Win 8 won't let me install programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjayr

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hello,
When I try to install programs I've downloaded, I get the security pop-up "do you want to let this program make changes" and i click yes. Then, nothing! I have tried this on many different programs, most recently AmazonMP3DownloaderInstall.exe but also java installer jxpiinstall.exe.
I use Norton 360, so i disabled the firewall and virus protection to see if that was the problem, but nothing happened.
This is an HP p6823w with 64bit win8, 12GB Ram and an ATI Radeon HD4200 graphics adapter.

Solution

to which a flammer might respond: "If you were educated, you wouldn't use incorrect grammar."
see how that works?
Anyone can slam. It takes a bit of class to uplift and provide useful information. Just because this is the internet doesn't mean you can't be civil.

johnjayr

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

i am a professional, thank you. I am working on getting the bugs out of win8.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

Understandable. Most professionals would tell you to either uninstall Norton or disable all features, and services. Norton is a trouble maker to beginning with.

johnjayr

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

to which a flammer might respond: "If you were educated, you wouldn't use incorrect grammar."
see how that works?
Anyone can slam. It takes a bit of class to uplift and provide useful information. Just because this is the internet doesn't mean you can't be civil.

Solution

Hi :)

Our opinions differ , which is fine....

Norton is the ONLY AV my shops install on all machines AFTER removing Viruses....

Its also the ONLY AV we sell in my shops... I wont sell anything that does NOT work...

All the best Brett :)

Totally uninstalling Norton would be my first port of call as well.
It may not be the issue but would certainly rule it out as the No1 suspect for your issues.

I personally avoid Norton like the plague, I have extensive experience with it and unlike Brett all my experience with it has been bad.

Mactronix :)

He HAS already disabled it (it didn't help)...as he has paid for it, he may as well turn it back on...lol

And that message hes is getting that's causing all the problems is NOT a Norton message...its a Windows message...

Oh and Brett, you should know that posting in Caps is considered rude and bad manners on this forum.
Please refrain from needlessly doing so in future.
It comes across as condescending.
Thank you in advance for your consideration and co-operation in this matter.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

That's why it has been ranked #3 for 3 years running... rotfl

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
And I would suggest watching the task manager as well. Watch it when the program loads, see if it stays active for a few seconds and then closes, or if it closes immediately after you select yes or no. If it waits around for anything more that a full second, Windows has nothing to do with it. If the UAC stops it, it stops it EARLY and often.

I would suggest uninstalling Norton, for real, because it does not catch malware as good as MSE which is already running as it is (it is built into Windows 8)... so you have Norton and MSE running which is negatively impacting both system security and performance. Anyone that knows anything about malware protection will tell you that running 2 is worse than running none.

The CAPS are for emphasis, not rudeness, I suspect you are mixing up people who post ALL their sentences in caps...

And since I have been posting this way for well over 30 years, I hardly think I will alter my style now...

Thanks for the advice though :)

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Oh, so you have been posting since before 1983? Funny internet wasn't made available to the public till the 1990's...

Did I mention i was posting on "the internet" ...nope...

You have heard of BBS ?

I was on them in the Seventies...

Thats over 15 years BEFORE you were born (I am ancient lol)

Now I could post several instances where you have posted all in caps but I'm not that childish.

@ johnjayr,

Well you have 3 people telling you to get shot of Norton and one who incorrectly is insisting its "perfect".
The one person who is saying its not an issue works in a shop that only sells Norton as an AV solution. That really should tell you all you need to know about the situation.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

Make that 4 Microsoft answers\
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-pictures/windows-8-photos-app-calendar-messaging-and/ef672ca8-8e92-418f-aa60-155bd94d0942?msgId=273b90c6-dfcc-4003-96df-b4b3e4ab3cc7
Microsoft is answering people uninstall all 3 party AV until a fix can be made.These 3rd party apps are causing issues with install of software, that is 4 telling you, including the people that develop windows

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

I have done told them... but Im glad someone else understands :D lol, people think that we are just some ignorant teenager sitting in our moms and dads basements... When in fact, I am in webinars all day with the developers with Microsoft. Its not a "fix" or a "issue" it has been designed this way. One of the BIGGEST reasons PCs lose performance is because Norton and McAfee and these other "services" will stop Window's critical services for maintenance and upkeep, like your automatic defrag and disk cleanups, thus is one of the major reasons people see performance decreases over periods of time. Not to include these programs, in the past, have been given full access to critical code in programs, like Internet Explorer, where they can change default settings to something less "secure" or something more "restricting" when it comes to features. For example, back in Windows Vista days, the UAC was meant to be a way to fight 3rd party programs from changing things like your settings, without you knowing. But when you allowed Norton (I believe it was the 2007 version) , it would change all of your IE settings to "allow". So anytime a script tried to run, no mater how malicious it was, you was powerless to stop it. Norton backed up their action by stating that, even if your machine runs the script our program will stop it from harming your machine. That's kind of like saying "Ill put a hole in your boat and we will just use a pale to throw the water back out again". We all know that PREVENTION is the best way to fight malware, and Windows by itself does a better job than any 3rd party program at prevention by simply using the screen filter, UAC, phishing filters, and so on.

And on a side note totally not speaking on behalf of anyone, just my personal opinion. I believe that these third party programs turn off these essential services of Windows so you will attract more forms of malware. This ensures them that you will buy their product next year. "Norton said I had 25 virus last month, better make sure I renew it!". But that is pure speciation, but I feel most people would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS