Sign in with
Your question

Bsod on 3 mo. old compaq notebook cq57-310US

Last response: in Systems
March 7, 2012 11:56:18 AM

Hello, my my got me this pos but it seemed to be ok just to read the newspaper ive had bsod 2 times both after i swiched from norton-comcast to mcaffee-atnt--. i thought maybe it was a virus inbetween uninstall virus pro to install HELP ME PLEASE
March 7, 2012 12:33:12 PM

A BSOD like you are seeing is often caused by an updated driver that failed to install properly. What driver updates did you recently apply?

Also, this is likely not caused by either Norton or McAfee. I would suggest you install Microsoft Security Essentials and dump both Norton and McAfee. The tool is free, effective, and uses fewer system resources than either of the others.
March 7, 2012 1:37:41 PM

COLGeek said:
A BSOD like you are seeing is often caused by an updated driver that failed to install properly. What driver updates did you recently apply?

Also, this is likely not caused by either Norton or McAfee. I would suggest you install Microsoft Security Essentials and dump both Norton and McAfee. The tool is free, effective, and uses fewer system resources than either of the others.

A good start. Definitely get rid of Norton and McAfee. Avast! antivirus is also free and what I use. But because of how MSE is integrated into Windows, it will likely be the lightest on resources.

If you're experiencing frequent BSODs, you can download BlueScreenView from Nirsoft - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Installing and opening that application should read the minidump files that are created when your machine BSODs. The likely culprit will be at the top, highlighted in red, in the lower pane. If you'd prefer, I'd be happy to take a look at your minidumps for you. You can zip 'em up and email them to me. PM me if that's something you'd like for me to do.
!