Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I5-3570 / Radeon 7850 build, NEED PSU HELP! Antec 550w ATX12V

Last response: in Components
Share
June 22, 2012 7:42:16 PM

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $301.68 Bundle /w Mobo at Microcenter
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $301.68 Bundle at Microcenter /w CPU
Memory Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $46.99 @ Microcenter
Hard Drive Western Digital RE2-GP 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card $249.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Apollo Black NP ATX Mid Tower Case $67.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping and discounts when available. $756.62

Is that PSU a safe bet for powering the above rig? Any input at all would be massively appreciated!
Feel free to comment/suggest alternatives to any of the above components.
a b ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 7:51:23 PM

It's safe to power this rig with a very high end card such as GTX 690!!!
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 137 ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 7:53:07 PM

Good build!

The psu is of good quality and is sufficient.
Here is the AMD recommendation for a 7850:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/78...

Consider adding a SSD for the os and apps. It will make everything feel so much quicker.
Look first to Intel or samsung.
Share
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 8:00:59 PM

geofelt said:
Good build!

The psu is of good quality and is sufficient.
Here is the AMD recommendation for a 7850:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/78...

Consider adding a SSD for the os and apps. It will make everything feel so much quicker.
Look first to Intel or samsung.

You'll get him to be freaked when he see the requirement as "500W or greater power supply". AMD and nVidia recommend a higher wattage PSU assuming the individuals have a generic PSUs, or a cheap junky Chinese PSU not rated for the actual output.
But if you think of it, a high end GTX 690 consumes 270W in full load, 400W s a total system power consumption, this leaves 150W as a wide room for overclocking too, he's more than safe.
m
0
l
a c 137 ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 8:08:20 PM

ilysaml said:
You'll get him to be freaked when he see the requirement as "500W or greater power supply". AMD and nVidia recommend a higher wattage PSU assuming the individuals have a generic PSUs, or a cheap junky Chinese PSU not rated for the actual output.
But if you think of it, a high end GTX 690 consumes 270W in full load, 400W s a total system power consumption, this leaves 150W as a wide room for overclocking too, he's more than safe.


True enough.

But 400-500-600w quality psu's do not differ too much in cost.
An overprovisioned psu will only consume the power it actually needs.
If it operates in the middle third of it's range, it will usually be at it's most efficient, an be a bit quieter.

I know you can get away with less, but if you adhere to the graphics card vendor's suggested requirements, you will not get into a zipping confrontation if there should be a problem.
m
0
l
June 22, 2012 8:25:00 PM

geofelt said:
True enough.

But 400-500-600w quality psu's do not differ too much in cost.
An overprovisioned psu will only consume the power it actually needs.
If it operates in the middle third of it's range, it will usually be at it's most efficient, an be a bit quieter.

I know you can get away with less, but if you adhere to the graphics card vendor's suggested requirements, you will not get into a zipping confrontation if there should be a problem.



Thanks for your replies! I am planning on getting an SSD at some later date, just going to hawk around for a quicksale.

Do you have a superior PSU recommendation or am I gold for this build?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 8:27:47 PM

More than sufficient, even if you'll plan to Crossfire later.
m
0
l
a c 137 ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 8:34:53 PM

LordAxolotl said:
Thanks for your replies! I am planning on getting an SSD at some later date, just going to hawk around for a quicksale.

Do you have a superior PSU recommendation or am I gold for this build?


You are good.

On the SSD, it is easier to build on a SSD to begin with.

A 120gb ssd will hold the OS and a handful of games.
I would defer on the Hard drive, it is much easier to add one later.
Here is a good value intel 330 120gb ssd for $110 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 4:43:33 PM

Best answer selected by LordAxolotl.
m
0
l
September 29, 2012 10:26:46 PM

LordAxolotl said:
Thanks for your replies! I am planning on getting an SSD at some later date, just going to hawk around for a quicksale.

Do you have a superior PSU recommendation or am I gold for this build?


After looking at your build I think I am going to steal it I have been looking into builds for this card. Good build.
m
0
l
!