Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fx8150 or core i5-2500k for programs, 3D & Database

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 22, 2012 4:36:17 PM

hello,
I build a computer, my use for Programs specially 3D, also Database, so i'm thinking in fx8150 cuz i need a cpu able to treat with these programs & it's future's updates Efficiently that will need more than 4 cores as i think , so that's made me think in fx8150
Now, i wanna to know is that thinking right or i had missing any thing, also is core I5-2500k better in my case according to my uses?
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2012 7:31:31 PM

no, the 8 cores sounds nice, but the quad core 2500K will outperform the 8150 in pretty much anything, and if you base it on the z77 platform (i would reccomend that on above the rest) you can upgrade to ivy bridge down the line
m
0
l
a c 138 à CPUs
June 22, 2012 7:40:52 PM

If someone wants to upgrade from pre-LGA1155 to IB, it makes little sense to go through SB as a stepping stone when the consensus about SB to IB upgrade is "don't bother".
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2012 7:43:42 PM

yeah, hopefully intel will make it so ivy/SB users won't have to buy a new MOBO again for their next release
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2012 7:46:25 PM

Nsync said:
hello,
I build a computer, my use for Programs specially 3D, also Database, so i'm thinking in fx8150 cuz i need a cpu able to treat with these programs & it's future's updates Efficiently that will need more than 4 cores as i think , so that's made me think in fx8150
Now, i wanna to know is that thinking right or i had missing any thing, also is core I5-2500k better in my case according to my uses?

For multithreaded applications the FX with the more cores sounds a better option specially when overclocked, everything else would make it to the 2500K. Vetter option than the two is the sweet i7 2600K, 4 cores & 8 threads.
m
0
l
a c 138 à CPUs
June 22, 2012 7:51:27 PM

nna2 said:
yeah, hopefully intel will make it so ivy/SB users won't have to buy a new MOBO again for their next release

All currently available information on Haswell points to new LGA 1150 socket so LGA1155 ends with IB.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2012 7:53:46 PM

you could always overclock the 2500k to keep the edge on the FX chip
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
June 22, 2012 10:37:48 PM

nna2 said:
no, the 8 cores sounds nice, but the quad core 2500K will outperform the 8150 in pretty much anything, and if you base it on the z77 platform (i would reccomend that on above the rest) you can upgrade to ivy bridge down the line



That would be just plain silly to upgrade to ivy if you bought a 2500K. Ivy has almost NO improvement over Sandy, costs more, and next year Intel will be moving to another socket. LGA1155 is effectively dead. If you want Ivy, (but theres no real reason to take it over Sandy), you get it now.

Quote:


yeah, hopefully intel will make it so ivy/SB users won't have to buy a new MOBO again for their next release


That deal is set in stone already. Intel likes money.

Quote:
Vetter option than the two is the sweet i7 2600K, 4 cores & 8 threads.

Problem is then you're talking about a $140 price difference....



As far as the 8150, if you want to go that route, get the 8120 and clock it up. They are identical CPUs, just the 8120 is clocked lower, since both are fully overclockable and since neither really has a real difference in their overclocking ceiling, theres no reason to pay more for the 8150.
m
0
l
!