Replace 350 watt power supply with 400 watt?

Can i replace my 350 watt power supply (original) w/ a 400 watt ?
12 answers Last reply
More about replace watt power supply watt
  1. You will get a far more accurate answer if you post some detail about your PC and what it is you are trying to accomplish.

    Cheers.
  2. There some physical constraints you must consider, however if your only question is about wattage I suggest replacing your 300 watter with the largest QUALITY PSU you can afford. It's the cheapest insurance policy you'll ever buy for your rig.
  3. I would advice against getting as big as possible a PSU, since that wastes money and power. Quality is what you really want.

    Anyway, if the 400watt has no shortcommings compared to the 350 watt (number of connectors, amount of power on each voltage, quality). and is in no way larger or smaller than the 350w. Then yes, you can replace the 350w.
    But you should probably tell us what system it is supposed to run, and which powersupply model you have and which one you are planning to use.
  4. couch714 said:
    Can i replace my 350 watt power supply (original) w/ a 400 watt ?

    The likely answer is yes, you can upgrade to the larger capacity PSU as long as you are replacing a standard ATX PSU with another.

    If you are using some sort of non-standard or small form factor PSU, your options may be limited.

    What make/model of PSU are you using now?
  5. It is a codegen switching power supply. Model #350 xa
  6. couch714 said:
    It is a codegen switching power supply. Model #350 xa

    That is a standard ATX PSU and you can replace with nearly any other standard PSU.

    What is your budget? Or, do you already have another in mind?
  7. 40.00 dollars
  8. COLGeek said:
    That is a standard ATX PSU and you can replace with nearly any other standard PSU.

    What is your budget? Or, do you already have another in mind?

    Sorry for the delay, had to remove it. around 40.00 dollars
  9. I'm assuming it,s the psu, from what i have researched. the poewr light comes on for a few seconds, and i can hear the motherboard whistling, then it shuts down.
  10. couch714 said:
    I'm assuming it,s the psu, from what i have researched. the poewr light comes on for a few seconds, and i can hear the motherboard whistling, then it shuts down.


    Ok. So you have a problem and need to solve it. Why didn't you start off with that as your question? the PSU is a good place to start but that doesn't mean it will fix it. Have you tried another PSU or powered up the PSU while it is not connected.
  11. +1 for coolgeek
Ask a new question

Read More

Cyberpower Power Supplies Systems Product