Sign in with
Your question

80 plus platinum

Last response: in Components
June 22, 2012 8:14:09 PM

Recently the EPA has come up with a new 80 plus platinum but its currently only for 240V users. Here in the US and Canada we use 120V service which is not as efficient as the efficiency curve testifies.

Searching google found a single PSU that achieved it, for a high-end corporate server.

I have found a couple of 80 plus platinum models that can get there on 120V but they are out of my current budget.

http://www.hardcore-games.tk/wp/psu.php

I cleaned up the 80 plus table lots too.

So far my TX850TX2 has been good, better than the old PSU and it should do the job for now.

I expect more efficient models will get cheaper as time ticks on.

More about : platinum

a c 276 ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 9:23:21 PM

The EPA has nothing to do with 80+, it wasn't created by them primarily because it is an international program. It was created and is run by Ecova. Currently 80+ titanium is only spec'd out for the redundant power supplies, but 80+ platinum exists in many 115V capable PSUs so im not really sure what this post is about other than another plug for your website which isn't even accurate.

Lets go for this line from your bit about 12 V being important:
"Some power supplies use 2 or more circuits. This is done to reduce costs as high current FET devices are very expensive. Our AK680 uses a pair of 20A circuits that provides the capacity to operate a single gaming card. We have seen some other models with 4 circuits. Load balancing is vital when using a multi circuit power supply."

First off, all of the 12 V power comes from a single source, rails do not imply sources, the only dual 12 V source PSU i know of is the HX1000 from corsair which was 2 500W PSUs in a single case, so multiple 12 V rails does not make it cheaper because they still need to use the same high current FETs to provide the source that the rails tap off of.

Also, use pictures of the PSUs that are the same as the ones you are referring to in the text, that page confuses the hell out of me when you keep referring to the AK680 which i see no pictures of a load table for.
m
l
June 22, 2012 9:51:44 PM

I have not noticed the HX1000 but I have seen the HX1050 on the Corsair web site.

by the time I got some better equipment the AK680 failed so I cannot retest it.

I plan to replace some images on the page as well as the label pic is not what I would call a very good PSU compared to the TX850V2 I recently acquired

I also finally got around to replacing the LABEL graphic with the TX850V2 I have.

The cable connector pics are very old images but they are supposed to be anchored to the section. Is there an alignment problem?

m
l
Related resources
a c 276 ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 10:05:47 PM

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
There are shots of the internals of the HX1000 in the jonnyguru review, you will notice it is almost symmetrical because there is a 12V source on each side, it is old and discontinued now and the only multi 12 V source PSU i know of.

The HX1050 is based off of a very different platform and has a single 12 V source and a single 12 V rail. You will notice it does not have two big transformers visible in the overhead shot.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

The connectors are in the right spot, but you have the picture of a load table from a TP-750 and refer to multiple other power supplies and not the one you have a load table of shown.
m
l
June 22, 2012 10:10:23 PM

Load table, no load table outside of the add-it up section and the GPU power requirements

what section is the TP-750 you are citing located at?
m
l
June 22, 2012 10:12:55 PM

That image is now the TX850 label if you are referring the that old PSU label
m
l
June 22, 2012 10:18:21 PM

I looked at that HX1000 that cited, I vaguely recall seeing a PSU like that some time ago

The TX850 is where I believe the industry will eventually go. Single rail is easier to setup, no need to fuss with cable choices.
m
l
June 22, 2012 10:39:06 PM

^follow the link in hunter's sig. multi-rail is not better than single.
m
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 10:58:03 PM

Pretty much every post by this guy is a plug for his website.
m
l
June 22, 2012 11:24:00 PM

How come all new models of PSUs from Corsair are single rail from the cheap CX through the AX1200?

That is so that there is no problems. RMA is expensive, single rail means using adapters etc are fine as all the capacity is available.

All I know is while not quite the top of the line, the TX850 I bough is a solid choice. I will be updating the review and the PSU page frequently as I acquire more hardware.

m
l
a c 276 ) Power supply
June 22, 2012 11:35:59 PM

Actually the main reason for that is because they FUD a fair amount about single rail being more compatible, it really doesn't matter. It also lets them use a simpler controller with only 1 OCP sensor which lets them make it slightly cheaper, though some of their older models were multi rail. The HX 620 and HX520 were dual rail PSUs.

As for not needing to worry about adapters, any decent multi rail PSU is laid out well enough that you will not run into issues, as i already wrote in the post in my signature

"The lie in this scenario is that multi rail units have their over current protection(OCP) limits set such that you wont end up with trapped power, in this scenario the unit would likely have its OCP limit set at about 130W on each rail so that there would not be an issue of “trapped power”, this is why for most units with multiple 12V rails you cannot simply add the rails together to figure out the total power available from the 12V source, you must look at the total power listed for the 12V rails listed below them. On the units where the sum of the listed max currents for the 12V rails does add up to the stated limit of the 12V source the true current limits are usually set 3-5A(36-60W) higher than the label shows. With a modern power supply you are unlikely to overload any rail without using a large number of adapters and splitters to get more connectors, the manufacturer already spread the connectors across the rails so that it would be very unlikely for you to overload any single rail without trying pretty hard. "
m
l
June 22, 2012 11:43:39 PM

I was pleased the TX850 octopus had 2 each strands for molex and SATA to provide easy cabling. I was also pleased the wires were long making it easier to snake them around to the wire side.

I wonder if the defunct AK680 even had OCP?
All the reviews are hostile that I ever say.
m
l
June 22, 2012 11:58:29 PM

Is 80+ Platinum psu worth the price over an 80+ Gold? NO it is not.
m
l
June 23, 2012 12:02:21 AM

I agree that the difference right now is not worth it, but the trend I see is moving towards at least silver in the not too distant future as the minimum allowable, followed by the gold

m
l
June 23, 2012 1:54:15 AM

redeemer said:
Is 80+ Platinum psu worth the price over an 80+ Gold? NO it is not.

If you're going for silence it could be worth it.
m
l
June 23, 2012 11:38:27 AM

Get a fan controller if fan noise is at issue.

The propeller inside my TX850V2 seems to be decent model, double ball bearings should mean less noise
m
l
!