Upgrading from a HD 4830

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
There comes a time in every young man's life where he has to upgrade his GPU or face getting raped by lag in his favourite games < lmao. Hi guys, as the topic says I need to upgrade my VTX? HD 4830, its a nice card and served me well but im barely scraping 30 FPS in busy areas of League of Legends, Im quite turned off by the lag and i am willing to spend a maximum of $140 on a new GPU. I prefer AMD but I am willing to go the nVidia route if it is worth it.

In that price range i was looking at: HD 6770, 6790, 6850 or 550 Ti and I will be buying from Amazon.com because I am in the Caribbean.

Solution
512MBs of ram on the GPU just isn't enough with todays newest games to support high/highest detail settings. There is a reason why the cards come with a gig or more. Even just moving to a 1GB card should help a lot, more so if you only have 2GBs of ram as the computer will use system ram when it runs out of GPU ram.

In your case if the prices are too much for your budget, I'd get the cheaper of the 5770/6770 (same card) or the 550TI. Here in the states the 550TI is usually more expensive making the 5770 the better buy.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
What is the rest of your system? If a 4830, old as it may be, struggles to do 30fps in League of Legends, then either the rest of your system is weak or there is something wrong somewhere. My 4870 can max League of Legends.

Also, what is your resolution?

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Phenom II X4 @ 3.5 | 2 GB od DDR3 | 512 MB HD 4830 | Res: 1600x900 I play on High Setting cause anything under is just ugly and I am having problems with my FPS dropping to a crawl in team fights

You could definitly do with some more RAM.

What is the make/model of your PSU?

The 6790 is a good performer for the money but the power consumption is way to high,imo.The 6850 is the best option but if you cannot afford it my suggestion would be to go with a GTX550ti.

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I have a Silverstone Olympia 650W PSU, I was also thinking of upgrading my RAM but to be honest I never had any need for more however Id like a new HDD but prices are just way too high for me

4745454b

Titan
512MBs of ram on the GPU just isn't enough with todays newest games to support high/highest detail settings. There is a reason why the cards come with a gig or more. Even just moving to a 1GB card should help a lot, more so if you only have 2GBs of ram as the computer will use system ram when it runs out of GPU ram.

In your case if the prices are too much for your budget, I'd get the cheaper of the 5770/6770 (same card) or the 550TI. Here in the states the 550TI is usually more expensive making the 5770 the better buy.

Solution

somervillearron

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
hi i know i shouldnt be posting here but i am desperate for help

hi i have a 4870x2 i just bought from ebay i also bought a new motherboard for my phenom 2 so i got a bigger case with better airflow and also a new power supply which i think is my problem!

so when got the power supply i realised there was no 8 pin pci-e connecter so i bought a double molex to 8 pin pci-e i later realised when i got the connecter that all of my 4 molex are on the same power rail which i found very strange being a 750w power supply i just plugged everything in then i got into windows and everything seemed fine but as soon as i go into any game as soon as the 3d graphics load the computer instantly cuts out loses power

i am thinking that the problem lies with the power supply as it was very cheap i dont have much money and was wondering what the cheapest psu that would run my system good

my specs are below:

AMD phenom 2 X4 995 black edition (its the newest one lower wattage)
alpine 750w power supply
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5
ocz gold 1333 ddr3 (2x2gb)
corsair XMS3 platinum edition (2x2gb)
seagate 500gb sata drive
seagate 500gb pata drive
no cd rom or extras

nothing is overheating the cpu runs at 38-40c under load everything is running very cool as the system is full of fans and as i said great airflow

please help me find the correct psu and does it look like a problem is with the psu or something else?

thanks i look forward to everyones answers and opinions!

No their is no difference between them.The 6770 is esintially a 5770.It was just rebranded to go with the new series.

@somervillearron

Your problem is definitly the PSU.The fact that it's rated for 750 watts but only comes with 1 PCI-E connector and a 4pin CPU power connector should have raised alarms.

Status
Not open for further replies.