Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Worried with 6950 2Gb playing StarCraft 2

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • FPS
  • Starcraft 2
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 4, 2012 1:00:38 PM

Hi,


I have a new PC:

i5 2500K (not OC).
6950 2Gb (ASUS Direct CU: 775 // 1250 Mhz >>> I think that my store "underclocked" the 6950 through drivers to diminish the noise).
16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz (Kingston).
120Gb SSD Corsair Force GT.

I play StarCraft 2 at 1680*1050 (nevertheless, my monitor allows 1920*1080) and "all to max" in-game graphic features. In a recent 2vs2 game with "huge" armies I noticed a FPS "lower peak".

Later, I benchmarked the replay (40 critical seconds) several times, obtaining:

Min FPS: 20 (T_T)
Max FPS: 80
Average: 35

Do you consider it as normal? Should I downgrade in-game graphic features? I pushed my 6950 to 810 // 1250 Mhz, but I win nothing...

Thank you very much,


---
DoctorNenito

More about : worried 6950 2gb playing starcraft

January 4, 2012 1:03:47 PM

Why would you game at 1680x1050 if your monitor is 1920x1080??
January 4, 2012 1:09:12 PM

It's probably the CPU more than the video card. Video card and RAM should be fine.

If you can, overclock the CPU and see what results you get. You will probably have to run though the exact same game 3-4-5 times to get a real result though, not just once. Reboot between runs.
Related resources
January 4, 2012 1:26:24 PM

Its because one of the other players was causing lag not your PC. I got that when I played with one of my friends who used a laptop when he forgot to turn settings down (or power saving off) on his laptop when not plugged in, it would cause lag for everyone in the game.
January 4, 2012 1:32:07 PM

geekapproved said:
Why would you game at 1680x1050 if your monitor is 1920x1080??


Well, I was afraid of "Min FPS" issues...
January 4, 2012 1:33:42 PM

It depends on game, and then whats going on inside game, specially starcraft 2, huge army = low fps
simply buying 6950 does not guaranty you top FPS,
you should be playing native resolution 1080, as well
January 4, 2012 1:41:04 PM

hang-the-9 said:
It's probably the CPU more than the video card. Video card and RAM should be fine.

If you can, overclock the CPU and see what results you get. You will probably have to run though the exact same game 3-4-5 times to get a real result though, not just once. Reboot between runs.


Thank you very much!

OK: I will reboot between runs.

About OCing the i5, I'll have to learn how to do it through my ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z. I am going to work on it.

Bye!


---
DoctorNenito
January 4, 2012 1:45:46 PM

You DONT need to OC your i5 to run SCII on max with massive armies.

A 2500k Stock can handle it.
January 4, 2012 1:46:15 PM

simon12 said:
Its because one of the other players was causing lag not your PC. I got that when I played with one of my friends who used a laptop when he forgot to turn settings down (or power saving off) on his laptop when not plugged in, it would cause lag for everyone in the game.


MMM...I am not sure...

I thought that the "lower PC" would lose some "game actions" (mouse clicks), not my one...

THX anyway.


---
DoctorNenito
January 4, 2012 1:54:31 PM

DoctorNenito said:
MMM...I am not sure...

I thought that the "lower PC" would lose some "game actions" (mouse clicks), not my one...

THX anyway.


---
DoctorNenito

Its true it happened to me. I could max this game with a Phenom x4 @ 3.7GHz and crossfire 4870s so your system should never be affected by anything that not to do with another player or your internet connection (or the server).
January 4, 2012 2:40:14 PM

simon12 said:
Its because one of the other players was causing lag not your PC. I got that when I played with one of my friends who used a laptop when he forgot to turn settings down (or power saving off) on his laptop when not plugged in, it would cause lag for everyone in the game.


That would do it, missed the multiplayer part of this.
January 4, 2012 5:13:40 PM

simon12 said:
Its true it happened to me. I could max this game with a Phenom x4 @ 3.7GHz and crossfire 4870s so your system should never be affected by anything that not to do with another player or your internet connection (or the server).


But...is there a link between internet connection and FPS?

In other words: when I reproduce a replay "alone", benchmarking it, are the results affected by internet / other player conditions during the (original) game?

THX,


---
DoctorNenito
January 4, 2012 5:21:40 PM

Test single player. If it runs fine then the problem is internet lag in MP, not your hardware. Often when an opponent lags a lot, it will pause your game because it's waiting to get updates on what he is doing (clicks/movement/etc)
January 4, 2012 5:44:59 PM

deadjon said:
You DONT need to OC your i5 to run SCII on max with massive armies.

A 2500k Stock can handle it.


Well, deadjon, this was my believing when I bought my new PC. I read TOM's reviews (Bests "x" for the money) during a couple of months and, on one hand, I was sure that 6950 was not "a need" for SC2 (indeed: it was a Christmas caprice). On the other, I chose the 2500K to achieve a good gaming / chess engines performance.

Now I must understand if, IMHO, I have:

A.- PC "problem".

B.- Other players / internet connection issue.

C.- A normal situation.

Thank you,


---
DoctorNenito
January 4, 2012 6:08:07 PM

Easy to sort this out. Run it in single player mode and see what you get.
January 4, 2012 6:21:29 PM

I get over 100 fps on multilayer with minimals of maybe 50 fps in 2v2 with much less powerful hardware.

even with 4 max armies I don't drop below 30. I have an OC phenom x4 at 3.6 and a 6850 so you should have no problem.

also internet connection isn't going to stop your gpu from rendering frames, your gpu will render the same frames if no action has happened. Even durring laggy games I get basically the same fps.
January 9, 2012 1:53:19 PM

esrever said:
I get over 100 fps on multilayer with minimals of maybe 50 fps in 2v2 with much less powerful hardware.

even with 4 max armies I don't drop below 30. I have an OC phenom x4 at 3.6 and a 6850 so you should have no problem.

also internet connection isn't going to stop your gpu from rendering frames, your gpu will render the same frames if no action has happened. Even durring laggy games I get basically the same fps.


Hi esrever,


At first sight I think, as you, that laggy games shouldn't affect my FPS. Once the game is "recorded" and benchmarked, if my system shows "20" as a MinFPS it, IMHO, has nothing to do with game's original conditions, hasn't it? It's like reproducing a a movie, isn't it?

In other words: the same recorded game (Replay) will obtain different Max-Min-Avge FPS in different machines...

Would you be so kind of recommending me a particular Catalyst "setup"?

THX,


---
DoctorNenito
January 9, 2012 3:38:52 PM

Just reduce the anti aliasing. It's a killer on AMD cards.
January 9, 2012 5:24:28 PM

for catalyst I think I have all settings on default. I don't remember, I did go through the settings but I don't remember changing much. I do have overdrive on with a slight OC on my card but it doesn't really make much difference.
!