Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Do i need better fans?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 8, 2012 1:43:27 AM

do i need to add a filter to the case and better fans for the case? there the Slandered case fans i think.

case was "COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119196

it comes with 2 red LED fans

another question is

should i use high grade thermal stuff on my CPU when i add better fan to it??.....
if so what type, i might b able to get this at my computer shop or bestbuy. xD

(i got everything in the mail just forgot to get a DVDRW drive (now im thinking of getting BLUERAY instead xD)


-Edited- (as of 3/8/12)


this is the set up i am using for this case


MOBO : ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157271
CPU : I5 2500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115072
RAM : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820226191
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136284
GPU : SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102948
PSU : SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817151095
OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6832116986
TOTAL : $909.92

More about : fans

March 8, 2012 9:04:07 AM

I would get that third fan installed, the description does say it has three slots for fans, always get them filled up because it helps with cooling

Thermal compound is normally good with stock cpus, but it depends on what you're wanting to do with the cpu, if you're overclocking it then yes I would get better thermal compound including a better heatsink

I always get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... thermal paste

Let me know what CPU you're getting and what you're planning on doing with it
m
0
l
March 8, 2012 9:09:20 AM

sorry kinda didn't answer your main question there :D , they should be fine on a case that expensive though just get it filled up
m
0
l
Related resources
March 8, 2012 11:08:51 AM

The stock fans that come with the case are probably fine unless you plan on dual GPUs and serious overclocking. You've got a top and rear exhaust, which are probably most important. Tom's just did a great article on case cooling, I just can't seem to find the link at the moment.

Filters are nice, but if they didn't come stock with the case, I'm not sure you can just buy a filter to add.

Tom's also did an article recently on thermal paste and showed that most of the top brands are all going to be pretty darn close.

You didn't say if you planned to overclock or not, but if you're not you probably won't need an aftermarket CPU cooler. If you do, the Hyper 212 is a great choice, and already comes with some nice thermal paste. Keep in mind that you may have clearance issues with a side fan if you add a big CPU cooler like the Hyper 212. No biggie really, the exhaust are IMO the most important factor anyway.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 8, 2012 2:53:35 PM

i agree that you should have a fan in each hole. the case fans that come even on top dollar cases might not always be the best, however for an average user they are normally sufficient. if you have heat problems they do make better cfm fans.

i always use artic silver 5 on my cpu. one tube will last you several builds. you can wipe off the old stuff with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

you can buy filters from xoxide.com, frozencpu.com, and other places. you put them between the fan and the case, they have holes for the screws to pass through.

the outlet fans are the most important (as air will find its own way in) but i would not suggest blocking one of the fans.
m
0
l
March 8, 2012 5:27:46 PM

Tauorca said:
I would get that third fan installed, the description does say it has three slots for fans, always get them filled up because it helps with cooling

Thermal compound is normally good with stock cpus, but it depends on what you're wanting to do with the cpu, if you're overclocking it then yes I would get better thermal compound including a better heatsink

I always get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... thermal paste

Let me know what CPU you're getting and what you're planning on doing with it


Tauorca said:
sorry kinda didn't answer your main question there :D , they should be fine on a case that expensive though just get it filled up



catatafish said:
The stock fans that come with the case are probably fine unless you plan on dual GPUs and serious overclocking. You've got a top and rear exhaust, which are probably most important. Tom's just did a great article on case cooling, I just can't seem to find the link at the moment.

Filters are nice, but if they didn't come stock with the case, I'm not sure you can just buy a filter to add.

Tom's also did an article recently on thermal paste and showed that most of the top brands are all going to be pretty darn close.

You didn't say if you planned to overclock or not, but if you're not you probably won't need an aftermarket CPU cooler. If you do, the Hyper 212 is a great choice, and already comes with some nice thermal paste. Keep in mind that you may have clearance issues with a side fan if you add a big CPU cooler like the Hyper 212. No biggie really, the exhaust are IMO the most important factor anyway.



I dont think im going to over clock the CPU, since im new to this all together, and it took 2 years to save this much cash (1000+ with everything).

