Sign in with
Your question

What cpu to choose

Last response: in CPUs
June 22, 2012 7:06:37 PM

hi,

Im thinking about getting a computer mainly for gaming. I just want to play mw3 no other games and i was wondering what cpu to get.
I went on a pc configuration website and i got these two configurations

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition i5 3570K
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Ram Asus P8Z77-V LX
NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 1 GB 4GB DDR3 1333mhz
Asus M5A78L LE (AMD 760G) 500GB HDD
450W PSU AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB
500 GB HDD 400W PSU

£460 (computer planet) £548 (Dino PC)

Now i know you need a z77 motherboard to overclock so thats why i chose it for the i5 3570K, because my budget is £550 and thats all I've got i made a Phenom configuration so i could buy a new keyboard and MW3 but I've heard that phenom is good enough for gaming but i5 is better. But is their any need to get i5 so please help me choose or any specification adjustments. And i was wondering if i take off the z77 motherboard on list 2 and put a h61 is there any point of getting i5 3570k then if there is no point which i5 should i get without a K.

Thank you

More about : cpu choose

a b à CPUs
June 22, 2012 8:01:13 PM

The Phenom there will play anything you want but the Graphics card you chose is way below par. Thats not a gaming card you want a 550ti MINIMUM but preferably better
June 23, 2012 12:19:35 AM

wr6133 said:
The Phenom there will play anything you want but the Graphics card you chose is way below par. Thats not a gaming card you want a 550ti MINIMUM but preferably better

Or perhaps a 7770. Also I'd get at least a 500W 80 Plus certified PSU insted of a 450W, just to make sure.

Best regards.
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
June 23, 2012 12:34:13 AM

The Phenom II rig in my sig kicks the crap out of MW2 and 3. Then again, so does my Core2Duo in my Dell laptop lol. Thats pretty easy to do, and absolutely no reason to get an i5 to do it. But as mentioned, a better video card is a hot idea. 550 TI is a good card for the casual gamer like myself, but really you could do better.
June 23, 2012 2:40:36 PM

i'd personally go with intel build.this gives you more room for upgrade in the future. plus get at least 500W PSU and better GPU. if you'd take out z77 board, and replace it with h61 chipsets, i'd rather go with i5 3450. though, if you plan on upgrading your board in the future, you can get the k series now :)  i don't know how much will be the price drop if you'd save the i5 3570k and z77 for the future. so if it doesn't bother you, go for it :) 
June 23, 2012 8:22:19 PM

Thank you so much for the advice it really helped I took rdx07's advice and I know i5 is better than Phenom so I chose to put a h61 chipset and now i cant overclock so that means I wont choose i5 3570k i will get i5 3550 and i took the gpu advise as well and got this i5 configuration

i5 3550 3.30ghz
Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3
4GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM
500GB HDD
GTX 550 Ti 1GB or Radeon HD 7770 1GB
500W PSU

With GTX 550ti is £531
With Radeon HD 7770 is £550

Which GPU should I get? Is there any point of spending £19 more for HD 7770 or should I stick with GTX 550ti.

If you really think I should get Phenom then here's a configuration and remember my budget is £550 so it doesn't matter if you pick the more expensive one so here is Phenom.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4ghz
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
500 GB HDD
Radeon HD 7770 1 GB
700W PSU

£528

I chose 700W PSU because for some weird reason it was cheaper than the 500W PSU. I'm not a Gaming PC expert but if the i5 configuration is only £3 more should I get i5 and i think i5 3550 is better than Phenom II X4 965 if I'm wrong correct me.

So all I'm asking is which NEW configuration to pick and if you pick i5 answer the GPU question please but I think it would be better if I go with GTX 550ti so I have money left over on the i5 configuration.

Thank you
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2012 9:59:34 PM

Why not go with a 2500K instead? Itll be a little bit cheaper, give you almost identical performance and will leave you more room for a better GPU. And Id go with a Z68 chipset. If you want to overclock, you can and itll let you use your IGPU. I think this is a good thing because if your video card every craps out and you dont have a replacement, you can at least have a video signal to use your computer til you get your replacement card in.
a c 78 à CPUs
June 24, 2012 6:45:33 AM

Quote:
i'd personally go with intel build.this gives you more room for upgrade in the future

No it doesn't. Not the CPU side anyway. LGA 1155 is EOL 1st quarter 2013.

At any rate, I agree, if you got the cash, go for a Sandy Bridge i5. Ivy costs more and offers absolutely no advantage for gamers, and minimal at best on the productivity side.

Quote:
So all I'm asking is which NEW configuration to pick and if you pick i5 answer the GPU question please but I think it would be better if I go with GTX 550ti so I have money left over on the i5 configuration.

I think theres something else that needs to be considered here that some benchmarking websites don't seem to spell out clearly enough. The vast majority of video games are limited by the video card, not the processor. A stronger CPU can help in CPU limited games, and can make a powerful video card realize its full potential, however, a stronger CPU cannot make a weaker video card perform better.

