Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Monitor supports 1280x1024 but settings stuck at max 1024x768

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 4, 2012 4:42:49 PM

Hello guys,

I am using Win 7 x64 bit system with Nvidia GTX 470 card and updated video card drivers.

I've been using for a while a Hyundai B90D monitor that I am very happy with (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). The monitor's max resolution is 1280 x 1024 and until recently worked just fine at this res.

After I connected few times the 2nd DVI of the video card to a wide screen TV, my display settings somehow decreased to 1024 x 768 (maybe because I played with the duplicate screen, show desktop on screen 1 and other options for the 2 screens). Now, I don't have the option to select higher 4/3 resolution than 1024x768, but I can select higher 16/9 resolution like 1280x720 or 1920x1080, which of course is not workable for me. I tried to manually input the 1280x1024 mode, but the the settings didn't allow me to do it.

Windows uses the Generic Non-PnP Monitor driver for the monitor dated June 2006, and when I try to automatically update it it suggests me an Acer S271HL driver. With both drivers I am still suck at this max 4/3 res at 1024x768.

When right click on desktop -> screen resolution -> advanced settings -> list all modes, I actually don't see higher 4/3 res than the 1024x768.

Any suggestions to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot, your help very is appreciated.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 4, 2012 4:58:43 PM

Try updating your video drivers to see if all of your monitor settings/options are restored.
January 4, 2012 5:02:14 PM

I already reinstalled the video card driver. Its up to date, and there is no change : /. I still have the issue.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 4, 2012 5:12:49 PM

drotor said:
I already reinstalled the video card driver. Its up to date, and there is no change : /. I still have the issue.

Before or after the problem occured?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 4, 2012 5:13:02 PM

ya, screen resolutions are the only annoying thing about Win7. 99% of the time it works fine, and then every once in a while it does something stupid like this.
When updating the driver did you completely uninstall the old driver, and then install the new driver?
When in the screen resolution page are you set to "Duplicate" "extend" or "only" and if "only" then is it picking up the correct monitor? It should be set to "extend" or "only".
Have you tried (while the computer is on) unplugging the video cable and plugging it into the other GPU output?
Have you made sure that your refresh rate is set correctly? I know it is rare, but sometimes you can hit a refresh rate that forces the monitor to lower resolutions. You should be at 59-60Hz, and if not then change it to that.

If windows is super confused then you will have to do a registry hack to get it to allow you to choose other 'non native' (which in this case for you is native) resolutions, but as you can really mess things up in the registry I am not comfortable giving directions on how to do it (though I have done it a few times with success). Just poke around for a tutorial online and you will find directions that will get you through.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 4, 2012 5:13:41 PM

oh, have you tried setting resolution through the GPU driver instead of through Windows?
January 4, 2012 6:11:27 PM

COLGeek said:
Before or after the problem occured?

after the problem
a b Î Nvidia
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 4, 2012 7:02:25 PM

Shutdown your rig. Disconnet all but the monitor in question. Reboot the system and see if, with only one monitor connected, the 1280x1024 resolution is available. If so, set that way, shutdown and connect the second monitor.
January 4, 2012 7:14:25 PM

Quote:
When updating the driver did you completely uninstall the old driver, and then install the new driver?

Yes
Quote:

When in the screen resolution page are you set to "Duplicate" "extend" or "only" and if "only" then is it picking up the correct monitor? It should be set to "extend" or "only".

I did correctly that one too, when 2nd monitor is off i set "Only monitor 1". Tried with "extend" too, but nothing.
Quote:
Have you tried (while the computer is on) unplugging the video cable and plugging it into the other GPU output?

If u r speaking about the DVI cable, ye, I did it before the problem occured several times. Disconnecting and connecting the DVI cables and maybe even switching from one DVI of the video card to the other.
Quote:

Have you made sure that your refresh rate is set correctly? I know it is rare, but sometimes you can hit a refresh rate that forces the monitor to lower resolutions. You should be at 59-60Hz, and if not then change it to that.

It is set to 60, i dont have the 59 option.
Quote:
If windows is super confused then you will have to do a registry hack to get it to allow you to choose other 'non native' (which in this case for you is native) resolutions, but as you can really mess things up in the registry I am not comfortable giving directions on how to do it (though I have done it a few times with success). Just poke around for a tutorial online and you will find directions that will get you through.

True, at present the 1024x768 res is native. I will try what COLGeek advised and will see about that registry thingy, cause I am pretty sure I can mess up things on that one.
January 4, 2012 7:15:13 PM

CaedenV said:
oh, have you tried setting resolution through the GPU driver instead of through Windows?


How I do this? Can you give me few hints? thx
January 4, 2012 7:17:23 PM

COLGeek said:
Shutdown your rig. Disconnet all but the monitor in question. Reboot the system and see if, with only one monitor connected, the 1280x1024 resolution is available. If so, set that way, shutdown and connect the second monitor.


I tried already this one, but nothing : /.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 4, 2012 9:35:04 PM

http://uk.geforce.com/drivers
Select your graphics card model, windows version and hit download!

Install it, restart your computer and it should work like a charm.
January 5, 2012 5:47:03 AM

Sunius said:
http://uk.geforce.com/drivers
Select your graphics card model, windows version and hit download!

Install it, restart your computer and it should work like a charm.


Thanks, but I did that already. Didn't help.
January 5, 2012 6:13:34 AM

Try to install your monitor drivers for your monitor.
January 5, 2012 7:35:04 AM

wolfram23 said:
Maybe try:
http://www.hyundaimonitor.com/drivers_download.htm

With the L90D/L90D+ driver?


Didnt work. The driver cant work on 64 bit systems. I also installed the b91d driver (2006 last update), but after restart I see the old driver again.
January 5, 2012 7:39:33 AM

I also tried to uninstall the video driver, and to install it again, but there is one option to install to default settings without keeping the current settings in the setup wizard. Didn't help : (.

The last thing I did is, since I have 2 monitors, to connect the 2nd monitor to the 2nd DVI slot, and the monitor directly loaded the 1280x1024 resolution. But the problem persisted on the Hyundai monitor. Then I tried to switch the DVI slots, so primary it became the samsung and secondary the hyundai. But again, samsung managed to run on the 1280x1024 and the hyundai still got stuck on the 1024x768.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 5, 2012 8:11:50 AM

That's major driver *** up I could say.. You should reinstall windows, at least that's what I'd do.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 5, 2012 1:43:21 PM

Yeah might be worth a Windows "repair" install.

Also when you reinstalled the GPU driver, did you totally uninstall it first? It's also good to run Driver Sweeper after uninstalling to completely get rid of everything so it's like starting over in that regard.
!