New PC freezes up and loops sound into loud buzzing.

knzi

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
So i have recently put together a new PC and im already having crash issues, that i cant really figure out whats causing.

What happens is that my computer freezes up and a loud buzzing noise starts comming from my speakers, hereafter i click the reset switch on my computer and everything will be fine until next time.

It has happened about 2-3 times a day since i started using the computer and has only happened during gaming (wow, all points bulletin, aion) and watching longer videos online such as shows on gamebreaker.tv or NBA games on NBA.com's league pass.

I've tried installing the latest drivers for my MB and my GPU but it keeps happening.
I have also tried using one of the online PSU calculators to get an estimation of wether my PSU is providing sufficient power.

I have tried running Furmark for 10 minutes without without any problems, no crash,. however using IntelBurnTestV2 seems to be provoking crashes, the first time i wasnt really paying attention and my computer ended up turning it self off, which i didnt know was caused by the program, however the second time i ran the program my computer froze, pretty early on.

I suspect the buzzing noise from the speakers being the sound from games/music/Videos being looped into a buzzing sound.

My PC Specs are:

Asus P8Z68-V LE
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.30 GHz, with a zalman CNPS9900 max fan.
2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 DDR3 ram
Asus Radeon HD 5850
1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA hard drive
1x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA Hard drive (unfortunately dont remember the specifics about the drives, dno if it really matters?)
Corsair TX650 Watt PSU.

I hope someone might have an idea of whats going wrong, I checked yesterday if anything was loose but everything seemed to be in order.

if you need more information about anything please do ask.

windryyder

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hi,

I would first try running memtest86 or the windows memory test for a few hours to see if it comes up with any errors. You could also try running the pc with just one stick of ram, see if it locks up or not, and then try the other stick of ram to see if one of the Memory sticks is bad. You can also try moving the RAM to different slots on the motherboard as well to rule out a bad RAM slot on the hard drive. Faulty ram can cause lockups, random reboots, and blue screens so I would check that first.

knzi

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
hey guys, thx for the quick responses,.

In regards to overheating i dont think its the case,. On top of the cpu fan stated in the topic i've got 3 120mm fans as well, and my CPU doesnt seem to exceed 40 degrees C,. and my gpu sits pretty stable at arround 45 degrees with low fan speed setting,. Also GPU fan is heatcontrolled, so the hotter the card gets the quicker the fan spins..

but ye arround 30-35 degrees on my cpu being idle in wow and listening to music, havent seen it exceed 40 degrees while i'm in combat situations etc,.

I will start trying this out first thing tomorrow,. and i'll update if anything changes,. :)
- Is it a big deal which slots you use for the ram? according my CPU-Z i'm currently using slot 2 and 4, i dont suspect this could be the issue?

knzi

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Okay so i seem to have figured it out, or at least i havent had any problems seen doing what i did..

After running memtest the first time my pc stalled, so i switched the RAM slots and ran memtest again which ended in an error message #2 @ their FAQ.. It all came down to the bios settings on my Motherboard having a "performance setting" which i had chosen to run with,. After switching back to normal i got windows message saying i couldnt boot windows because of a (if i remember correctly) hardware error,. I then chose to Format C: and reinstall windows and using default bios settings, havent had a crash since.
And i hope it will stay that way..

Thanks for your help guys, so far its been good and i'll mark this topic as solved for now :)

bethereorbsquare

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
had the same prblem for the longest time and tried replacing drivers, tried many different things. Then it dawned on me (6 months later) Its SleepMode interfering with my video driver as it tries to put the computer to sleep while Iam watching a vid...Disable sleepmode altogether, I did and problem solved.

tumah

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

I think I love you. In fact, I'm sure of it.
I've had this problem for well over 6 months. Mostly when I was streaming shows. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't happen when I was playing games. Makes perfect sense now. I'm constantly moving the mouse or pressing key during games, but I leave everything alone when I'm watching videos. Sometimes I'd be streaming shows and it would keep happening again and again. Read something about adobe and chrome, so I tired IE but it didn't help. Now I realize its because I had my sleep mode set to two minutes.