Meaning.. The HD7770 is a stronger video card than the 550 TI, which means, much to the chagrin of some people, the Phenom II build you have is going to game better than the ivy bridge build you put together if you pair it with a 550 TI more often than not.

Even better if you're hitting budget constraints, you're better off using the Phenom II and cranking up to a 7850 if you can swing it. And more often than not, that build will game better than a ivy bridge with a 7770 even. If that helps put it in perspective.
June 24, 2012 9:23:35 AM

The thing is that i5 configuration is more cheap than getting it on another configuration website and the website im going on only does ivy bridge and if I try going on a other website and take your advice by putting i5 2500k and radeon hd 7770 i get a configuration that costs £622 which is £72 over my budget. I've heard that ivy is better than sandy bridge and ivy costs less anyway so im not going to go with the sandy because its £622 so now im back to same place. Now someone said upgrade phenoms configuration to 7850 but thats way to much for me so I'm stuck between my 2 latest configurations which one do I choose

Thanks
June 24, 2012 9:27:02 AM

Oh yeah can I overclock the phenom with the motherboard I've got
a c 78 à CPUs
June 24, 2012 5:39:00 PM

xZeus said:
The thing is that i5 configuration is more cheap than getting it on another configuration website and the website im going on only does ivy bridge and if I try going on a other website and take your advice by putting i5 2500k and radeon hd 7770 i get a configuration that costs £622 which is £72 over my budget. I've heard that ivy is better than sandy bridge and ivy costs less anyway so im not going to go with the sandy because its £622 so now im back to same place. Now someone said upgrade phenoms configuration to 7850 but thats way to much for me so I'm stuck between my 2 latest configurations which one do I choose

Thanks

Yes, you can overclock a Phenom II on that motherboard.

I guess it depends on where you get it if the Sandy is cheaper than Ivy. As far as ivy being better, benches show about a 6% average increase over Sandy.. Which is really nothing considering Sandys are already more than powerful enough to do anything. Not worth the 10 dollar price difference to me.
Performance:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/ivy-bridge-vs-sandy-bridge-...

Price-

Sandy i5-2500K$220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ivy i5-3570K (direct replacement to 2500K) $230

As far as which to choose, its up to you, both of them are going to get the job done, but if the 7770 is the best video card you can afford, get that one.
June 24, 2012 7:36:28 PM

I just did some good research and found out that the tdm of phenom is 125watts and and the motherboard I've got can only take 125watts so does that mean i cant overclock because I've seen in reviews that if the cpu and motherboard are the same amount of watt usage you cant overclock if thats false can you tell me how I can overclock with out teperatures getting to high thanks and you know when you said if the 7770 is all you've got get that one what do you mean by that

Thanks a lot you've been very helpful nekulturny
June 24, 2012 8:10:15 PM

oh yeah will windows vista run games slower than windows 7 because i dont feel like spending so much money on a OS
a c 78 à CPUs
June 24, 2012 8:17:52 PM

The TDP is the thermal design power is a bunch of blah blibbity blah blah I admit exceeds my current knowledge as to have a full understanding of it, (I try to refrain from saying things I'm not certain of) however I do know for sure it doesnt mean you cannot overclock.

Really the biggest factor is going to be the quality of the motherboard you're using, Asus makes em well, although the 760G chipset is an older one, however that really shouldn't be a factor in overclocking. You tend to want a better board when overclocking because a higher quality board will have more power phases which helps with the stability of your overclock, also the capacitors and mosfets on the board will be higher quality.

As far as using CPUs with the same TDP as the motherboards, no thats not true. Of course when you overclock you are taking the CPU beyond its factory recommended specifications. There is always a risk in doing this, however, again refer to my above statement regarding quality. Keep in mind when you look at benchmarks showing how much wattage a system is using, its typically measuring how many watts the entire system is drawing from the electrical socket in the wall, not how much the CPU itself is using.

As far as overclocking a Phenom II, my advice is not to go any higher than 3.6-3.7GHZ on the stock CPU cooler, the Phenom II 980 model is clocked at 3.7GHZ by default, and both the 965 and 980 ship with the same cooler, and are identical CPUs except for their clock settings, so you should be safe going to 3.7GHZ, although every CPU overclocks differently. If you wish to go beyond that you might consider an aftermarket CPU cooler, although Phenom IIs tend to top out at 4.2-4.4GHZ.

