so called 'facts' are wrong.

Its not wrong that GTX 560ti takes 200+ watts
a c 168 Î Nvidia
January 5, 2012 4:55:20 AM

Headspin_69 said:
Its not wrong that GTX 560ti takes 200+ watts

Only when the power saving features are manually disabled and even then it doesn't reach your 'factual' claim of 225w.
January 5, 2012 4:59:55 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Only when the power saving features are manually disabled and even then it doesn't reach your 'factual' claim of 225w.

We will see when someone put on a proper OC on the 560ti then we will see .
January 5, 2012 3:41:33 PM

Hi, everyone,

Thanks for all the great responses, though my query was regarding the GTX 560 SC (non-Ti version). Good to know everything will be OK.

Cheers,
DW.
January 5, 2012 3:42:45 PM

Best answer selected by DW_2012.
January 5, 2012 3:46:49 PM

DW_2012 said:
Hi, everyone,

Thanks for all the great responses, though my query was regarding the GTX 560 SC (non-Ti version). Good to know everything will be OK.

Cheers,
DW.

As said by Tom's about the GTX 560 sans ti and I quote "If those specs sound vaguely familiar, that's because they’re the same as Nvidia's GeForce GTX 460 1 GB. It makes sense; after all, the GF114 is functionally ((( identical ))) to GF104. It was simply reworked to deliver higher clocks while using less power." So in summery a GTX 560 is an overclocked GTX 460 with less power draw however IMHO the GTX 460 HAWK Editon is a greater value if you can still find one that is and at a decent price. http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,2944.html
!