Sign in with
Your question

Laptop in a desktop

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2012 3:57:28 AM

I have a pavilion dv7-3180us...with a fried mobo. I was wondering if I could use the ram and CPU with a replacement board and drop it into a desktop rig. I don't want to pay the ship 200 bucks to install a 200 dollar board into a system I paid 1k for a little over a year so. I was wondering if there is a cheap mobo I could put into a cheap case that will fit my processor ram and onboard gpu.

More about : laptop desktop

a b B Homebuilt system
March 8, 2012 5:04:03 AM

LOL, I think the idea was to NOT pay $200

Laptops and desktops use very different parts. An i7 laptop is only as fast as a mid-level i5 desktop. The chips are different, the packaging is different, the ram is different, the GPUs are different, the expansion slots are different, the form factor is proprietary... just about the only thing you CAN reuse is the HDD, and even it will need a cheap adapter try to mount in a standard case.

Personally I would call up HP, play dumb, act kindly, and request that they stand behind their product as you have been a long time customer of their company, and would hate to have to move to some else's product. If you are within a month or 2 of warranty they will generally work with you and only charge you shipping which is only $20 from most locations (unless you are overseas or something). If you really sweet talk them they may even pay for shipping... but that is unlikely.
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2012 5:10:11 AM

The HM67 or QM67 mobile chipset with G2 socket will fit.

OP will save on shipping.

To persuade HP rep, you will need:

Perk: Persuade HP rep

Requirement: Speech 100

I am not up to that level yet :D 
m
l
March 8, 2012 1:53:59 PM

The warranty expired in October. Looks like i'm giving HP 328 bucks for a refurb.
m
l
!