Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Two EVGA 570 GTX's, should I use the Step-up program?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2012 1:48:18 AM

Back towards the end of October last year, I bought an EVGA 570 GTX (012-P3-1571-AR to be exact) and two weeks later, I bought a second, completing my SLI setup. I have at the minimal, 24 days to start the Step up process on one of my cards which would be to upgrade to a 580 GTX.

The total cost would be upgrade to the 580 GTX with the difference in price would be $168.50 and two weeks downtime. If I do it for one card, I have to do it to the other to complete a new SLI setup of two 580 GTX's. Again though, that Step up process would be another $168.50, which in total would come up to $337 total, the price of another 570 GTX to upgrade to two 580's in a SLI.

I suppose my question is, what would you do in my situation? Would you spend close to $350 to get two 580's in a SLI or stick to the current two 570's? To be honest, if I had a Tri Sli board, I'd get another 570 and triple the cards together. Thanks for your time everyone.
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 2:07:19 AM

If I had the loot I wouldn't hesitate to SLI the GTX 580's. I know a lot of folks will probably chime in about waiting for Kelper or Maxwell but I don't live in the future I live in the here and now and right now there are not many GPU solutions that will best that combo.
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
Score
January 5, 2012 2:16:57 AM

I wouldn't go for sli at all. I would rather go for the fastest single graphic card, the gtx 580 3gb. I started on with 1 gtx 570, then I sli the gtx 570. And then I 3 way sli them with water cooling. The results? Gaming in surround sucks since the gtx 570 vram is limited to 1.2gb. Gaming performance wise, many games were unstable and do not make use of sli. Benchmark wise, it's off the roof, and for what? Show.

I'm currently running gtx 580 3gb, core i7 2700k, asus maximus extreme 4,corsair dominator gt, asus 27" 3d. I run everything ultra setting and everything is stable. With the 3 way sli gtx 570, I can run battlefield 3 in high setting only, vram is limited and your games will crash.

What I would recommend is use the single gtx 570 for now. Sale or return your other gtx 570. Wait for the new generation card and buy the fastest with at least 3gb vram.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 2:17:14 AM

Cronus2099 said:
Back towards the end of October last year, I bought an EVGA 570 GTX (012-P3-1571-AR to be exact) and two weeks later, I bought a second, completing my SLI setup. I have at the minimal, 24 days to start the Step up process on one of my cards which would be to upgrade to a 580 GTX.

The total cost would be upgrade to the 580 GTX with the difference in price would be $168.50 and two weeks downtime. If I do it for one card, I have to do it to the other to complete a new SLI setup of two 580 GTX's. Again though, that Step up process would be another $168.50, which in total would come up to $337 total, the price of another 570 GTX to upgrade to two 580's in a SLI.

I suppose my question is, what would you do in my situation? Would you spend close to $350 to get two 580's in a SLI or stick to the current two 570's? To be honest, if I had a Tri Sli board, I'd get another 570 and triple the cards together. Thanks for your time everyone.

The question that you need to honestly ask yourself is do you really need more power than that which two GTX 570 SLI can provide and the answer to the question is ultimately up to you're discretion.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 2:19:00 AM

luke25 said:
I wouldn't go for sli at all. I would rather go for the fastest single graphic card, the gtx 580 3gb. I started on with 1 gtx 570, then I sli the gtx 570. And then I 3 way sli them with water cooling. The results? Gaming in surround sucks since the gtx 570 vram is limited to 1.2gb. Gaming performance wise, many games were unstable and do not make use of sli. Benchmark wise, it's off the roof, and for what? Show.

I'm currently running gtx 580 3gb, core i7 2700k, asus maximus extreme 4,corsair dominator gt, asus 27" 3d. I run everything ultra setting and everything is stable. With the 3 way sli gtx 570, I can run battlefield 3 in high setting only, vram is limited and your games will crash.

What I would recommend is use the single gtx 570 for now. Sale or return your other gtx 570. Wait for the new generation card and buy the fastest with at least 3gb vram.

