Is the i3-2120 compatible with USB 3.0 ?

ClownWalker

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hey guys! I just bought the i3-2120 cpu from intel for my first build and the shopkeeper told me the USB 3.0 wouldn't work with the CPU because 3.0 only works with processors of the third generation of Intel's CPUs. Wich mean all the Core i3 wouldn't work with USB 3.0.
I'm still unsure about that and since I bought a USB 3.0 Case, Mobo and External HDD, it'd be nice if everything would work at full speed with my i3 CPU !

So what do you guys think? Can the i3-2120 be compatible with the USB 3.0 Technology?

Mobo : GigaByte GA-H77-DS3H

Thank you for your time!

Solution
USB 3.0 is totally dependent on the mobo, not the CPU. With that mobo, you're golden. No worries, you're good to go. :)

The "shopkeeper" was probably getting USB 3.0 confused with PCIe 3.0. The i3 can't do PCIe 3.0 because that's a CPU AND mobo level thing.

It's a good thing you came here. Some guys that work in computer shops don't really know as much as they'd like to think they do, lol.
USB 3.0 is totally dependent on the mobo, not the CPU. With that mobo, you're golden. No worries, you're good to go. :)

The "shopkeeper" was probably getting USB 3.0 confused with PCIe 3.0. The i3 can't do PCIe 3.0 because that's a CPU AND mobo level thing.

It's a good thing you came here. Some guys that work in computer shops don't really know as much as they'd like to think they do, lol.

Solution

ClownWalker

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Well thank you for clearing that up!
And even if my motherboard supports 3.0, it can still run my 2.0 pci-e gpu in coop with my cpu, right?