Sign in with
Your question
Solved

High-end games on Ultra Settings & High resolution (Monitor!)

Last response: in Systems
March 7, 2012 2:06:59 PM

Hello!
I have decided on a system as I mentioned below. I want to add a monitor which this system deserves!

CPU : i5 2500k

Mobo : GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3(R2.0) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Rams : Kingston HyperX 1600MHz (4x2) 8gb

GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 6970

PSU : CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W ATX12V v2.31

Case : Cooler Master HAF 922

I am aiming to play Skyrim , Crysis 2 , Battlefield 3 on *as much ultra as possible* in high resolution. What kind of monitor would you suggest? Also if you have any comments on the rest of the system , I'd be glad to hear

I have a maximum 190$ budget for the monitor. All I do is gaming.

NOTE: Highest rated monitors on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Please include short-brief explanations when you suggest something. I'd like to understand why you prefer it and why do you suggest it.

Thanks in advance

-Regards-
a c 111 C Monitor
March 7, 2012 2:38:04 PM

1920x1080 resolution, because they are cheaper.

e-ips panel, because the viewing angle on tn panels suck.

disregard e-ips statement above if you want 120hz or 3d.

if you must go tn panel keep it under 24".

i prefer viewsonic but i've heard good things about dell, asus.

---

for $190 it would be a tough squeeze to get an e-ips but you just might be able to. sure they dont have the 1-2ms response times or 120hz capability but they do not color shift like tn panels do at slight angles.

or you could just do as the masses like to do and buy a tn panel with a 1-2ms response time or 120hz and say it is better than the other panels because of it. some people believe it, i dont. personally i see no difference between a 1-2ms panel and a 12-14ms panel. i do see a difference in viewing angles (bigtime!)
m
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
March 7, 2012 2:41:15 PM

There are a LOT of monitors out there with a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 that are fine monitors. The four monitors you lists are this way and I would tell you to look for the connectors you want. LED Backlit, LCD and HDCP are my minimums for a "quality" monitor. That being said... Your system is set up to game at a resolution much larger than 1080. I would tell you to filter your search on a max resolution of 1920 x 1200. Prices start to jump...

Samsung 24" ($320) => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you need to stick with under $200, then the Acer below may be a good bet (1080 resolution).

Acer 23" ($160) => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
March 7, 2012 2:42:15 PM

maybe try to get an hd 7870 when it comes out, or 7950 (probably out of your budget)
both have higher performance than the 6970
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2012 2:46:00 PM

morgoth780 said:
maybe try to get an hd 7870 when it comes out, or 7950 (probably out of your budget) both have higher performance than the 6970

Seriously doubt an improvement will be seen over an HD 6970 on a single moniotr at 1920 x 1080 resolution, or 1920 x 1200 for that matter.
m
l
March 7, 2012 3:53:27 PM

I would balk from the Kingston HyperX RAM. Kingston likes to run their kits at 1.65V instead of 1.5V, and that causes major issues in most cases. I'd get G.Skill, Mushkin, Crucial etc @ 1.5V
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2012 4:44:49 PM

There is no difference between HDMI and DVI-D except what signal they carry.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2012 4:55:26 PM

azeem40 said:
There is no difference between HDMI and DVI-D except what signal they carry.

...HDCP support. Not exactly a bid deal since the monitor doesn't have speakers, but still IMHO HDMI > DVI.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2012 5:00:29 PM

I would not choose a monitor just because it doesn't include HDMI.. As long as it does what you want, HDMI won't be needed. Sound on HDMI monitors suck anyway.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2012 5:12:47 PM

azeem40 said:
I would not choose a monitor just because it doesn't include HDMI.. As long as it does what you want, HDMI won't be needed. Sound on HDMI monitors suck anyway.

Sound on monitors doesn't "suck" for everyone.

Lets ignore the sound through monitor, signal degradation starting at 6' cord length and slower throughput... How about because it is cheaper?
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2012 5:17:55 PM

HDMI has a shorter range of what resolution it can handle. HDMI is limited to 60Hz 1080p while DVI can run 120Hz 1080p.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2012 5:21:56 PM

You can actually get HDMI to output in 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, but that's about the practical limit atm. It can output in higher resolutions, but only at lower refresh rates.
m
l
a c 111 C Monitor
March 7, 2012 5:40:37 PM

lets stop the bickering people.......

OP:

hdcp support is not a huge deal. neither is dvi or hdmi. i wouldnt suggest speakers on a monitor anyways. personally i prefer dvi but its just a preference not a requirement.

what is more important is panel type, size, resolution and whether the panel is glossy or matte.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2012 5:44:53 PM

You call that bickering? There is a difference between having a discussion and bickering.

Input lag and response time is also important. Anything under 8ms is good and for input lag anything under 16ms is best. Under 16ms, your responsiveness in gaming is much better because no noticeable frame skipping is experienced by the end user. e-IPS is good for gaming as well, although not competitive where every second is crucial.
m
l
March 7, 2012 6:54:08 PM

i dont need sound thingie on the monitor. Is it called HDMI ?
m
l
March 7, 2012 7:58:50 PM

HDMI will transfer both sound and video. It tends to be on some of the premium consumer monitors.

I'm quite partial towards Dell's Professional displays (P-series - need to look under small business). They're much better than Dell's consumer-grade monitors and have great color to them while also blocking out most glare with a slight matting. LED backlighting, multi-axis stand (tilt/rotate/swivel/height), and good response times make for an overall great panel.

I have the P2411H (24" 2011 model), and I know Dell just came out with the 2412 (24" 2012) line recently. The 23" is usually much cheaper, and the E-series (also under business) is nearly the same panel but with a less-mobile stand. There wasn't much of a difference between my E2011H's and P2411H.
m
l
March 8, 2012 6:22:10 PM

I know a best answer has been chosen already, but there is just so much misinformation here regarding HDMI, DVI, and HDCP. To sum it up:

There is no difference in signal between HDMI and DVI.
HDCP is a protocol that is used to prevent piracy of high-definition signals (namely, blu-ray). In order for blu-ray to play 1080p with high-definition sound, all components of the display chain have to be HDCP-compliant (video card --> cable --> (audio receiver) --> display).
Both HDMI and DVI can be HDCP-compliant. In fact, I would be very surprised if there has been a computer monitor or a video card manufactured in the last 3 years which is not HDCP-compliant.
You cannot be HDCP-compliant when using VGA connections (D-sub).
The main pro for having HDMI input on a monitor is so you can connect consumer electronics such as the PS3, XBox, a stand-alone blu-ray player, etc. to the monitor. If you don't plan on doing that, then you can ignore whether or not HDMI is included.

And, to completely blow your mind, it is possible to carry audio over DVI. My HTPC is set up like this:
S/PDIF header on mother board
--> S/PDIF input on video card (EVGA 9800 GTX+)
--> DVI out on video card
--> DVI to HDMI cable
--> LCD tv
--> Digital S/PDIF optical out to Onkyo receiver

Currently, I just use the coaxial S/PDIF to the receiver directly so I can listen to music w/o the TV on, but the above configuration works and is possible.

I personally do not recommend using HDMI on computers that are connected to regular monitors, especially not for audio purposes, as DVI just seems to work better in my experience. But that's just my own opinion, of course.

The main thing is to make sure that your video card and your monitor have the same connections (DVI <--> DVI) or (HDMI <--> HDMI) or even (DisplayPort <--> DisplayPort).
m
l
!