People are ignorant to the fact that SLI/CF offers up better image quality aside from the obvious performance benefits.
Score
January 5, 2012 4:49:28 AM

go for the SLI GTX580 3gb, it's wonderful ^_^ i have the same and i can say it can really handle any games i trow at it right now at high/ultra high setting with good fps
Score
a c 80 U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 5:13:49 AM

to sli 3 gb gtx 580s one needs two 3 gb gtx 580 cards. those are costly enough to go for something even better performing - radeon hd 7970 3gb or (possibly) radeon hd 7950 3gb cfx i.e. 2 of 79xx cards with 3 gb vram each. cfx/sli does not add vram.
however, 2x gtx 570 in sli is a very powerful combination. i'd wait till nvidia and amd's higher end, newest 28 nm cards come out, drivers worked out and then decide. imo 570 sli can easily hold out till then.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 11:30:28 AM

But at what cost? $350 now for SLI 580's vs heavens knows how much at a later unspecified dated and I do not believe that the AMD 7970 can out perform 2 GTX 580's in SLI.
Battlefield 3
DX11
Ultra mode
4xMSAAAA enabled
16x AF enabled
HBAO enabled
Level: Operation Swordbreaker
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

That's not even a 10% increase in performance over one GTX 580. Also if he goes with AMD he's have to sell his 570's. The step up program is a good alternate upgrade path for him right here, right now. You waiters are just haters. Sorry but it had to be said. Here's a song for you..........Waiters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qF_qbaWt3Q&ob=av2e
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 1:59:41 PM

tinmann said:
But at what cost? $350 now for SLI 580's vs heavens knows how much at a later unspecified dated and I do not believe that the AMD 7970 can out perform 2 GTX 580's in SLI.
Battlefield 3
DX11
Ultra mode
4xMSAAAA enabled
16x AF enabled
HBAO enabled
Level: Operation Swordbreaker
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/tinmann8/7970-2.png" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

That's not even a 10% increase in performance over one GTX 580. Also if he goes with AMD he's have to sell his 570's. The step up program is a good alternate upgrade path for him right here, right now. You waiters are just haters. Sorry but it had to be said. Here's a song for you..........Waiters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qF_qbaWt3Q&ob=av2e

OP did not ask about 7970 and 7970 CF will rape GTX580 SLI that being said OP already has GTX 570SLI he does not need anymore firepower in the graphic department for a long time LOL end of story.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 4:32:56 PM

Headspin_69 said:
OP did not ask about 7970 and 7970 CF will rape GTX580 SLI that being said OP already has GTX 570SLI he does not need anymore firepower in the graphic department for a long time LOL end of story.

When your head stops spinning maybe you will realize that he is the one that decides what he wants or needs. He must want more power or he wouldn't be considering the step up program in the first place. I merely told him I felt like it was a good option. What are you, his Father to tell him what he needs?
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 4:37:22 PM

tinmann said:
When your head stops spinning maybe you will realize that he is the one that decides what he wants or needs. He must want more power or he wouldn't be considering the step up program in the first place. I merely told him I felt like it was a good option. What are you, his Father to tell him what he needs.

He would only want more power for Epeen support however to maintain a PERFECT game play experience with maxed IQ settings etc @ 1080P dual GTX570 are all anyone needs and that is not up for debate.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 4:48:10 PM

Headspin_69 said:
He would only want more power for Epeen support however to maintain a PERFECT game play experience with maxed IQ settings etc @ 1080P dual GTX570 are all anyone needs and that is not up for debate.

How someone spends "THEIR" money is not open for debate and really none of you business. If dual GTX 570's is all anyone needs then why'd they even bother making a GTX 590? Are you saying there is no benefit in using a 590 over a 570 or SLI 570's ? What's the point then? And......there is no such thing as a perfect gaming experience.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 5:02:52 PM

tinmann said:
How someone spends "THEIR" money is not open for debate and really none of you business. If dual GTX 570's is all anyone needs then why'd they even bother making a GTX 590? Are you saying there is no benefit in using a 590 over a 570 or SLI 570's ? What's the point then? And......there is no such thing as a perfect gaming experience.