Im using

MOBO : ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157271
CPU : I5 2500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115072
RAM : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820226191
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136284
GPU : SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102948
PSU : SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817151095
OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6832116986
TOTAL : $909.92

(i new i should of put this down. xD)
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 8, 2012 6:06:31 PM

you should be fine with the stock cpu cooler and thermal paste, but it wouldnt hurt to put something better on it. i've made it a habit.

the stock fans should be okay but spending $5-10 on one to fill the hole is a good investment.

look at the websites i listed. you fan find some filters there. thermal paste too.
m
0
l
March 9, 2012 9:19:12 AM

ssddx said:
you should be fine with the stock cpu cooler and thermal paste, but it wouldnt hurt to put something better on it. i've made it a habit.

the stock fans should be okay but spending $5-10 on one to fill the hole is a good investment.

look at the websites i listed. you fan find some filters there. thermal paste too.



i did, but now im in a jiffy, i got everything in, but i cant fig out how or where to really put the power supply. it gave me ALOT of cables and i dont know where to put them (other then the motherboard that install guild was the best.. the other things SUCKed when it came to the install guild to the point the GPU dont even give a clear pic. it looks out of date. along with the power-supply looks more high teck then a few utube vids i seen... (u add the wires ur self and all)

but anyway is there anything that can tell me how and where to put all the power con-actions? and i did not relise this tell later in my build my HD come with no wires or even a install booklet... so i dont no how to add it to my motherboard and other things...

but anyway i really want to get my power cable inserted.. and i dont want to b forced to go to the comp store and look like a .... but anyway... i ask about the power because i wont want my computer to blow in in my face.. xD

and this is my first computer build.. :( 

injoyed doing this tell i got over whelmed by all the wires in the case and the powersupply. xD
m
0
l
March 9, 2012 9:47:49 AM

I would get a pro to do it, you should only put something together if you know how.. and at almost 1000 if something goes in the wrong place bye bye almost 1000... trust me I know.. I failed to but the 4 pin mobo cable in before... boom :D 
m
0
l
March 10, 2012 12:31:09 PM

You can do it, its super easy. Everything is labeled. Front panel connections go to mobo which will all be labeled, fans probably go to molex, cpu fan goes to mobo which will be labeled, PSU goes to HDD and opticals, PSU goes to 2 different main power connections which only fit in one hole. GPU goes to PSU with PCIE connectors.....there are tons of videos on youtube demonstrating, give it a shot! http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/video_how_bui...

Get a flashlight and magnifying glass if you need to. I did :) .
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 8:12:09 AM

thanks, if i can do it my self, that be great since that would save me the cash, only drawback is i still need a HARDDRIVE cord or something since it never came with anything just the box and ELM seal bag it was in..

where can i get the cords and such, i found a cord i think fits the HD but its threw the cases frame (i think its the power butten cord or something...
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 1:46:58 PM

Probably your HD Audio.

Didn't your motherboard come with SATA connectors? Do you have 1 or 2 red connectors that came with it?
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 3:00:41 PM

catatafish said:
Probably your HD Audio.

Didn't your motherboard come with SATA connectors? Do you have 1 or 2 red connectors that came with it?


i found them but i am in anothonther promble, i dont think my cases wires fit the board. the power / reset wires have 2 f-pins each en the board only gives 1 m-pin for each 1. (i have fans and i dont see anything to plug the fans into the board. lol tho they gave enough usb wires so thats good lol

man im so out of date by 10 years lol wow :lol: 
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 11:12:39 AM

there should be little 3 pin connection areas on the board labeled "fan1", "fan2"..... etcetera. you can plug in all the fans you want this way if they have the small rectangular fan connectors. if they havea big 4pin molex then plug into your psu's molex connectors. the cpu fan needs to be plugged into the mb plug marked cpu fan.

i hear you, those little pins for the front panel can be a pain. however i do believe they should be all standard. my case came with two different wire sets...with two different pin arrangements. does yours?

honestly putting a pc together is just matching up lables. watch a youtube video if you must, i'm sure someone shows putting one together. who cares if it is your board, it will give you an idea of what to look for.
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 6:57:32 PM

sad thing was nothing was labeled from the start, (while saying this the case wires (like power/ reset, ect was. but that was about other. tho the PSU wires only had 1 lable for the Graphics card and they had there own spot on the PSU so that was cool)

im just glade there where vids on youtube for this. took 4 days but its mostly put together i just need the DVD drive and all. xD

they where normal from what i could tell by the vid i watched.

and the FANS gone into the PSU. (only option i could fig out. xD no other wires for the fans. this mad it easy tho.. xD i have 3 places to put opt case fans. so thats cool. still thinking of adding (forcing some type of mesh thingy under the fans to limit the dust entering the case...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 7:24:52 PM

thunderlord said:
sad thing was nothing was labeled from the start, (while saying this the case wires (like power/ reset, ect was. but that was about other. tho the PSU wires only had 1 lable for the Graphics card and they had there own spot on the PSU so that was cool)

im just glade there where vids on youtube for this. took 4 days but its mostly put together i just need the DVD drive and all. xD

they where normal from what i could tell by the vid i watched.

and the FANS gone into the PSU. (only option i could fig out. xD no other wires for the fans. this mad it easy tho.. xD i have 3 places to put opt case fans. so thats cool. still thinking of adding (forcing some type of mesh thingy under the fans to limit the dust entering the case...

