Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Accelero S1 Rev2 + MSI R5770 VRM cooling?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2012 12:32:35 AM

I have installed an Arctic Cooling Acelero S1 Rev2 on my MSI R5770 Hawk and am loving the drop in temperature and noise, but a question came up half way through the install when I found the VRM heat sinks are... less than ideal for this card.

1. Am I correct, that these are the VRM's (outlined in green)?

1B. If so, I have the tools / stupidity necessary to cut the VRM coolers down to what would fit, my idea is expressed in this picture (red = cut). The base of the heat sinks is the width of my supposed VRM's.

2. After all that checks out- the real issue to me- can I use my modified heat sinks bridging two VRM at a time (noted in cyan)? Or would this be an electrical issue? Would I have to make little squares for each of the VRM?

Of course, if the answer to '1' is 'no', then I'll have to ask- where are they? This is one of the forum pages that led me to install the S1, I have yet to see anyone attempt/mention VRM cooling.

Feel free to ask additional questions, thank you for your patience,
Drew J
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2012 2:29:33 AM

I have one of those coolers on my 6790; I just made it so that the heat sinks cover the majority of the ICs on the PCB.

If there were no heat sinks there before then don't worry about it.
Score
January 4, 2012 1:27:54 PM

Okay, so did you cover multiple IC at once with the heat sinks? That would answer pretty much all of my questions quite directly.

There weren't any heat sinks there before, I guess it's just a game to me- to attempt cooling my card as best as possible.

Thanks.
Score
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 4, 2012 1:59:39 PM

If you want a simple and very easy solution then just get some solid copper vram coolers on newegg for like $10-15 for a pack of 8. Beyond that if you want to be cheap then go for it plus it will improve your skill for later mods.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2012 11:08:17 PM

Drew J said:
Okay, so did you cover multiple IC at once with the heat sinks? That would answer pretty much all of my questions quite directly.

There weren't any heat sinks there before, I guess it's just a game to me- to attempt cooling my card as best as possible.

Thanks.

Yes I did; there were several ICs which were close enough together to use a single heat sink on (ie 2 ICs to 1 heat sink)
My GPU went from idling at 50*C and gaming at 80*C to idle at 30-35*C depending on ambient, and less than 50*C on average when gaming with a hefty OC.
January 4, 2012 11:15:28 PM

Best answer selected by Drew J.
Score
January 4, 2012 11:16:26 PM

Thank you for your input, bobusboy and nforce4max. Looks like I'll proceed with my plan then. Should be fun.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2012 11:19:44 PM

Make sure to use an eraser and rub it on the ICs before trying to attach the heat sinks!

I did this (as per the instructions) and had zero issues making them stick permanently; there are lots of people lamenting about how they couldn't get the heat sinks to stick properly and it turned out they skipped that step.

I used one of those soft white erasers, just gently rub it back and forth. I did it for about 10-15 seconds per IC. You don't need to grind it in to the chip.
Score
January 4, 2012 11:27:03 PM

Thanks!

I've had a positive experience with their heat sinks, contrary to the common complaints you've mentioned. With the RAM sinks I rubbed them, air blasted them, and cleaned them with 91% isopropyl alcohol prior to placing the heat sinks with pressure (30 sec). Will do the same with my modded ones. :) 
Score
!