Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Anyway to improve my 2 year old laptop system?

Last response: in Systems
March 7, 2012 11:10:53 PM

Hello,
I bought an LG xnote for gaming in korea maybe 2 years ago.

I get this using CPU-Z right now.

CPU-intel core i3 350M @2.27GHz
-Core speed arounnd 1197MHz
-Multiplier x 7.0 to 9.0
-Bus around 133 MHz
-QPI link around 2394 MHz
Memory-DDR3 2048MBytes
-Graphics card- NVIDIA GeForce 310M
-Clocks-Core-135MHz
-Shaders-270MHz
-Memory-135MHz
-Memory-512MBytes

So I'm really inexperienced with my laptop system and I would like to make it run smooth generally, not specifically for games because I want to save battery life for portable browsing and make sure my laptop doesn't overheat like crap.

Other details that you might need to help me.
-Windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1
-Installed memory RAM : 2GB
-System type : 32 bit

Best solution

a b } Memory
March 8, 2012 1:22:50 AM

Not many options for upgrading laptops.
Ram, If operating system is 32 Bit, recommend swaping the 2 1 gig sticks for 2 x 2.
Select ram with the sam speed, and voltag. Cl reatings can be lower, but will not really increase the performance. Going from 2 -> 4 gigs will provides a boost normally.

Not sure on ram speed/voltage/timings - Download CPUID CPU-z. At the top there are two memory tabs, one showing what the ram is running at, and one tab that shows what is tored in the ram as to it's capabilities.

The next upgrad would be a little on the expensive side, a 128 Gis SSD (about $160 _> $210 depending on sales). HDD performance is the biggest bottleneck on a system. An SSD is 20 to 40 times faster than a Mechanical HDD. Pick the right one and it will save a few watts (Increase battery on time). Also may run cooler which helps a little in keeping inside temps down NOT a biggy, but evey little bit adds up.

If your Operqting system is 32 bit, might want to consider moveing to 64 Bit - About $100.
.. If you go with 4 gigs of ram as I suggested, with 32 Bit you will lose about a half gig as compared to runing 4 gigs on a 64 Bit. THIS IS NOT a biggy, so if only going to 4 gigs save the 100 dollars and put it toward the SSD. However if you can go 2 x 4 for 8 gigs you would have to move to the 64 Bit Win 7
March 8, 2012 1:49:26 AM

Ok I think I can get the SSD and to tell the truth, I'm living in Indonesia right now and I think I can get the 64 bit win 7 for free here a crack one. But even though I get a crack version, is it reliable? is it illegal and should i just buy retail?

And if I do get 64 bit windows 7 I should go for 2x8 gigs, should i go for crucial or kingston?

Thanks for the reply
Related resources
March 8, 2012 1:59:55 AM

Joshc85 said:
Ok I think I can get the SSD and to tell the truth, I'm living in Indonesia right now and I think I can get the 64 bit win 7 for free here a crack one. But even though I get a crack version, is it reliable? is it illegal and should i just buy retail?

And if I do get 64 bit windows 7 I should go for 2x8 gigs, should i go for crucial or kingston?

Thanks for the reply

Yes it's illegal. No you should not neccesarily buy a copy. Maxing ram is a must when using an older laptop. It is often done super cheaply. Ssd is an awesome way to improve performance, but it won't get you frame rates or make your processor run faster. Just faster access times and file transfers. That said, I bought my first ssd in November and couldn't imagine a computer without one anymore.
March 8, 2012 2:11:26 AM

I'm definitely gonna get an SSD but how can I max my ram out super cheaply?
March 8, 2012 6:22:15 AM

Best answer selected by Joshc85.
!