Sign in with
Your question

No Signal from Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2012 5:44:06 PM

I have been using my new ASUS 6950 for a week, and now I took it and my mobo out to install a cpu cooler. I have the ASUS p8z68-v board with onboard graphics.

I put everything back in my case, but now I can only get a signal from the onboard graphics when the card isn't in, and when it is in the onboard disables itself, and I dont get a signal from the card.
The power is plugged in, the fans on the card and everything else are acting normal, but the monitor wakes up on startup, only to display a black screen and fall back asleep.

I was playing battlefield 3 on ultra a few hours ago, now I cant get a signal from my card!
HELP!

Thanks!

More about : signal graphics card

a c 179 U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 2:50:11 AM

I have a question and it is going to sound stupid on my part. Did dis connect the monitor cable from the intergrated graphics and connected it to the HD 6950? I sure you have but just to be on the safe side. Please don't hate me for asking that.
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 5, 2012 3:07:29 AM

Max1s said:
... , but now I can only get a signal from the onboard graphics when the card isn't in, and when it is in the onboard disables itself,

That is normal behavior. A modern motherboard with on board graphics will automatically disable the on board graphics when it detects the presence of a separate video card.

Max1s said:
, and I dont get a signal from the card.

Which card? The on board or the separate card?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 3:15:42 AM

I'll repeat DM's question, as this is one that gets by people. What's the monitor plugged into? It has to get its signal directly from the card.
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 3:48:01 AM

The monitor is plugged into the graphics card, just like normal.
Yeah thats the part that confused me, since the mobo is disabling the onboard, it must know the card is in there, so is it the card that has a problem?
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 4:06:26 AM

Now when I take out the card and plug in the onboard, the monitor dosnt even wake up from sleep....
Now I cant even access file on my HD. :-(
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 4:20:35 AM

Ok actually after a bios reset via jumper it shows onboard video without the card.
January 5, 2012 4:37:50 AM

that's weird, since you said the monitor is connected to the graphics card then it should pose no problem. hmm try removing your new fan or something, and do it like before.
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 12:38:34 PM

Well is does post and boot, just I cant see anything. I also tried another pcie port, and setting up the fans same as before, but same problem.

Also I dont know if this matters but before I put the cooler in I had the graphics card running on a DVI to HDMI cable to a TV, but now its DVI DVI to a monitor.

The wierd thing is, the monitor dosnt fall asleep, it sits awake, goes from Analog to Digital, then sits and does Analog to Digital again, but I tried a different monitor...
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 6:09:24 PM

Ok well I got it to start with the onboard as the primary with the big card still in, so I can use my OS with the card in. The radeon is detected by all the programs and is acting normal, although still no signal. I am gonna borrow a friend's old card tomorrow, and Ill bring my card to a shop I worked at and Ill see how it goes.
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 10:12:55 PM

Ok, sounds decent. If you switch back to the card does the problem immediately return?
Try a different PCI slot.
a c 179 U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 10:53:26 PM

Max1s said:
Ok well I got it to start with the onboard as the primary with the big card still in, so I can use my OS with the card in. The radeon is detected by all the programs and is acting normal, although still no signal. I am gonna borrow a friend's old card tomorrow, and Ill bring my card to a shop I worked at and Ill see how it goes.

While you are doing that see if your new card works in another rig to help narrow the problem down. What I don't get is why the monitor keeps going to sleep and switching from digital to analog. I hope you can figure it out.
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 12:52:36 PM

I just tryed my friends working card, same problem. Ill go take my card down to the store to have them test it. But Im starting to think its the motherboard. Maybe I should take it down too...
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 2:23:35 PM

So i tested my card at a neighboring shop, and it didnt work. Then I went to the place where I bought it to trade it in, and it worked for them.
And my friends card works on his machine and not mine.
So I have no idea whats going on.... I'll get a PSU and graphics card from another friend and try that, and either RMA the mobo if nothing works, or get a new PSU if it works with my friends.
a c 179 U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 6:54:36 PM

It does sound like a MOBO problem unless the card has a short in it. Because you said that it didn't play in your friends rig but played at the shop. You would think it would be one or the other or both. I will keep looking at other sites and see if another problem like this one.
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 8:06:08 AM

No I said that my friends card DID work on his machine, but not mine. Thats the only constant in this equation: my mobo cant use any video cards. (so far)

Thanks for your help!
January 8, 2012 11:07:08 AM

Max1s said:
I have been using my new ASUS 6950 for a week, and now I took it and my mobo out to install a cpu cooler. I have the ASUS p8z68-v board with onboard graphics.

