promoman9

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
This morning my computer was off, something it usually never is. When I tried to turn it on, it starting booting running through the HDD for the operating system and loading Linux then it turned off. I started it up again and it barely got through the boot screen before it turned off again. I let it rest for a few minutes and it got to booting the operating system again before turning off. I'm inclined to think it is my PSU considering it is a no-name 4+ year old PSU, but I want some opinions before I go replacing it.

Thanks.

it might also be the cpu fan. the system would auto shutdown due to heat.

it might also be another fan so check them all.

if your psu was dead one would think that you wouldnt be getting any power at all. i would tend to think its a fan at this point in time. though it *could* be a psu fan.

ram1009

Distinguished
It definitely sounds heat related, however it could also be in the PSU. As components age they often become heat sensitive. In other words they work fine when cool but fail at operating temps. The only way to diagnose problems like yours outside of a lab environment is to replace suspect items with known functioning items.

Well the first dignosis would be to check the fan and then the temps.

promoman9

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
I never thought about the fan. I will check it later on when i get home. I didn't have time to investigate it this morning before going to work. I have a temp gauge on the outside of the computer, but to be honest I never thought to check it. I'll start my trouble shooting there. Thanks for the heads up.

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Don't rule out the PSU just yet. if you find that the machine is running cool then i would say that it could very well be the PSU. also if you said the PSU is 4+ years old i would assume the entire build is? so check the motherboard for blown capacitors.

keep in mind that the op stated that they managed to boot fully before the system shut down. i highly doubt this would happen if there was anything electrically wrong with the board.

i have a system over 6 years old and it runs as good as day one. system age isn't everything.

i wouldnt just start buying things as suggested. you can narrow it down a little before that. unless you like wasting money that is.

--

check the fans first, cpu temp. if it is heat related the shutdown times should be faster and faster the more you try to restart. ie... 40 seconds in.... then 20... then maybe 10.