Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Buddy wants opinions on budget build

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2012 12:02:24 AM

ok my buddy wants to build a budget pc for under 500 or as low as he can go.(he stresses as low as possible)
He already has hdd and dvd needs everything else
oh and he has monitor ,a 26in tv he uses with xbox and current pc
he does game but he doesnt care about maxing out settings just as long as he can run the games and it plays smooth
Hes big on roleplaying games and pretty much is waiting for diablo 3

So what you guys think is his best options

Best solution

March 8, 2012 12:10:32 AM

I just did a build here for someone with similar needs.

You could drop the 560ti down a notch and spend more on a case/mobo/wtvr if those are more important to him than gaming at max. The quality of the parts i listed there are a bit low, but they're the best performance per dollar.
March 8, 2012 12:23:43 AM

yea i was just looking at the post ,i tweaked the case and used the asrock mobo,and dropped to a 6870 im at 498 which is pretty good.
I wonder if i should go with the 6850 for me i would but like i said he just wants to play smooth. thanks for the help
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2012 12:25:09 AM

i meant for me i wouldnt,im all for ultra with high fram rates
m
l
March 8, 2012 1:48:35 AM

i have an older machine (for the family) with a 5670 that plays games perfectly fine at 1680x1050. Settings are usually set to medium or low. A 6850 is considerably better.

What res is he playing at?
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:39:37 AM

honestly he prob doesnt even know he's the type of guy that starts the game and thats it,but i kinda want to give him a little while before he upgrades again thats why i think the 6870 would be better But if you think the 6850 would be fine im all for it, he's all for as cheap as possible.I really dont know besides benchmarks i always go for higher end stuff im runnin a 6990 right now before that i had a 5870 so the lower end stuff i just cant give advice because i always try to get the most out of my build
m
l
March 8, 2012 3:40:55 AM

slicedtoad said:
I just did a build here for someone with similar needs.

You could drop the 560ti down a notch and spend more on a case/mobo/wtvr if those are more important to him than gaming at max. The quality of the parts i listed there are a bit low, but they're the best performance per dollar.

It would have run better if you had included a hard drive
m
l
March 8, 2012 4:38:35 AM

Outlander_04 said:
It would have run better if you had included a hard drive

if you read the post my buddy had a hdd and even on the other post slicedtoad helped with they had an hdd , i was asking for the best budget build and i think slicedtoad gave great recomendations do you have anything to add other then incorrect critique
m
l
March 8, 2012 5:17:57 AM

momazboy said:
if you read the post my buddy had a hdd and even on the other post slicedtoad helped with they had an hdd , i was asking for the best budget build and i think slicedtoad gave great recomendations do you have anything to add other then incorrect critique

It exceeds your budget by a substantial margin .
Are you spending that much ? Or are you definitely stuck at $500 maximum as you indicated earlier ?
m
l
March 8, 2012 6:09:54 AM

^it doesn't exceed the budget if you downgrade to a 6870 and don't need a dvd burner.

momazboy said:
honestly he prob doesnt even know he's the type of guy that starts the game and thats it,but i kinda want to give him a little while before he upgrades again thats why i think the 6870 would be better But if you think the 6850 would be fine im all for it, he's all for as cheap as possible.I really dont know besides benchmarks i always go for higher end stuff im runnin a 6990 right now before that i had a 5870 so the lower end stuff i just cant give advice because i always try to get the most out of my build

I'll take a guess and say he's gaming at 720p (1280x720) since it's a tv. Either card would be fine at this resolution but unless you think he desperately needs to save money, I'd tell him to get the 6870. It's significantly faster and will last longer.

Actually, thinking over his needs, here are some other things that could save money.
-drop down to a Sandy Bridge Pentium G850. He doesn't need hyper threading and the 200mhz loss isn't worth $37. There are also some dvd combo deals you should check out with this cpu.
-He could also drop down to 4GB of ram. Though ram is very cheap atm, this could save him $20 or so.

btw, what case did you decide on?
m
l
March 8, 2012 11:34:06 AM

it doesnt excced budget im at 498 and thats not counting rebates that will drop it down to 478.

your right he could drop to g850 but i would feel more comfortable with the i3 2120.I was really trying to get him at least the 2400 but with budget aint happening.I will explain it to him and let him make the call though.

the case i picked is the COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black for 45 with reabte 35 but its still his call he might see a case he likes better but to me with once again the budget i think its on of the better looking cases unless you have another one to recommend.
once again i appreciate the help
m
l
March 8, 2012 4:11:52 PM

Don't count on rebates actually going though.

The i3 certainly has a better name than the "old" pentium brand. There is a performance difference too, it's just not huge. Read here if u want numbers.

Cases are all about preference, if you're not doing it already just sort the cases at newegg by price. To me the thing that makes a cheap case look much nicer is a black interior. But it's all about preference.
m
l
March 8, 2012 4:30:10 PM

You can check those cases, then you friend will save a couple of $.

Rosewill REDBONE Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $35 with With Promo Code
EMCNGNB22

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z $40 $5 off w/ promo code EMCNGNB25, ends 3/14

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|11-133-094^11-133-094-TS%2C11-119-227^11-119-227-TS%2C11-147-159^11-147-159-TS

m
l
March 8, 2012 10:56:33 PM

thanks everyone for your help
m
l
March 8, 2012 10:57:39 PM

Best answer selected by momazboy.
m
l
!