Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

LGA 2011 build

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 7, 2012 4:58:07 PM

Hi there.

I am building myself an LGA 2011 desktop, but I don´t know how strong PSU I should use. The computer would/will consist of:

- Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
- CPU Intel core i7-3930K
- CPU Fan Zalman CNPS12X
- RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB (4x4GB) 1866MHz CL9
- VGA MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC
- SSD OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, 3,5", SATAII, SSD, MLC
- HDD Western Digital IntelliPower 3RZ 2TB, 64MB, SATAIII/600, WD20EARX
- DVD/RW- ROM ASUS DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS
- Case Corsair 500R Carbide

I am still not sure about the case, but wheter or not I choose this particular model, I intent to pick one with a good airflow, thus including a couple of extra vents (and maybe a display up front). I also intend to at least slightly OC the CPU in the future and also add one additional graphics card to CrossFire. I was considering buying a high quality 750W but I am unsure whether it would handle future modifications/improvements and thus I am now thinking about a (maybe) cheaper 1000W PSU (growing low on budget).
Could anyone give an advice what to pick/buy? Or at least at what type of PSUs I should be looking at? It would be much appreciated :) 

More about : lga 2011 build

March 7, 2012 5:05:06 PM

Get the Hyper 212 EVO. It is more reliable. Change the SSD to Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 as they are also more reliable. The 500R is an excellent case. If you're just gaming, 8gb of RAM is plenty. Even if you plan to CF that 6950, you won't need more than a 750W unit from Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX.
March 7, 2012 5:19:40 PM

azeem40 said:
Get the Hyper 212 EVO. It is more reliable. Change the SSD to Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 as they are also more reliable. The 500R is an excellent case. If you're just gaming, 8gb of RAM is plenty. Even if you plan to CF that 6950, you won't need more than a 750W unit from Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX.


On a 3930K build, I'd go with a Noctua D14 or Phanteks TC-14:
- Noctua D14: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Phanteks TC-14: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
Could anyone give an advice what to pick/buy? Or at least at what type of PSUs I should be looking at? It would be much appreciated :) 


If you're contemplating a 6950 - wait a couple weeks and go with a 7870 - it's matching the GTX 580 and even beating it in some cases for like 1/2 the cost: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

But do *NOT* get a Vertex 2 as your primary SSD - it's old and outdated, I'd second the aforementioned Crucial M4 or Samsung 830.

Quote:
I am still not sure about the case, but wheter or not I choose this particular model, I intent to pick one with a good airflow,


The Corsair Carbide is an excellent choice - you will not be disappointed.

Quote:
I was considering buying a high quality 750W but I am unsure whether it would handle future modifications/improvements and thus I am now thinking about a (maybe) cheaper 1000W PSU (growing low on budget).


Try this one as it might meet your price / performance needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
March 7, 2012 5:44:13 PM

750w is enough for CF 6950s on an LGA 1155 build, might not be enough on an LGA 2011 build, so I'll agree completely with g-unit1111.
March 7, 2012 5:51:09 PM

alphaalphaalpha said:
750w is enough for CF 6950s on an LGA 1155 build, might not be enough on an LGA 2011 build, so I'll agree completely with g-unit1111.


Actually according to my PSU wattage calculator 750 doesn't even come close on an LGA 2011 build using a CF'd 7870:
http://support.asus.com/PowerSupply.aspx?SLanguage=en

It recommends minimum 1000W and if you take my rule of adding 50W for overclocking and 100W for an additional video card you're looking at a 1200W minimum.

Try this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 7, 2012 6:00:54 PM

Anihel said:
Actually, I was considering an OCZ ZX 1000W or Corsair HX 1050W

OCZ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

However even with one of these, I´ll be getting slightly over budget. I´m afraid, that Seasonic X-1250 will be over the budget quite a lot...


The Corsair will be a much safer choice than the OCZ will, the Seasonic X1250 might be a bit excessive yes but Seasonic is definitely one of the best PSU vendors on the market.
March 7, 2012 6:14:34 PM

I think I´ll go for the Corsair. I´d love to get the seasonic, at least the 1050W, but I´m afraid that would leave me with empty pockets...
But I´ll think about it. Thanks for all your advice so far :) 
March 14, 2012 3:55:55 PM

Anihel said:
Hi there.

