Tobes

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I'm having a problem with either a grey screen with lighter grey shades going though it or a black screen while using the computer for extended periods of time on higher end content such as Battlefield 3, Furmark, and long sessions of Skyrim. Things to note:

-I can avoid the problems by turning down the settings.
-I can still talk on Skype when the screen messes up.
-I hooked up my computer to a different heavily tested psu from a friends build and the problems still existed.
-Problem did not occur during (short) 30 min Prime95 test, only during Furmark.
-Tried different graphics card with clean drivers but had screen pixelation then crash and brown screen.

Considering the computer has been tested with a different PSU, I can rule that out. The CPU was shortly tested, but the problem only occurred during heavy GPU usage/heavy power loads, so I can rule that out. I tried another GPU and still had problems, so the problem must be with either the:

-Motherboard
-Ram

After reading some reviews, the motherboard supposedly has problems with VGA connections thus causing the red light to always be on, which is what my mobo does. Also, while posting this, my computer's display became extremely distorted and barely usable, unusable being a problem noted with a very few mobo reviews. As for the Ram, I haven't noticed any problems with it. No blue screens, but I haven't been able to run memtest yet. A lot of good reviews for some GeIL Ram modules, a lot of bad for others. All in all, I'm thinking of just sending the RAM and MOBO back to be safe.

Specs:
-CPU: Phenom II X4 960T Unlocked (same issues when not unlocked)
-GFX: HIS 6870
-MOBO: BIOSTAR TA870U3+
-Ram: GeIL Black Dragon 8GB
-PSU: hec Zephyr MX 750
-HDD: HITACHI HDS721050CLA362