Anyone have an Epson Stylus Pro 4000? Comments?

I am thinking about buying one of these and I would like to hear some
comments on it. Is it expensive to run ink wise? Is there a CIS for it?
How is the image quality compared to a Epson 1280 and how is the image
quality in general? Speed? Also, any other comments would be welcome.

thanks

--
Post your pictures and discuss photography here:

http://www.rickbakerimages.com
2 answers Last reply
More about anyone epson stylus 4000 comments

    >Rick Baker writes ...
    >
    >I am thinking about buying one of these and I would like to hear
    >some comments on it.

    A couple of us on this NG have one, Mark Morgan and me.

    >Is it expensive to run ink wise?

    The first time you turn it on it will run thru about $100 worth of ink
    filling the lines and priming the heads. After that initial shock it
    isn't too bad :) Last time I checked it was costing me about 50 cents
    per 11x14" print with the 110 ml carts (would be a bit less with the
    220 ml carts).

    >Is there a CIS for it?

    I think so, but the main reason to buy the printer is for the Epson
    inks and accurate ICC profiles so I would recommend against it. For
    example the CIS systems only have one flavor of black ink so you are
    compromised with the softer watercolor or art papers.

    >How is the image quality compared to a Epson 1280

    Much, much better since the profiles are more accurate and gray
    balanced (I also have a 1280).

    > how is the image quality in general?

    Excellent.

    > Speed?

    Fast ... I have a pdf of a review John Paul Caponigro wrote on the 4000
    for a magazine which talks about these issues, email me if you want a
    copy.

    >Also, any other comments would be welcome.

    I would recommend that you NOT buy the 4000 however, since it is being
    replaced by the new, improved 4800, which has the new K3 ink set for
    improved black/white performance and better performance with glossy
    papers (ie, no gloss differential). The 4800 (and 2400, 7800 and 9800)
    were just announced about 3 weeks ago. Here's a review of the 9800,
    same printer except 44" wide, by Joe Holmes ...
    http://www.josephholmes.com/news.html

    Bill

    Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!

    --

    "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
    > >Rick Baker writes ...
    >>
    >>I am thinking about buying one of these and I would like to hear
    >>some comments on it.
    >
    > A couple of us on this NG have one, Mark Morgan and me.
    >
    >>Is it expensive to run ink wise?
    >
    > The first time you turn it on it will run thru about $100 worth of ink
    > filling the lines and priming the heads. After that initial shock it
    > isn't too bad :) Last time I checked it was costing me about 50 cents
    > per 11x14" print with the 110 ml carts (would be a bit less with the
    > 220 ml carts).
    >
    >>Is there a CIS for it?
    >
    > I think so, but the main reason to buy the printer is for the Epson
    > inks and accurate ICC profiles so I would recommend against it. For
    > example the CIS systems only have one flavor of black ink so you are
    > compromised with the softer watercolor or art papers.
    >
    >>How is the image quality compared to a Epson 1280
    >
    > Much, much better since the profiles are more accurate and gray
    > balanced (I also have a 1280).
    >
    >> how is the image quality in general?
    >
    > Excellent.
    >
    >> Speed?
    >
    > Fast ... I have a pdf of a review John Paul Caponigro wrote on the 4000
    > for a magazine which talks about these issues, email me if you want a
    > copy.
    >
    >>Also, any other comments would be welcome.
    >
    > I would recommend that you NOT buy the 4000 however, since it is being
    > replaced by the new, improved 4800, which has the new K3 ink set for
    > improved black/white performance and better performance with glossy
    > papers (ie, no gloss differential). The 4800 (and 2400, 7800 and 9800)
    > were just announced about 3 weeks ago. Here's a review of the 9800,
    > same printer except 44" wide, by Joe Holmes ...
    > http://www.josephholmes.com/news.html
    >
    > Bill

Stylus Photo Epson Cameras