New Build Help

Hello, today I am on the forums for some advice on a new build I am doing. So here it goes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Approximate Purchase Date: A few days.

Budget Range: 700-775 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (In order from most to least important) Gaming, Editing/GFX, Web Browsing, Movies

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, OS, Monitor, Headset.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country: U.S.A

Parts Preferences: Intel Processor, and the case.

Overclocking: Do not know.

SLI or Crossfire: Do not know.

Monitor Resolution: Do not know.

Additional Comments: Would like it to be able to handle long hours of gaming.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTS

Video Card

CD/DVD Reader

Case

Power Supply

Processor

RAM

Motherboard

Hard Drive
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so basically what I am asking is if these items could live up to my needs. Also what are items you would add/change to make it perform better. This is my first build so any additional information is appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about build help
  1. That looks good except for the case - Raidmax cases for the most part are just flat-out junk, we buy them a lot where I work - we've had problems with stuck power buttons, doors falling off, LED lights not working, motherboards shorting out, poor ventilation, broken fans - you name it. They are just not good at all to say the least.

    Try this instead for the price:
    - Corsair Carbide 300R: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139011
    - Antec 300 Illusion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066
    - Cooler Master HAF 912: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

    I also think I'd swap your PSU for something like this ($10 difference after MIR) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

    Otherwise everything else looks good.
  2. here's what i'd recommend for you based on your choice of the i5-2400 (great choice for CPU if not overclocking) and your choice of case (just a few basic changes):

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156078
    - RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower: $80

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
    - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified: $70

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136240
    - LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner: $16

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767
    - Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM: $85

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131783
    - ASUS P8H67-V (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0: $105

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074
    - Intel Core i5-2400: $190

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226249
    - Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333: $37

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521
    - XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB: $190

    TOTAL: $773
  3. +1 agreed ^

    have a look at the cases that 'g-unit1111' suggested

    (i like the Antec Illusion out of those)
  4. Do you know any good ones with a see through window? I really like the look of those and am looking to buy one with it.
  5. wasupmike said:
    +1 agreed ^

    have a look at the cases that 'g-unit1111' suggested

    (i like the Antec Illusion out of those)


    I'll never recommend Raidmax cases on any build after the experiences I've had with them. The Antec Illusion is a good choice.

    Quote:
    Do you know any good ones with a see through window? I really like the look of those and am looking to buy one with it.


    It may look good but I've had nothing but problems with Raidmax - I'll never use their case because they're so cheaply made.

    Try this one - it's $10 more but it will last a lot longer than anything Raidmax makes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119240
  6. Alright, so this what I have.

    Video Card

    DVD/CD Drive

    CPU

    Case

    Motherboard

    RAM

    Hard Drive

    Power

    Alright, I will be orderingn this soon does everything seem good to you guys? Am I missing anything?
  7. Here's a recommendation based on your needs, with a better GPU & and overclockable(if need arises) CPU within the budget . If it feels slight overbudget , look into some suggestion:

    Case : $33- Apex Trooper

    GPU: $220- Gigabyter GTX 560Ti(better than Radeon 6870)

    Motherboard: $130- Asrock Z68 Gen3(Great motherboard for this price)

    HDD & PSU: $145- Hitachi 500GB & Corsair CX600(PSU $10 off with promo)

    CPU & RAM : $259- i5 2500K & GSkill Ripjaw 8GB(2X 4GB)

    Total (Excluding Rebates, Promo): 787 USD

    Rebates & Promo: $30

    If this goes overbudget consider this Motherboard, Save $25.
    $105-Asrock Pro3 GEN3
  8. Gilakend said:
    Alright, so this what I have.

    Video Card

    DVD/CD Drive

    CPU

    Case

    Motherboard

    RAM

    Hard Drive

    Power

    Alright, I will be orderingn this soon does everything seem good to you guys? Am I missing anything?



    nope, looks good to me
  9. z_4 said:
    Here's a recommendation based on your needs, with a better GPU & and overclockable(if need arises) CPU within the budget . If it feels slight overbudget , look into some suggestion:

    Case : $33- Apex Trooper

    GPU: $220- Gigabyter GTX 560Ti(better than Radeon 6870)

    Motherboard: $130- Asrock Z68 Gen3(Great motherboard for this price)

    HDD & PSU: $145- Hitachi 500GB & Corsair CX600(PSU $10 off with promo)

    CPU & RAM : $259- i5 2500K & GSkill Ripjaw 8GB(2X 4GB)

    Total (Excluding Rebates, Promo): 787 USD

    Rebates & Promo: $30

    If this goes overbudget consider this Motherboard, Save $25.
    $105-Asrock Pro3 GEN3


    I would not skimp on the case - Apex is a brand that's lumped in the same tier 4 with Raidmax, Apevia, Xion, Xclio, etc. And I certainly wouldn't recommend Hitachi HDs either. But otherwise I'll agree with most of those choices.
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems Product