Sign in with
Your question

CPU at 76% usage-after new graphic card install?

Last response: in CPUs
June 22, 2012 6:54:12 PM

Hi there thanks for looking at this,I just installed a new Sapphire 7970 graphics card today and I notice my I5-2500 is running at 76-81% usage ?? This is while I'm doing nothing,I have run MSI kombuster a few times and stress tested the card and also ran the benchtests..and my PC has locked up and failed to finish the stress tests and benchmarks.I must say my PC case seems a little small for my liking and I had to shoehorn the graphic card in there so the airflow is probably not great, although I did install an extra fan last week in preperation of this Card and I also upgraded the power supply to a 700w Corsair.Can anyone tell me whats happening to my CPU? many thanks for listening.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 7:20:05 PM

You must have something running in the background or left a stress test on.
June 22, 2012 7:24:57 PM

geekapproved said:
You must have something running in the background or left a stress test on.

Thanks for your reply,I just checked and I feel stupid now but I'm downloading a game from a file sharing website-I forgot-Could that be the reason for all that cpu usage? Thanks man
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 7:44:34 PM

it's possible.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 8:04:38 PM

I have "problems" with certain combinations of programs running at the same time, especially games.

If I play a game like D3 - and start downloading using a download manager - sometimes my CPU spikes extremely high.

So normally if I play a game or do a benchmark or working on something - i don't let anything else run. Unless I know it won't cause weird issues.
!