Sign in with
Your question

Is my 8150 getting too high temps?

Last response: in Components
June 22, 2012 8:12:25 PM

Hi heter.
I recently installed my FX 8150 on my GA-990XA-UD3 with the stock cooler.
But coretemp reported temperatures of 67ºC runing unigine's heaven; so I thought "I need better cooling".
Better cooling means an Antec H2O 620, and now, under the same test, it rarely goes over 50ºC. Iddles at 33.
The thing is, AMD Overdrive tool and speedfan temp3 give me 10ºC hotter readings, so I'm worried. I probably applied badly the thermal compund, because if not, my chip¡s bad.
Any ideas that may help solve my case?
Oh, and I've red anything about the 8150 on this forums, and while some tips have improved my teps (Disabling boost), the chip stil heats up a lot, and I've red that the average temps are even 10ºC under what coretemp does.
Thanks in advance, JD.

More about : 8150 high temps

June 22, 2012 9:26:18 PM

You reapply the thermal paste by cleaning out the cpu. Make sure to apply a pea size amount thermal paste back onto the cpu. Not too much and not too little. You can also try other cpu coolers such as the Hyper 212 Evo or Plus.

Make sure you have good airflow around your case. In terms of having fans for intake fans at the front and side of the case and exhaust fans at the back and top of the case.
June 22, 2012 10:15:02 PM

^^

Try and reset the cooler, above.
Related resources
June 22, 2012 11:19:56 PM

I have a fx8120 oc to 4.0 ghz cooled with a coolermaster hyper 212 evo and my temps don't go above 47 degrees even under heavy load.

USE HW monitor to check temps.
June 22, 2012 11:20:47 PM

Better cooling means an Antec H2O 620, and now, under the same test, it rarely goes over 50ºC. Iddles at 33

Good range ^
June 23, 2012 8:36:28 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I have a fx8120 oc to 4.0 ghz cooled with a coolermaster hyper 212 evo and my temps don't go above 47 degrees even under heavy load.

USE HW monitor to check temps.

That's part of the problem, mine is running at stock 3.6GHz. HWMonitor gives me similar readings to coretemp, so I'll take those as the valid ones.
Also, maybe the compound nedded to settle? this morning it's idling at 28-30 and it has taken me several runs of 3DMark, PCMark, windows system evaluation tool, and PerformanceTest 7.0 to get it to peak at 51 for half a second, and when I started it it was idling at 19-20. Granted I installed a new 120mm fan that I had laying around injecting air directly into the radiator's fan airflow from avobe...
June 23, 2012 11:40:54 AM

That extra fan will help the airflow,you should be fine.
June 24, 2012 4:03:49 AM

Make sure you looking at the right temps. The "Core" temp is the actual CPU core from the sensor inside the CPU. The CPU temp is the temp of the CPU socket and is read by a sensor on the motherboard. These are always a little higher than the core temp and can very by as much at 10C. The core temp is the one youre wanting to keep an eye on.
June 25, 2012 2:20:07 PM

Oh, I'm checking the Core temps, both with cpuid and coretemp.
Well, I opened it up, and looked at the paste. looked like a mess down there, with diferent densities and a blob of baste oveer one place.
So I applied Thermaltake TG2 (Yeah, Artic Cool would have been better, but the shop doesn't have it and it'd last 5 days to reach me via Amazon, maybe in a month or two). I placed a blob, a bit bigger than the size of a BB at the center of the CPU after cleaning, and secured the pump flawlessly....
And my temperatures have gone down 3-4 degrees, far from what's expected after applying a paste right, and still well over the temperatures people get with stock cooling, not to mention watercooling. I must say we are at 34ºC as ambient temperature here, but it should keep cooler than idling at 33 and slowly sloping down to 27 if I don't touch it.
Or maybe I'm being paranoid, AMD's get extra heat (Been Intel for as long as I can remember, and those things rarely heat up) and summer in Spain is a refrigeration killer?
Thanks for your previous answers, and thanks in advance for the ones after this message.
!