I put everything back in my case, but now I can only get a signal from the onboard graphics when the card isn't in, and when it is in the onboard disables itself, and I dont get a signal from the card.
The power is plugged in, the fans on the card and everything else are acting normal, but the monitor wakes up on startup, only to display a black screen and fall back asleep.

I was playing battlefield 3 on ultra a few hours ago, now I cant get a signal from my card!
HELP!

Thanks!

Hey max,
Funny you say that I literally just had teh same issue haha was about to play bf3 and bang black screen no sognal. after the last hour putting my GPU into my other computer and it still didnt work. I put a different card in my main computer and it worked witch led me to think my GPU shat itself, After alot of messing around finding no help on fourms I removed the BIOS battery from the M/B waited about 10 mins put it back in and it cranked up fine. Dont know what it was lucky though was about to peg it down the back yard lol.
hope i could help you, good luck.
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 11:38:02 AM

Yeah, I threw in 3 different cards with 2 different PSUs and its always the same problem. I'm gonna RMA the mobo on monday...
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 8:32:44 AM

Ok so I RMAed the mobo, they took a week and sent me a new one with no screws....

Anyway, I have the same exact problem with the new mobo. No video from the card. I dont want to get other cards or PSUs to test with, because I have the feeling it will be the same story, exactly like before.

Should I just go to the store and trade my AMD for Nvidia? Because I have a feeling the guy at the store will get signal from the card, just like before.
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 8:38:27 AM

I doubt thats the problem.

did you make sure the card is plugged in tight? also try installing drivers just to see what happens.
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 8:51:42 AM

Yeah, its all plugged in good. I just did a bios update (which I tryed before but was too stupid to do.) I'll reinstall (they are already installed) the AMD drivers and pop the card in.

EDIT: Im installing the 32-bit version, just to mix it up a bit.
EDIT: It wouldnt let me do the 32 bit install, so I tried with no drivers, no luck.
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 10:15:12 AM

Ok, I finally found out why there isn't any video:
The card puts out VGA signal from the output labeled "VGA" but with DVI from either that or the other there is no video.

http://www.mindfactory.de/popup_product_gallery.php/ima...

I dont know how I would get the DVI working, but this is already good news.
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 10:35:20 AM

Thank you all for your help, I'm going to open a new, more specific thread now that I know exactly what the problem is.
March 21, 2013 12:29:37 PM

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU!

Everything seeming to be powered, fans spinning on GPU, and it boots when it uses integrated graphics! BUT the MONITOR IS NOT "WAKING UP" when I use the Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 in my mobo. I really need some help right now because I have no clue what is going on. I already tried a different card of the same version and it still won't work!
June 4, 2013 11:15:11 AM

Max1s said:
Now when I take out the card and plug in the onboard, the monitor dosnt even wake up from sleep....
Now I cant even access file on my HD. :-(

Hi there, You said you were playing BF3 when your screen went black and now you're having problems to boot your computer because your screen keeps going black right?
Can you say if this black screen only happened when you were playing the game?
My hubby and I both have been having serious lagging issues with BF3 since we downloaded one of their patches.

Then, my hubby's computer started doing the no signal thing when we played. He used to be able to re-start his computer until he wasn't able to anymore.

Now he boots his computer and within a minute the screen goes dark with no signal

Its at the shop today getting fixed. (hopefully)

meanhwile I had stopped playing the game.
yesturday I decided to try playing and bam! while I was playing, my screen went dark and gave me the no signal!!!!!

I waited a few minutes and got it to start again and stay on.

But now, I know for sure its the game that is causing this (my freind is starting to get the same propblem also)
I will not play this game anymore until I know this problem has been fixed

July 22, 2013 2:01:51 PM

I have same problem i think! With my hd 6850. I couldnt get it to work but when i took it to the shop it worked fine, so feeling silly i bought it home and assumed it was the dvi cable that was the problem so i orded a dvi to hdmi adapter and just got it today and it would display picture AGAIN. So while my pc was on with no picture i plugged in my vga cable to the onboard graphics and there was picture! Wtf is going on. Hopefully going to take it into shop again and bring all the cables im using and isolate what is happening. Ps in device manager onboard is disabled and in bios setup it is default set to pcie.
!