Video Card issue on new PC

HenryGale42

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
At the end of November, I purchased a new desktop (specs here) along with a new video card (specs here) to upgrade from the card included with the PC. This is meant to be a media center pc.

I found that the PSU included couldn't handle all of my HDDs (4 of them, heavy media storage), so I upgraded the PSU to this one without any hitches.

I finally got around to installing the new card a few weeks ago and was unable to obtain a video signal from the card (only signal I got was from the onboard video). After plenty of trial and error, I fianyll gave up and assumed it's a bad card. I reinstalled the card that originally came with the PC and got signal again and had to leave it at that as the holidays kept me from messing with it.

Since then, I have had a few crashes and freezes that windows said were related to the video driver, so today I completely uninstalled the (original, factory installed) video card and drivers and attempted to completely reinstall it to correct the problem.

Now, I find that the PC will not acknowledge either of the video cards (the new one I purchased or the one provided with the PC) in the PCI-E slot. I am only able to get video signal from the onboard. I have completely uninstalled all video drivers, disabled the onboard video in the devices control panel, and made sure the BIOS is set to PCI-E for primary display. Still, I can only get a video signal if using the onboard video, I get no signal from the video card, no matter which one I am attempting to use.

I'm going a little nuts as this is a replacement for my previous machine that gave me as much hell as possible before I finally decided to replace it. I'm just ready to load up all my apps and get this thing up and running...

Any ideas? I thought about bad RAM, bad PCI-E slot, etc etc, but the installed card was running fine til I messed with it like an idiot. Although for the record, I have replaced video cards before (recently in a PC by the same manufacturer) with no issues. No idea what's causing so much trouble with this one.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to take a few shots in the dark. :)

If you are able to get Windows System Restore running, just restore it to a restore point that is before anything to do with the new video card.

You may need to turn off the on-board video card in the BIOS, even though it was working with the Nvidia card.
Do you have any other PCI cards in any slots? If so, try and