Sign in with
Your question
Solved

500Watt PSU For this spec?

Last response: in Components
June 22, 2012 7:16:35 PM

So I'm having sort of problem this last 3 days where my pc reboot randomly (like the power got cut off)

Here is my Spec :
Core i7, 2600k
Zotac GeForce GT 430 4GB
2x 4GB RAM
MotherBoard H61M-VS - ASRock

Current PSU : SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W (80% Efficiency).

Is it the random reboot because of the psu? all the components are no more than 4 months old. Previously, when it's brand new I can play with high cpu consuming game such as Shogun 2 Total War, Skyrim, etc. But this past 3 days it randomly reboot.

More about : 500watt psu spec

a b ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 7:43:26 PM

I would say the PSU is the likely culprit if you have already checked that it isn't your temperatures that are out of whack.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 7:48:24 PM

Silverstone is a quality branded PSU, though you can try your system with any cheap PSU and see how it goes.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2012 7:57:00 PM

And also, Whenever I'm running windows experience assessment, and it always reboot when it assessing either

"CPU Performance" or "Windows Media Decoding *something*". Assuming when doing that assessment, the system cpu loads heavily, thus consuming more electricity which my psu can't hold it (?). One thing for sure, it never pass CPU Performance Assessment because the pc always rebooted.

abekl said:
I would say the PSU is the likely culprit if you have already checked that it isn't your temperatures that are out of whack.

Oh and any recommendation on which psu I should buy?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 8:05:04 PM

Just make sure it's the PSU that causes the problem, try ur build with another PSU if u have one.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 8:21:11 PM

As ilysaml said, check out your system with another PSU first if you can before buying a new PSU. Oh, this just occurred to me, since your system is only 4 months old, your PSU is still under warranty. You should work out a replacement with silverstone.
June 23, 2012 3:16:31 AM

Yeah.

Oh and, Under "Normal" conditions, is 500 Watt should be enough to handle my specifications above??

And is there a chance that my motherboard messed up instead of the psu?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 23, 2012 3:19:51 AM

Yup the reboot can be related to some other parts, but mainly it's the PSU. Just check it. And yes 500W is enough for ur system.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:12:23 AM

In the end I was too busy this weekend >.< will go around today.

And is it possible that this is caused by broken VGA? to think about it recently I've been playing around the vga because I have some issues with guildwars2. Including installing this application called EVGA Precision X
http://www.evga.com/precision/

Where I underclocked my vga
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 25, 2012 8:14:24 AM

If you overclocked your GPU/VGA then that could be the problem. Return it to stock clocks
m
l
June 25, 2012 8:22:02 AM

Oh, this just occurred to me, since your system is only 4 months old, your PSU is still under warranty.
m
l
July 6, 2012 8:27:52 AM

Best answer selected by theref.
m
l
July 6, 2012 9:35:03 AM

Yeah, my psu was broken or something. Replaced with another psu with same specs it works
m
l
!