Like these maybe?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
:) 
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2012 9:49:17 AM

thunderlord said:
coool im thinking more like this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(something far more fine since i live in a house with 3 dogs and 2 cats.. lol everything that can help limit the hair.. lol

Down to only 2 dogs now but I know what you mean. :)  I thought that if I just showed you the one you'd find your way to the others that were available! Here's some links to other sites that offer even more choices:
http://www.frozencpu.com/
http://www.xoxide.com/fanaccessories.html
Good luck in your effort. :D 
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 10:20:27 AM

in the end i pic-ed them because they seem the best opt.

my only thing is i still dont have a int- DVD drive can i just plug my Ext. DVD right once drive in threw the usb on its first boot up??...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2012 10:44:55 AM

thunderlord said:
in the end i pic-ed them because they seem the best opt.

my only thing is i still dont have a int- DVD drive can i just plug my Ext. DVD right once drive in threw the usb on its first boot up??...

If I understand you correctly - yes it should be detected right away by your os. Is it win 7 compatible?
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 10:56:54 AM

Chaz21 said:
If I understand you correctly - yes it should be detected right away by your os. Is it win 7 compatible?


yes its, a cheapy but yes.

if i new this i could of done this 2 days ago.. lol XD

then again im getting 2 more fans for the said panel so the GPU gets its own set, then again i dont think i need the fans right away since im not going to game on it right off need a *** load of up dates. xD
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2012 11:04:59 AM

thunderlord said:
yes its, a cheapy but yes.

if i new this i could of done this 2 days ago.. lol XD

then again im getting 2 more fans for the said panel so the GPU gets its own set, then again i dont think i need the fans right away since im not going to game on it right off need a *** load of up dates. xD

Do your updates incrementally. Don't try to do them all at once. There will be a lot of rebooting involved so be patient. Some have had great success in applying all the updates at once while others have had "issues". My sense is why take a chance with issues? Good luck to you. :) 
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 11:34:42 AM

i try to about 5 or so at a time, mostly the most im-port-ent right away.. but others i can wait. (like the GUP drivers i will update ASAP, and the main files for the OS.. i just dont know what updates to stay away from when doing this since i had a few updates act more like a vruis then a virus them self's do.. lol xD

but then again i might try to get what i can at a time.. (not all more like 5 or more reboots.. if i have to do rebooting all day en night long i will cry.. xD (dread, it be just as bad or worse then playing the B1 in world of tanks.. xD)

thanks for the hell im loging of my laptop now to sleep threw the day.. (my bad i watched movies threw the night.. and 1 left i never watched yet.. xD)
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2012 1:24:48 PM

You've got this covered. Good luck to you. :) 
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 5:52:26 AM

Chaz21 said:
You've got this covered. Good luck to you. :) 


i desided to make my own fliters, i did by a blue LED 120mm fan tho. 2 for 7.08 (cheaper going with 2 then 1.) and a DVD RW...the sad thing is looking for my power cord to my screen i cant find it.. (go fig i left it alone and never looked for the cord tell now, im going to walk down to wallmart and buy 1 for now.... need a power stip anyway because my APC only makes a high pitched sound now and i dono what to do.. it lasted long atlest. it was 510 ( i think ) 79 bucks at the time... 2000 i think i got it in...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2012 10:38:53 AM

thunderlord said:
i desided to make my own fliters, i did by a blue LED 120mm fan tho. 2 for 7.08 (cheaper going with 2 then 1.) and a DVD RW...the sad thing is looking for my power cord to my screen i cant find it.. (go fig i left it alone and never looked for the cord tell now, im going to walk down to wallmart and buy 1 for now.... need a power stip anyway because my APC only makes a high pitched sound now and i dono what to do.. it lasted long atlest. it was 510 ( i think ) 79 bucks at the time... 2000 i think i got it in...

I'd be interested in how you make the filters. Parts used, where you bought them etc. I might try that myself! :) 
m
0
l
!