Yes the OP made it my business or we would not be here and you are outta line son and you have no bases to be making claims when the OP is asking #1 and I quote "should I use the Step-up program?" End quote. The answer to the OPs question is no he should not use the step up program if he is on 1080P res or lower and dual GTX570 GPUs like he currently is end of story. To your question the answer is yes there is no benefit to running a GTX 590 over Dual GTX 570 SLI is superior to GTX 590 and 570 SLI costs less money to boot. GTX 590 is good if you already own a MOBO that has one PCI-E x16 Lane and want to save the hassle and time and money upgrading the MOBO.
Score
January 5, 2012 6:46:51 PM

I say do it.

It's $350... I mean unless you have something better to do with the scratch, why not? Future proof yourself further. Not to mention if this next generation of GPU's really blow everything away... Well you could always upgrade your mobo and add a 3rd card.

Or conversely, use that 350 towards a motherboard that supports tri-sli... And then bam. Problem solved? =D
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 8:29:24 PM

Headspin_69 said:
Yes the OP made it my business or we would not be here and you are outta line son and you have no bases to be making claims when the OP is asking #1 and I quote "should I use the Step-up program?" End quote. The answer to the OPs question is no he should not use the step up program if he is on 1080P res or lower and dual GTX570 GPUs like he currently is end of story. To your question the answer is yes there is no benefit to running a GTX 590 over Dual GTX 570 SLI is superior to GTX 590 and 570 SLI costs less money to boot. GTX 590 is good if you already own a MOBO that has one PCI-E x16 Lane and want to save the hassle and time and money upgrading the MOBO.

No nephew, You are out of line because you assume everyone should see things through the the veil of misguided misconceptions you do. Do I detect a hint of jealousy in your rantings? I told him I thought is was a good idea and I still feel that way. Your are still here trolling because I don't see things your way. If I had the chance to step up I would, heck most would. It's called progression ...Son. So don't come off telling me how a crossfired 7970 can rape a GTX 580 when you don't own one. Your just being a parrot, repeating everything you've heard others say.
Real world math say that 2 (NEW) GTX 580's for $350 now is waaaay better than one $500+ card with a 10% increase in performance over on GTX 580 and that's not yet released. And if they are Evga cards that carry a lifetime warranty ......Even better. Even if the Crossfire 7970's out perform SLI GTX 580's look at the $700.00 price difference. I don't know about you Cousin but for me that's a deal breaker
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 8:35:49 PM

tinmann said:
No nephew, You are out of line because you assume everyone should see things through the the veil of misguided misconceptions you do. Do I detect a hint of jealousy in your rantings? I told him I thought is was a good idea and I still feel that way. Your are still here trolling because I don't see things your way. If I had the chance to step up I would, heck most would. It's called progression ...Son. So don't come off telling me how a crossfired 7970 can rape a GTX 580 when you don't own one. Your just being a parrot, repeating everything you've heard others say.
Real world math say that 2 (NEW) GTX 580's for $350 now is waaaay better than one $500+ card with a 10% increase in performance over on GTX 580 and that's not yet released. And if they are Evga cards that carry a lifetime warranty ......Even better. Even if the Crossfire 7970's out perform SLI GTX 580's look at the $700.00 price difference. I don't know about you Cousin but for me that's a deal breaker

LOL its too bad that the GTX 580 is still priced at over $500
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 8:40:18 PM

Not on "the step up program".
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 8:43:23 PM

tinmann said:
Not on "the step up program".

The point is he already paid full price for and has the GTX 570s and so he still has to pay full price for the GTX 580s he is not getting a special deal on them he still has to pay 100% of the difference to step up to the GTX580.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 8:54:18 PM

He said he has to pay 168.50 per card X2=$337.00 He rounded it of at $350. That's really not a bad deal in my opinion. If I could step up my GTX 480's to 580's for under $500 I'd be tempted to do it too and for under $400 it would be like buy one get one free night at Wally World.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 8:55:37 PM

tinmann said:
He said he has to pay 168.50 per card X2=$337.00 He rounded it of at $350. That's really not a bad deal in my opinion. If I could step up my GTX 480's to 580's for under $500 I'd be tempted to do it too and for under $400 it would be like buy one get one free night at Wally World.

