Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Lower level gaming for less than $200

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 7, 2012 2:30:43 PM

What I'm looking for: mobo, cpu, case, psu, ram, and possibly a graphics card

What I've got: dvd drives, hard drives, think i have some extra fans, and might re-use my Radeon HD 2600XT unless something better is brought up

I just wanna be able to play some newer games, I'm on an old HP dx5150 with 1GB ram, and rather than paying a ton upgrading an dated tech, why not upgrade to a better system. So prety much, just any suggestions?

More about : lower level gaming 200

March 7, 2012 2:41:56 PM

umm, for $200 I'd say go with a console if you have a TV available, or worst case a handheld.

$200 is just not much to go on,

cheapest of the cheap - A4 APu ~$70, mobo ~$50, ram ~$30, psu ~$60 that alone puts you at $210, while you still need a case.

And even then, I just wouldn't recommend going with an APU because your upgrade options are limited to that socket.

basically, I say your budget is too slim
Score
0
March 7, 2012 2:43:28 PM

AntiZig said:
umm, for $200 I'd say go with a console if you have a TV available, or worst case a handheld.

$200 is just not much to go on,

cheapest of the cheap - A4 APu ~$70, mobo ~$50, ram ~$30, psu ~$60 that alone puts you at $210, while you still need a case.

And even then, I just wouldn't recommend going with an APU because your upgrade options are limited to that socket.

basically, I say your budget is too slim

+1
Score
0
Related resources
March 7, 2012 2:55:08 PM

For $200 you can get a fast cpu, new mobo, and 8GB or DDR3. If you want psu, case and graphics card, you'll need at least another $200.
Score
0
March 7, 2012 2:58:12 PM

Yep, the Options are just too Slim....
Score
0
March 7, 2012 3:17:02 PM

You're probably right. I'll probly save up like $300 or so and buy everything i need except the case unless I can find a cheap case/psu combo. My B-day's in like a week I wanted to see if I could piece something together to atleast order by then. Any opinions on $300? (I know its still a tight budget but just trying to get options.)
Score
0
March 7, 2012 3:43:13 PM

Tiger Direct has a barebones kit with case, crappy PSU, AMD Athlon II X3 445, 4 GB RAM, DVD, and 500 GB HDD for $199.

get a better PSU (Antec 350W, $29.99) and a either a 6670 ($69.99) or if you can go a little over $300 a 7750 ($110), and that will be a decent low end gamer
Score
0

Best solution

March 7, 2012 3:44:39 PM

i3-2120
H61/H67 depending on your needs/uses, starting at $59
8GB ddr3 going for around $25 after rebate.
You can find a good case for around $35-50
You can get a good 400w psu for around $40-$60

When you have the money, repost, prices and promotions change daily and we can give you a more specific suggestion.
Share
March 7, 2012 5:53:34 PM

Geek I'm going off your suggestion right now. What do you think about this combo

i3 2120
http://www.1stchoicememory.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=...

H61
http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/catalog_type.asp?Prod...

Case/PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Logisys+Computer-_-11148047

Ram
I'll figure in $50 atleast for ram just in case i cant find any deals


I have a hdd, monitor, and cd/dvd

That's roughly $250 before s/h
what do you think?
Score
0
March 7, 2012 6:09:25 PM

$300 is enough for a H61, Sandy bridge pentium, 1x 4 GB RAM, HD 6770, case and PSU.
Score
0
March 7, 2012 6:33:01 PM

firefrog6 said:
Geek I'm going off your suggestion right now. What do you think about this combo

i3 2120
http://www.1stchoicememory.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=...

H61
http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/catalog_type.asp?Prod...

Case/PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Logisys+Computer-_-11148047

Ram
I'll figure in $50 atleast for ram just in case i cant find any deals


I have a hdd, monitor, and cd/dvd

That's roughly $250 before s/h
what do you think?


Looks good but I certainly wouldn't trust that psu with MY parts. It's up to you.
Score
0
March 7, 2012 6:33:20 PM

FinneousPJ said:
$300 is enough for a H61, Sandy bridge pentium, 1x 4 GB RAM, HD 6770, case and PSU.


