Radeon 6850 running sloww in games

Baggysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I recently installed a Radeon 6850 and now i'm finding my games lag.

Here are my specs:

AMD FX 4100 (Bulldozer) Processor @ 3.6Ghz
8Gb DDR3 Ram
MSI G31M3-L V2 Dual Channel Motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 6850

I have enough in my system to run games but I'm getting a lot of lag since installing this card.
Anyone have any ideas?

Baggysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

When I changed cards I was cleaning up my system and decided to reformat my drive and re-install Windows 7. I installed the latest catalyst drivers for the Radeon card.

Baggysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

I don't understand what the power supply would have to do with this. I't a 500 watt supply that is new and working fine. I don't want to sound rude but I don't see what the brand name has to do with it.

The brand of the PSU is very important, actually. The PSU is generally considered (or should be) the most important piece of hardware in any build. A no-name PSU can actually damage your other components with voltage fluctuations, and some can actually explode. We need to know what yours is.
Get MSI Afterburner. It has a stress tester that will display the GPU's temperature while pushing your card just about to its limit.

Baggysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

I remembered a program I know of called Furmark. I ran a test on that. It ran for 15 minutes at 99% load and the temp was steady at 66c-68c.