Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What i need for eyefinity

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2012 12:15:00 PM

I'm thinking about getting an eyefinity setup for my new rig, but i am completely clueless about eyefinity and as such have a few questions.

first of all, will three of these work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
it has one display port, i dont know if i need more than that.

second, how well will i be able to run games in full res with all three monitors with this build

AMD phenom ii x4 955 be overclocked to 4.2 GHz
AMD radeon 6870 in crossfire
16gb 1333mhz memory
1tb hdd 7200rpm
MSI 870S-G54 motherboard
80 gb ssd

And lastly any other pieces of advice you can offer would be appreciated

More about : eyefinity

January 4, 2012 12:27:57 PM

Look up your video card if it support Eyefinity because Only AMD/ATI video card support Eyefinity and only fast video card like yours support eyefinity... BTW Eyefinity is based on the support of the video card because drivers will do everything else
Also upgrade your memory to 1600MHz, dont have to but can for better performance since RAM is so inexpensive these days...
Score
January 4, 2012 12:39:57 PM

You can do it no prob, only thing its in "eye" of beholder, it's nice to test with 3 monitors but it does look so so ugly with big breaks (bazels).
The only game that looked any good was Flight simulator X , where i could use other 2 monitors on side as window views. Rest of games look horrible, but it could be just me
I would use my 32 inch monitor anytime over 3 22's or what not.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

January 4, 2012 3:39:55 PM

dob1026 said:
I'm thinking about getting an eyefinity setup for my new rig, but i am completely clueless about eyefinity and as such have a few questions.
And lastly any other pieces of advice you can offer would be appreciated

First off, no need to "look up your video card" - Obviously an AMD Radeon 6870 is an Eyefinity capable card... Further, there's no need to upgrade your system memory for a working Eyefinity setup: 16 GB of 1333mhz is more than enough...

I currently run an Eyefinity setup on an OC'd 955 BE with a single 6870 and only 4GB of DDR2 with 3 22" monitors at 1680 X 1050 native...

You will be able to get a working setup with the monitor you linked. One DisplayPort per monitor is all you need--and you'll have the ability to daisy-chain multiple DisplayPort monitors via a single connector, making the setup a cinch (I have 3 non-displayPort monitors and had to use 2 different cables and an additional adapter)...

Since I don't have crossfire, I can't speak directly to the specifics of your performance (or any issues related to crossfire drivers) but of top-tier games from the past year or so, I've managed to run Skyrim, Serious Sam 3 BFE, Dirt 2, FEAR 3, Dragon Age 2, Just Cause 2, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and Arkham Asylum, at a bezel-compensated resolution of 5284 x 1650 in High to Max Details with solid frame rates and no issues (Gotta stress, AA can be a performance-killer with some of these titles-- DA2 had a particularly serious issue with AA, in my experience-- so sometimes I go without, or low [2x in Skyrim]... Speaking of Skyrim, had to get a code injector to properly fix HUD/menus for Skyrim Eyefinity at widescreengamingforum.com), the only game that has given me any real performance issues with full native Eyefinity resolution and a single 6870 is Metro 2033: I had to drop the game from DX11 to DX10 and reduce the resolution waaay down to 2xxx X 600...

I own Deadspace 1 and 2 but beat them before I got the 3rd monitor, so I haven't played them with eyefinity, but I imagine they'd both work just fine... Also, I haven't tried Arkham City or RAGE on 3-screens yet, but I hear RAGE has excellent native multi-monitor support... I could letcha know how those turn out if you're still interested...
January 4, 2012 9:08:10 PM

thank you all for the input, particularly reichsythe. you answered all of my questions and then some. if you can get that much performance out of one 6870, im confident that my rig will be able to handle anything in eyefinity. is there anything i should know about setting up eyefinity from a software perspective? or is it like crossfire, where you just plug everything in and just wait for the drivers to install?
Score
January 5, 2012 10:53:01 AM

and what does daisy chaining mean?
Score
January 5, 2012 2:38:27 PM

dob1026 said:
is there anything i should know about setting up eyefinity from a software perspective? or is it like crossfire, where you just plug everything in and just wait for the drivers to install? ... and what does daisy chaining mean?

When you get it all set up, the Catalyst software does most of the work-- If you've connected everything properly, the Catalyst software should detect your monitors... you'll assign the monitors to an "Eyefinity Group" which will create a custom desktop that spans all three monitors (this process also lets you determine the order of the monitors)... Once you've finished that, you can run the Bezel Compensation utility (also part of the Catalyst software) that will let you custom-adjust your Eyefinity Desktop resolution to allow for the width of your monitors' borders...

Daisy-chaining means, with DisplayPort, you can connect monitor A -> monitor B -> monitor C, then plug monitor C into the card's DisplayPort, and the card will recognize A, B and C
Score
January 6, 2012 11:23:59 AM

Best answer selected by Dob1026.
Score
January 6, 2012 11:24:28 AM

ok. thanks for the help
Score
!