Alienware Aurora PSU Change

flook1e

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hello everyone,

I purchased an Alienware Aurora back in 2009, and recently have had the intention to replace the Graphics Card. It's worth mentioning that I'm a complete noob.

So for Christmas, I purchased a Gainward GTX 570 Phantom. Tried to install it yesterday and all I hear is "beeeep beeeep beeep" - I cannot see anything on my screen and it's correctly fitted in.

Looked on the forums and it seems that it's probably a PSU issue. I thought that all i7s were shipped with 875watt psu but one of the labels in the case says 525watt. The minimum specs for the Graphics card is 550 watt with one 6-pin and one 8-pin pci power connectors. When i connected the graphics card I think i connected two 6-pins to a 8 pin adapter which plugged into the component itself. I don't think I used the 6-pin input was occupied. Could that be a problem?

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty much computer illiterate.

Here's my comp specs:

Alienware Aurora Standard Cosmic Black Chassis
Memory
6GB 1333MHz (3x2GB) Tri Channel Memory
Video Card
1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX260 graphics card
Hard Drive
500GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English
Optical Devices
24X DVD+/- RW Optical Drive (DVD & CD read and write)
Sound Cards
Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio
Processor
Intel? Core? i7 Processor 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB cache, 4.8GT/sec)

I really appreciate any help, and I'm sorry for clogging your forums with more questions!

Alienware isn't that good! Why do you get it? If you are going to get one avoid it at all cost! Build your own computer! Hope this is a lesson for you!

I don't understand on how you put the 6-pin and the 8-pin PCI-E connectors. All you have to do is to get one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI-E connectors from the PSU and plug it both to your GPU. That's it. Do this after you put your new PSU in OK?

However if you either don't have both or have both, I suggest changing your PSU to a decent PSU brand like antec, corsair, seasonic, XFX, silverstone, OCZ, and many other famous brands.

I recommend you to get at least 48A on the 12V+ rail (48A*12V=576W) Power supply with decent brand. And I also recommend bronze 80+ power supply to get an efficient PSU.

Responses like this do also.
The OP came here looking for help, shouldn't matter what computer system he has.

Both connectors need to be occupied.
2 x 6 pin to 1 x 8 pin adapters are a joke
All you should need is a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=6+pin+to+8+pin+pci-e+adapter&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1536&bih=836&wrapid=tlif132568152007710&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13101281161116697679&sa=X&ei=dUsET6LqLcfx0gGpkPWaAg&ved=0CJ0BEPMCMAY#