Default folder order is reverse alphabetical

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

A while back my default folder settings must have changed.
Now when I bring up a folder the file listing are in
reverse alpha order. I don't know how it changed but more
importantly I can not find how to change the default to be
in regular alpha order.

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:11:55 -0700, Frank wrote:

> A while back my default folder settings must have changed.
> Now when I bring up a folder the file listing are in
> reverse alpha order. I don't know how it changed but more
> importantly I can not find how to change the default to be
> in regular alpha order.

The reverse alphabetical sort is an old Windows bug documented here:
Items in "Open" and "Save As" Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly

To fix, open Windows Explorer with the focus on the root drive (usually
C:). Set the sort order. Then close this window using File> Close

The article recommends pressing Ctrl and then clicking the X in the upper
right hand corner. David Candy tells us that this key combo is not
effective in XP. However, you can try it if you want or use the File> Close
as mentioned above.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi

Click on 'Name' at the top of the column.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A while back my default folder settings must have changed.
> Now when I bring up a folder the file listing are in
> reverse alpha order. I don't know how it changed but more
> importantly I can not find how to change the default to be
> in regular alpha order.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well yes of course that changes the order for that
instance but I want to change it to be the default
everytime I open a folder.

Hi

With Windows Explorer open, set whatever settings you need to, then go to
Tools>Folder Options>View and click on 'Apply to All Folders'.

--

> Well yes of course that changes the order for that
> instance but I want to change it to be the default
> everytime I open a folder.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007