This is probably one of the best air coolers on the market currently, and yes it works with both Phenom IIs and Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs. :

As far as what I meant about the 7770, I meant if that is the most expensive video card you can afford, get that one instead of the 550 TI, regardless of whether you pair it up with a Phenom II or an Ivy Bridge. Yes, I have a 550 TI, but mine is overclcoked and I'm a casual gamer, so I didn't really need a powerful video card. Its not a bad card at all, its pretty decent, but there are better ones out there for more serious gamers than myself.

a c 78 à CPUs
June 24, 2012 8:19:45 PM

xZeus said:
oh yeah will windows vista run games slower than windows 7 because i dont feel like spending so much money on a OS

No it wont, however, Windows Vista is *shudder*, not one of Microsoft's best inventions, but no barring any occasional compatibility issues (which you probably would only run into with older games pre-vista), no its not going to slow the games down. As long as we're talking a 64 bit version of Vista. Either way, Windows 8 is coming out later this year, you may as well hold off anyway.
June 25, 2012 7:03:04 AM

so it will be safe if I overclock the Phenom x4 965 to 3.7ghz with the motherboard I've got and the stock cooler that and provides
a c 78 à CPUs
June 25, 2012 7:14:59 AM

It should be yes. The reason I say should rather than guarantee is because every CPU is different. Its sort of like snowflakes.
June 25, 2012 6:37:23 PM

thank you so much for everything nekulturny because you said get the phenom con figuration i made a couple of days ago im going to go with that but if you have some things to say about that go ahead
a c 78 à CPUs
June 25, 2012 6:43:00 PM

You're welcome, theres nothing I can really say except I wish you had a little bit more budget for a stronger video card. Any chance you can squeeze in a 6870? They're a little better than 7770s.
July 13, 2012 7:51:39 PM

Hello again my friend wanted to get a pc he doesn't really know much about pcs so he asked me so I'm gonna ask u guys this a pc he made and its cheap because he's got ex vat account so this is what we made

Mars ATX Case 2 Fans
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 x 3.4 GHz) 8MB - Black Edition
CPU Heatsink Coolermaster Vortex Plus
RAMCorsair 4GB Value PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Lifetime Warranty
ATI Radeon HD 7770 1 GB (MSI) (PCI-E)
Mobo Asus Sabertooth 990FX (AMD 990FX)
PSU Cooler Master 500W
HDD 250 GB SATA-II HDD 7200 RPM 8MB
SSD 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD SATA-III Read 525MB/s Write 475MB/s

This is our customisation in Engalnd its £544 in America thats around $843 USD is my friend doesn't mind spending this much but is there any point of getting that sabertooth change it if u want if u think he should go with sabertooth how much can he overclock the Phenom x4 965 BE.

Thank You
July 13, 2012 8:01:03 PM

oh yeah a quick thing i chose 250gb because there is free upgrade to 500gb but expires in a few days so quick reply would be good
July 14, 2012 12:21:39 PM

actually leave the SSD
a c 78 à CPUs
July 14, 2012 1:31:13 PM

The sabertooth is a nice board, but honestly you can get one thats just as good for cheaper. Something like an Asus Evo. The overclocking limits on Phenom IIs is about 4.2-4.4GHZ. Every CPU overclocks differently, they're like snowflakes, no 2 are the same. Honestly, if you get to 4.0GHZ, thats pretty decent for an everyday OC.

You could spend that money not buying a sabertooth and getting a stronger video card, that would be more worthwhile.
I would advise you to not get a CoolerMaster Power supply, they are not known for quality. Consider something like Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, etc.
July 14, 2012 4:35:52 PM

I put the asus evo mobo in and put in a corsair Corsair 800W gaming psu but i still can't upgrade the gpu sorry
a c 78 à CPUs
July 14, 2012 4:42:16 PM

Why not? 800 watts is way more power than you need. 500 watts would be sufficient. If you're getting a cheaper mobo and a cheaper PSU, and dropping an SSD, it should work out. I mean, its your computer and you have to be happy with it, but I'm trying to show you where to cut corners to get the best performance you can for your money.
July 14, 2012 5:03:16 PM

the thing is with this website is that the lowest corsair is 800watts
a c 78 à CPUs
July 14, 2012 5:19:08 PM

Have you considered shopping elsewhere? If you're in the UK theres plenty of other merchants.
July 14, 2012 6:18:46 PM

i know there are lots but the only only pc customisation website with a phenom pc is the one I'm using now
a c 78 à CPUs
July 14, 2012 6:29:50 PM

Well, if you're using a customization site, they're building the PC for you. Maybe I misunderstood what you're doing. If you're building your own you have a lot more options available to you from Dabs, or Scan or even Amazon. Building your own isn't that hard.
July 14, 2012 6:48:43 PM

i think I'm going to go with this customisation

Mars ATX Case 2 Fans
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
CPU Heatsink Coolermaster Vortex Plus
RAM Corsair 4GB Value PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Lifetime Warranty
ATI Radeon HD 7770 1 GB (MSI) (PCI-E)
Mobo Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 (AMD 990X)
PSU Cooler Master 500W
HDD 250 GB SATA-II HDD 7200 RPM 8MB free upgrade to 500gb

sorry but this what he can afford
!