Radeon 6850 running sloww in games

I recently installed a Radeon 6850 and now i'm finding my games lag.

Here are my specs:

AMD FX 4100 (Bulldozer) Processor @ 3.6Ghz
8Gb DDR3 Ram
MSI G31M3-L V2 Dual Channel Motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 6850

I have enough in my system to run games but I'm getting a lot of lag since installing this card.
Anyone have any ideas?
14 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6850 running sloww games
  1. What card did you have before? Did you completely uninstall the prvious video drivers with drive sweeper? Did you get the latest video card drivers from the ATI website?
  2. netops07 said:
    What card did you have before? Did you completely uninstall the prvious video drivers with drive sweeper? Did you get the latest video card drivers from the ATI website?

When I changed cards I was cleaning up my system and decided to reformat my drive and re-install Windows 7. I installed the latest catalyst drivers for the Radeon card.
  3. How are the temperatures under load?
  4. Core temps are 38 idle and 61 under load
  5. Your motherboard is socket 775 and your CPU is AM3+?
  6. You know...I wondered about that but the computer store who sold me this stuff told me it would match up.
  7. Power supply? Need the brand, wattage, and amps on the 12v rails if possible, this can all be found on the label, which is located on the power supply.
  8. The core temp probably refers to the CPU. What's important here is the GPU temp.
  9. trogdor796 said:
    Power supply? Need the brand, wattage, and amps on the 12v rails if possible, this can all be found on the label, which is located on the power supply.

I don't understand what the power supply would have to do with this. I't a 500 watt supply that is new and working fine. I don't want to sound rude but I don't see what the brand name has to do with it.
  10. kajabla said:
    The core temp probably refers to the CPU. What's important here is the GPU temp.

I'm not sure how to check the load temp of the GPU.
  11. simon12 said:
    Your motherboard is socket 775 and your CPU is AM3+?

I'm an idiot who stands corrected. I looked at the box and not the board itself.

The board is MSI 970A-G45
  12. The brand of the PSU is very important, actually. The PSU is generally considered (or should be) the most important piece of hardware in any build. A no-name PSU can actually damage your other components with voltage fluctuations, and some can actually explode. We need to know what yours is.
    Get MSI Afterburner. It has a stress tester that will display the GPU's temperature while pushing your card just about to its limit.
  13. kajabla said:
    The brand of the PSU is very important, actually. The PSU is generally considered (or should be) the most important piece of hardware in any build. A no-name PSU can actually damage your other components with voltage fluctuations, and some can actually explode. We need to know what yours is.
    Get MSI Afterburner. It has a stress tester that will display the GPU's temperature while pushing your card just about to its limit.

I remembered a program I know of called Furmark. I ran a test on that. It ran for 15 minutes at 99% load and the temp was steady at 66c-68c.
  14. That shouldn't be a problem, then. How about the 4100? Run Prime95 for 15 minutes or so and leave Speedfan or HWMonitor open.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Games Graphics