Why not list it for him?
Score
0
March 7, 2012 6:49:57 PM

psh you people are rediculous. 200$ budget? maybe a tad bit low, add another 50-100 and you could do something, especally because you have the cd drive, hard drive, and a video card, see, low budgets dont always need to buy every part. my next computer going to cost about 250$, with shipping. i need to know what your hard drive's connections are, IDE/PATA or SATA, as well as you optical drive, and your video card, is it AGP or PCIe 1.0/2.0? there are ways to save money an dthen upgrade mor eparts later, like video card, one of the biggest factors in a very low budget is motherboard, it has to have all teh connections to use any parts you want to use, and be abel to upgrade, while still being overall cheap in price, which is why AMD fits the superlow budget, AM3 socket mobos usually have more features (and often older connection options) for the same price as other socket boards. tell me what connections you have and ill try to think something up.
Score
0
March 7, 2012 6:57:35 PM

geekapproved said:
Looks good but I certainly wouldn't trust that psu with MY parts. It's up to you.



so if we kick the case/psu combo what PSU would you go with for that combo, preferably within like a $50 price range my case will fit the mobo im assuming.
Score
0
March 7, 2012 7:03:03 PM

Buy a separate PSU; Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair. A 380W Antec Earthwatts, 400W Corsair Builder, or Antec VP450 (in that order of preference, IMHO) would be the way to go.
Score
0
March 7, 2012 7:11:08 PM

fire you can also find a cheap old computer case just about anywhere that sells old junk or somewhere that is recently upgrading, even if they look like nasty tan old poeple cases, a coat of fresh black spraypaint does wonders.
Score
0
March 7, 2012 7:14:00 PM

Mild the hdd's are SATA and the dvd drives are IDE, but small stuff like that I'm not too worried about, and the grapics card is PCIe 1.0 I believe, but if I go with the h61 for now I'd be satisfied long enough to earn some money for a new graphics card
Score
0
March 7, 2012 7:42:48 PM

geekapproved said:
Why not list it for him?

He doesn't have $300 yet...
Score
0
March 7, 2012 7:55:36 PM

FinneousPJ said:
He doesn't have $300 yet...


Ok.....so......why are you listing what he can get for $300?
Score
0
March 7, 2012 8:20:07 PM

fire also the onboard gpu on some adm motherboards (like the hd 4250 i think os one option) is much better than intels hd or even hd 2000 (reg hd usually in pentium and laptops) and i dont think it will be easy to find a h61 board with PCIe 1.0, and plus re using that cd drive (you wont find a decent h61 board with a ide slot, if any at all) will also save you 20-30$, that could go to a case or video card or ram, and plus most h61 boards cost more than similar featured AM3, super low budget sometimes has benifets to amd, even if their cpu's arent as high performance. they will still play most of what you stated as games you wanted to be able to play.
Score
0
March 7, 2012 8:40:02 PM

Yeah I agree a lot of newer boards wont have an IDE slot, but as I said I'm not too worried about small stuff like the hdd cd/dvd roms. As for the case as long as I stick with a Micro ATX board I'm all set. I'll just use current case. And the graphics card I'm not to sure of any ways, a friend of mine who works for a construction company was clearing out apartments and found a box of 9 Radeon 1600's and 2 2600's and a lot of 1GB Server Ram, I'll be trying to sell all them this weekend hopefully... I've been stuck on AMD for a while and havent really tried any of Intel's new stuff ( I know it's more expensive but what the hay right?)
Score
0
March 7, 2012 9:16:00 PM

Did a quick Build....

CPU
AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor (79.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MEMORY
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1333ELK (44.99) - $10 rebate + free 8gb flash card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CASE
XION XON-180 Meshed Black/Red Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (34.99) - $10 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COMBO MB & PSU
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($94) -$25
-1x ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

GPU
SAPPHIRE 100326DDR3L Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (69.99) -$15

TOTAL $325 +Shipping
TOTAL after MIR = $265 + shipping

No onboard graphics on the MB so you will need a video card. You could cut the budget down by getting a cheaper CPU & GPU But thats about as low as I'd go on both the CPU and GPU...pretty tight budget. I bought parts over a couple months for a cheap ($150) home server I built so it can be done. Patience is bitter, but its fruit sweet......good luck
Score
0
March 7, 2012 11:08:23 PM

pacific27 said:
Did a quick Build....

