  • Software
Last response: in Technologies
a b F Wireless
August 14, 2005 8:03:50 AM

Does anyone know of any generic Wireless Management Software for a GSM modem
that is built into a Windows laptop? I have a Sony VGN-T350P that comes
with a built in proprietary SonyEricsson GSM Modem. Unfortunately, Sony
only provides Cingular software with this laptop.

I have managed to manually set up connections to T-Mobile using AT commands.
However, this is really cumbersome. I am looking for software similar to
what SonyEricsson ships with their GSM PC Cards that will work with this
unit (unfortunately, the SonyEricsson software does not recognize the built
in modem that is part of the T350P laptop.

Thanks,
--
Mike Schumann

More about : wireless manager software gsm modem

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2005 9:37:27 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <GozLe.5344$Je.1006@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Sun, 14 Aug 2005
04:03:50 GMT, "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know of any generic Wireless Management Software for a GSM modem
>that is built into a Windows laptop? I have a Sony VGN-T350P that comes
>with a built in proprietary SonyEricsson GSM Modem. Unfortunately, Sony
>only provides Cingular software with this laptop.
>
>I have managed to manually set up connections to T-Mobile using AT commands.
>However, this is really cumbersome. I am looking for software similar to
>what SonyEricsson ships with their GSM PC Cards that will work with this
>unit (unfortunately, the SonyEricsson software does not recognize the built
>in modem that is part of the T350P laptop.

All you should need is standard Windows XP dialup networking. Install a
generic modem driver. No user AT commands should be needed.

a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 6:46:34 AM

That's what I am currently using. The only problem is that it doesn't give
me the ability to select networks, send and receive SMS messages, etc.,
which most wireless modem managers support.

Thanks,
Mike Schumann

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <GozLe.5344$Je.1006@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Sun, 14 Aug
> 2005
> 04:03:50 GMT, "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of any generic Wireless Management Software for a GSM
>>modem
>>that is built into a Windows laptop? I have a Sony VGN-T350P that comes
>>with a built in proprietary SonyEricsson GSM Modem. Unfortunately, Sony
>>only provides Cingular software with this laptop.
>>
>>I have managed to manually set up connections to T-Mobile using AT
>>commands.
>>However, this is really cumbersome. I am looking for software similar to
>>what SonyEricsson ships with their GSM PC Cards that will work with this
>>unit (unfortunately, the SonyEricsson software does not recognize the
>>built
>>in modem that is part of the T350P laptop.
>
> All you should need is standard Windows XP dialup networking. Install a
> generic modem driver. No user AT commands should be needed.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 7:47:30 AM

Microsoft SMS Sender will send messages.

Selecting networks only works if operator allows that. Cingular doesn't.

In <escMe.8267$ns.3904@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Tue, 16 Aug 2005
02:46:34 GMT, "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote:

>That's what I am currently using. The only problem is that it doesn't give
>me the ability to select networks, send and receive SMS messages, etc.,
>which most wireless modem managers support.

>> All you should need is standard Windows XP dialup networking. Install a
>> generic modem driver. No user AT commands should be needed.

a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 9:22:19 AM

Most GSM phones will let you manually select the network. Whether or not
you are an authorized user on the network you select is a separate matter.

I just downloaded MS SMS Sender. This looks like a nice little app. Now I
just need another little utility that lets me manually select my GSM
network, and I'll be in business.

Thanks,
Mike Schumann

> Microsoft SMS Sender will send messages.
>
> Selecting networks only works if operator allows that. Cingular doesn't.
>
> In <escMe.8267$ns.3904@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Tue, 16 Aug
> 2005
> 02:46:34 GMT, "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>That's what I am currently using. The only problem is that it doesn't
>>give
>>me the ability to select networks, send and receive SMS messages, etc.,
>>which most wireless modem managers support.
>
>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>
>>> All you should need is standard Windows XP dialup networking. Install a
>>> generic modem driver. No user AT commands should be needed.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2005 9:43:20 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <fKeMe.6119$RZ2.1775@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Tue, 16 Aug 2005
05:22:19 GMT, "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote:

>Most GSM phones will let you manually select the network. ...

As I wrote, selecting networks only works if operator allows that. Cingular
doesn't.

>I just downloaded MS SMS Sender. This looks like a nice little app. Now I
>just need another little utility that lets me manually select my GSM
>network, and I'll be in business.

Good luck.