I am building myself an LGA 2011 desktop, but I don´t know how strong PSU I should use. The computer would/will consist of:

- Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
- CPU Intel core i7-3930K
- CPU Fan Zalman CNPS12X
- RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB (4x4GB) 1866MHz CL9
- VGA MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC
- SSD OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, 3,5", SATAII, SSD, MLC
- HDD Western Digital IntelliPower 3RZ 2TB, 64MB, SATAIII/600, WD20EARX
- DVD/RW- ROM ASUS DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS
- Case Corsair 500R Carbide

I am still not sure about the case, but wheter or not I choose this particular model, I intent to pick one with a good airflow, thus including a couple of extra vents (and maybe a display up front). I also intend to at least slightly OC the CPU in the future and also add one additional graphics card to CrossFire. I was considering buying a high quality 750W but I am unsure whether it would handle future modifications/improvements and thus I am now thinking about a (maybe) cheaper 1000W PSU (growing low on budget).
Could anyone give an advice what to pick/buy? Or at least at what type of PSUs I should be looking at? It would be much appreciated :) 


Hi Anihel,

Take a look at my rig at the following links below. Similar setup. I also built my system with the hopes it will be easy to upgrade later as well future proof to a point.

HAF -X is as good as it gets when it comes to Hi-Airflow currently.
Corsair and Enermax have some good PSU's

Original post: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691...
Easier to see pics here at bottom of chain: http://www.overclock.net/t/1198936/lga-2011-new-build-h...

There is an excel sheet that lists each item I used, the cost at the time, and the vendor I got the item from.

Here is a link where you can enter your components for your system build. It gives you an estimate of what power PSU you will need. It is not an exact science but it works.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Hope it helps.
March 15, 2012 12:35:25 PM

Fixed one of the URL link above.
March 15, 2012 2:13:31 PM

come on guys no ones gonna need 1.2k psu for 2 6950.

Hello op

all you need is a 750w on a 1155
but on 2011 850 w is more than enough.
Psu calculator says a 700w min and 750 w recomended:) 

i even add 50 percent capacitor decay and 100 percent load :o 

if this build is for gaming then i7 is a overkill but 2011 is massive overkill

for a gaming build this should be the specs

intel i5 2500k
asrock z68 extreme4 gen3
noctua nh d-14
corsair vengence 2x4 gb low profile 1600mhz
sapphire hd 7970 oc edition
seasonic x 850w 80+ gold
mushkin treadline 128 gb sata3 ssd
seagate baracuda 1 tb 7.2k rpm hdd
asus 24x dvd burner
corsair 600t white edition
windows 7 home premium 64 bit
March 15, 2012 2:24:47 PM

if u do some kind of rendering on maya or do vray and also play games then this build is optimal

intel i7 3930k
cm hyper 212 evo
asrock x79 extreme4
4x4 gb of corsair vengence 1600mhz ddr3 ram
msi twin frozer ii gtx 560ti 2 gb
seasonic x 750w 80+ gold
mushkin treadline 128 gb sata3
seagate baracuda 1tb 7200 rpm hdd
asus 24x dvd burner
windows 7 pro
corsair 600t white edition or cm strom trooper

March 15, 2012 2:35:31 PM

if u do video editing or it is a daw build and gaming then

intel i7 2600k
noctua nh d14
asrock z68 extreme4 gen3
corsair vengence 2x8 gb 1600 mhz ddr3 ram
mushkin treadline 128 gb ssd
seagate baracuda 1 tb hdd
asus bd burner
sapphire hd 7950 oc
seasonic x 850 80+ gold
corsair 600t white edition or cm storm trooper
windows 7 pro

and if audio workstation then
creative titanium xfi sound card

March 17, 2012 3:53:46 PM

I have already bought the HX 1050 Corsair PSU. Yes, it isn´t the best but it should be high quality nonetheless, reaching almost 80+ gold efficiency at 50% load. And I´d like to think that there should be such loads based on your comments and PSU calculations (rather than lower efficiency at more load with "weaker" PSUs).
Also I am considering to install Corsair 100H cooling instead of an air cooling in the Corsair Carbide 500R case (which I already have) to save some space around the CPU as well as for high performance cooling.
Also I´ll probably go for the 7870 graphics when it´ll be available.
March 17, 2012 8:49:00 PM

Anihel said:
Hi there.

I am building myself an LGA 2011 desktop, but I don´t know how strong PSU I should use. The computer would/will consist of:

- Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
- CPU Intel core i7-3930K
- CPU Fan Zalman CNPS12X
- RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB (4x4GB) 1866MHz CL9
- VGA MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC
- SSD OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, 3,5", SATAII, SSD, MLC
- HDD Western Digital IntelliPower 3RZ 2TB, 64MB, SATAIII/600, WD20EARX
- DVD/RW- ROM ASUS DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS
- Case Corsair 500R Carbide

I am still not sure about the case, but wheter or not I choose this particular model, I intent to pick one with a good airflow, thus including a couple of extra vents (and maybe a display up front). I also intend to at least slightly OC the CPU in the future and also add one additional graphics card to CrossFire. I was considering buying a high quality 750W but I am unsure whether it would handle future modifications/improvements and thus I am now thinking about a (maybe) cheaper 1000W PSU (growing low on budget).
Could anyone give an advice what to pick/buy? Or at least at what type of PSUs I should be looking at? It would be much appreciated :) 

can you fill this out please. im not sure you will benefit from sandy bridge-e- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
!