He has to pay the difference at retail price
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 9:04:47 PM

Headspin_69 said:
He has to pay the difference at retail price

Do the math and check how much he'd have to pay any other upgrade.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 9:32:43 PM

Sunius said:
Do the math and check how much he'd have to pay any other upgrade.

You are not factoring the cost of the GTX570s did he not pay for them prior so he would be able to take advantage to the EVGA step up program to GTX 580s his only option as an upgrade path from GTX 570 SLI ? any other upgrade he would not be getting EVGA step up program which means he wold be stuck with GTX 570s that he already paid for or he would have to take a loss and sell them. OP is not going to be getting a deal he has to cover the cost of the GTX 580s 100% retail price and any other upgrade would be as much but probably cheaper because GTX 580s are over priced. OP is stuck his only upgrade path available to him is GTX 580s and being he already had 570s SLI its not worth the price.
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 9:55:55 PM

Headspin, so what are you suggesting? His BEST choice is to get GTX 580s, and I don't understand what you're mumbling about because it's the fastest dual GPU solution combo in the world. Even if he could upgrade to anything else, GTX 580s are the only upgrade that's faster than GTX 570s..

Seriously, you should drop that jerk attitude, and start advicing, or get out of this forum.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 10:11:07 PM

Sunius said:
Headspin, so what are you suggesting? His BEST choice is to get GTX 580s, and I don't understand what you're mumbling about because it's the fastest dual GPU solution combo in the world. Even if he could upgrade to anything else, GTX 580s are the only upgrade that's faster than GTX 570s..

Seriously, you should drop that jerk attitude, and start advicing, or get out of this forum.

I gave my advice to OP then you started this GTX 580 thing you stated that a two GTX 580s cost $350 not me I said the upgrade is not worth it when OP has already all the power needed for perfect gameplay with his GTX 570 SLI.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 10:15:27 PM

Headspin_69 said:
I gave my advice to OP then you started this GTX 580 thing you stated that a two GTX 580s cost $350 not me I said the upgrade is not worth it when OP has already all the power needed for perfect gameplay with his GTX 570 SLI.

And then you argue with anyone who says anything different, this is why you get stomped on so stop with the bickering and move on.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 10:44:00 PM

Mousemonkey said:
And then you argue with anyone who says anything different, this is why you get stomped on so stop with the bickering and move on.

I also have lots and lots of my posts selected as Best Answer by many different OPs so I am generally on track until some people derail me.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 10:54:15 PM

Headspin_69 said:
I also have lots and lots of my posts selected as Best Answer by many different OPs so I am generally on track until some people derail me.

I don't care, all I'm seeing is you arguing with anyone and everyone who doesn't share your blinkered view of the world. So put down the mouse and step away from the keyboard.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 11:08:19 PM

Headspin_69 said:
People are ignorant to the fact that SLI/CF offers up better image quality aside from the obvious performance benefits.

Please explain. I'm not disagreeing I've just never heard that before. I recently swapped rigs between my desktop and home theater, one being a single GTX 460 and the other SLI 465s and it did look different to me, but I just assumed I was crazy. So how does SLI enhance image quality?
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2012 11:13:44 PM

benski said:
Please explain. I'm not disagreeing I've just never heard that before. I recently swapped rigs between my desktop and home theater, one being a single GTX 460 and the other SLI 465s and it did look different to me, but I just assumed I was crazy. So how does SLI enhance image quality?

Well it's pretty complicated and unfortunately every time I post I get persecuted so my apologizes but I think it's best I don't answer you.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 1:21:34 AM

Weak.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 1:28:03 AM

benski said:
Weak.

You can thank your truly Mod X
Score
January 16, 2012 9:33:24 AM