Less Performance than Expected

konatals

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Overtime I've been trading out parts in my system to get it to where it is now, but it doesn't seem to have as much oomph as I really think it should...

I know my video drivers are up to date, and it could be that I'm overestimating some of my components.

Mobo: MSI P43-C51
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e7400 OC'd to 3.5 GHz
RAM: 6GB DDR3 @ 1333
GFX: Galaxy GTX 560 2GB
PSU: 650w

(The only disc I had when my computer went under due to my own stupidity, was the dev preview. That's the only reason I'm running a beta OS as my main.)

Even on Windows 7 I had less performance than I'd like. For example, in Team Fortress 2, I get anywhere from 100+ to around 30-40 fps as I move between battle and calm. However if I toggle on the weather effects, my performance is immediately crippled and drops to around 15-20 fps. In Skyrim, I average only around 30-40 at the most.

Overall these are scores I suppose I should be happy with, but it seems like I'm not getting everything I could out of my machine.

netops07

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
The performance you are getting is actually in line with what I would expect. Sadly the cpu and mobo are dated and you would see quite an improvement with a budget board and an i3 2100. Not the answer you would like I am sure, but sometimes you just can't overcome improved design and efficiency of a newer architecture.

konatals

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

That was one of the responses I kinda expected... Thanks for the quick response though. If I moved up to, say, a Q9400, would I notice much of a difference, or would I really need to move to the 2nd Gen Intel processors (like the i3 2100 you mentioned) to get a noticeable difference in games?

Also I was wondering what kind of motherboard I'd want to be looking at with the i3 2100.

the video card you have i would think should be fine for tf2 as that isnt a brand new game correct? i know my gtx570 can run ultra on pretty much any game even crysis at 1080p while maintaining decent framerates.

an i3 and a new board would definitely improvment overall performance over your old setup but i'm not sure what the bottleneck is with your fps.