My laptop HDMI sound cuts out randomly when connected to TV!

za3smith

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I just got a new laptop last month, an Asus A6-3420M 1.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Radeon HD 6520, LED, HDMI, Webcam, Window 7 Premium.

When I plug the HDMI into the TV like I did with my old computer, the sound cuts out a lot! At random times, not set points. I have to go to the computer every time to fix this. So when I open up the "Sound" menu on my computer, it says that my HDMI connection is no longer connected, even though it is. I can only make the sound come back when I re-plug in the HDMI cord again. This sucks, and it doesn't always work, either.

Please help! I don't know what to do! I want to watch movies n' stuff!

za3smith

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Popatim, it can't be the cable. Why would the sound work perfectly with my old computer (same cable) but not any longer with my new one? Thanks though.

Chainzsaw, you talk about Catalyst...how can I find my version? I downloaded the AMD Driver Autodetect, and it said that I have the most up to date driver. If I want to download a previous driver, could you tell me how I would do that please?

popatim

Titan

Because you unplugged it and plugged it back into another pc. Its rare but sometimes a connector gets spread too loose and doesnt make good contact. Also there are different HDMI specs and maybe your new pc is looking for hdmi 1.4 and you have a 1.0 cable... or your tv firmware needs updating... no one can know for sure at this point.

A new cable would be the first thing to try in my opinion.
At least try the cable in another device.

za3smith

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Oh I see. Well I guess I can try buying a new cable. I might come back to this thread in a week or two though if it doesn't work. I would try it in another device, but I don't have another device with an HDMI output. Thanks for your help. I will get an HDMI cord.

I'm still wondering how to try an older driver, though, if Catalyst's most recent one is buggy. Does it stand to reason that they would fix the bugs soon?

Its easy to tell your driver version. Catalyst drivers go by (year)(month). Right click on your desktop and open up Catalyst Control Center.

On the top right it should say preferences open up "About Catalyst Control Center". Under version it mentions 12.0XXX.

Here's a link to 12.3 Mobility drivers - you should give them a shot to see if it will fix the issue:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/AMD/AMD-Catalyst-Mobility-Display-Driver-123-for-Vista64-Windows-7-x64.shtml

You will have to uninstall the 12.4 first then install the 12.3, it will give you an error that your driver is already up to date otherwise.

za3smith

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Thanks I will try this tomorrow

za3smith

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Okay I couldn't get to this all week because my girlfriend likes watching girly TV shows on Hulu. The videos still kept cutting out, or the audio would, or hulu would freeze, etc. Just really a wide series of issues. But I am downloading the Catalyst 12.6 Beta now. Thanks Chain. I will probably post here again in a few days once I see how it works.

Popatim, I got a new HDMI cord too. I'm also trying that out, in tandem with this.

I wonder if my computer is having compatability issues with Hulu? Perhaps the HDMI wouldn't cut out so much if I simply downloaded torrents of her TV shows for her. Does that sound possible? The HDMI and video especially crashes when Hulu goes to a commercial break.