CPU
AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor (79.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MEMORY
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1333ELK (44.99) - $10 rebate + free 8gb flash card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CASE
XION XON-180 Meshed Black/Red Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (34.99) - $10 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COMBO MB & PSU
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($94) -$25
-1x ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

GPU
SAPPHIRE 100326DDR3L Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (69.99) -$15

TOTAL $325 +Shipping
TOTAL after MIR = $265 + shipping

No onboard graphics on the MB so you will need a video card. You could cut the budget down by getting a cheaper CPU & GPU But thats about as low as I'd go on both the CPU and GPU...pretty tight budget. I bought parts over a couple months for a cheap ($150) home server I built so it can be done. Patience is bitter, but its fruit sweet......good luck


he said he could probably use his old case as well so that takes off 35$, leavng this build under 300. or at about 315-320 (just a guess) with shipping, whioch people never seem to include... also very similar to what i was going to suggest.
Score
0
March 8, 2012 12:20:24 PM

Thank you all for being so helpful. I think I'm still gonna stick on the i3 path with a h67 or h61 mobo, and probly one of the Antec psu's someone recommended earlier, and I'll look around for some Ram. So this has came out to be a little under $300 build (without case and graphics card ) but I can pick up other stuff over time. This will end up being a lot better than the POS i have now (i cant run youtube and minecraft at the same time without lag in one or the other)

All in all Thanks
Score
0
March 8, 2012 12:21:34 PM

Best answer selected by firefrog6.
Score
0
March 8, 2012 2:12:53 PM

mildgamer001 said:
he said he could probably use his old case as well so that takes off 35$, leavng this build under 300. or at about 315-320 (just a guess) with shipping, whioch people never seem to include... also very similar to what i was going to suggest.

Most builds do not include shipping because the shipping prices will be different from area to area, depending on where the purchaser orders from...

Obviously shipping if I ordered it would be different from where you order it from, unless you lived next door to me.
Score
0
March 8, 2012 8:37:33 PM

true pez, but lots of new builders dont initially think of shipping, which often adds a ton of extra cost. i think it is best to at least mention the LIKELY shipping from the site that they plan to get the parts from.
Score
0
March 8, 2012 9:05:08 PM

yea for me I generally look for the lowest price including s/h, surely sometimes I forget.
Score
0
March 9, 2012 12:18:40 AM

firefrog6 said:
Thank you all for being so helpful. I think I'm still gonna stick on the i3 path with a h67 or h61 mobo, and probly one of the Antec psu's someone recommended earlier, and I'll look around for some Ram. So this has came out to be a little under $300 build (without case and graphics card ) but I can pick up other stuff over time. This will end up being a lot better than the POS i have now (i cant run youtube and minecraft at the same time without lag in one or the other)

All in all Thanks


Good choice. The i3 is the way to go. Go with the i3-2120 if you can, it's usually close in price to the 2100.

This is a good board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
March 9, 2012 3:11:31 PM

Any worth-while ram to go along with that board geek? so far it's gonna be the ASRock board you suggested, the Antec Earthwatts 380, and the i3-2120 just need ram then saving up for a decent GPU
Score
0
March 9, 2012 4:21:10 PM

Gskill, Corsair, Kingston, Patriot, Mushkin are all good brands. I would suggest 4GBx2 kit of DDR3-1333, or you could even go with 1600 and it will downclock itself to 1333, just make sure it's not over 1.5v.

I also would suggest a larger psu, not that you need it now, but when you upgrade to a quad core and a faster gpu your not going to want to replace the psu again.

I can't suggest one today because there are no deals going on right now, but usually every week there is a killer deal on a 550-600w after rebate. I recommend a quality brand that's at least 80+ certified. Antec, corsair, xfx are my first choices.

There's usually killer ram deals every week too, but I just looked and there are none today.
Score
0
March 9, 2012 6:13:29 PM

Yeah i was looking at some gskill and patriot 2x4GB kits. and ill deff consider buying a larger psu now instead of later. Ill keep looking around hopefully I'll be buying everything by the end of next week. If any options change, I'll most likely post and see what you guys think
Score
0
!