Sign in with
Your question

Finalizing this build (big question mark is the case)

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2012 11:19:59 AM

I need a few components to wrap up a 2nd system.

I already have:
Sapphire 6590 unlocked to 6970
OCZ 700w PSU
ASUS VW266H 1920x1200 25.5” LCD Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Optical Drive

To wrap it up, I’m looking to get the following:

CPU: Intel i5-2500k
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Memory: Muskin 8GB (2 x 4GB) CAS 7 1600
Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 500GB (basically the cheapest one I can find till prices come down)

So whatcha think of that, and then my main question is on the case. I have a couple of ideas, but I’ll withhold those until I hear your opinions. I will say the case is where I’m looking to save the most money. I’d be happy to take the cheapest case there is and my only requirement is that it comes with adequate fans pre-installed, and a front audio/usb port. And that it can fit that insane cooler and the 6950 of course! Ideas?
March 8, 2012 12:10:10 PM

Look at the mid-range ($50-$80) Rosewill cases. They all come with at least front and rear fans (usually top too), have the connectors you want, and are otherwise fairly solid despite their relatively low cost.
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2012 12:15:13 PM

@alvine - Both those are more than I wanted to spend on the case. If I was going to spend ~ $70, I'd be thinking about the COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black

@jtt283 - yeah, had given some thought to the Rosewill Destroyer, but wasn't sure if it would fit the Noctua NH-D14, and I wouldn't mind going even cheaper!
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:30:46 PM

Anyone have any cheaper options, or know of the NH-D14 would fit in the Rosewill Destroyer? Thanks
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:46:45 PM

I personally use the Antec 300 Illusion. I absolutely love the case. Great airflow, lots of room, very sturdy, quality built. I would highly reccommend the case.
m
l
March 9, 2012 1:00:50 PM

moogleslam said:
I need a few components to wrap up a 2nd system.

I already have:
Sapphire 6590 unlocked to 6970
OCZ 700w PSU
ASUS VW266H 1920x1200 25.5” LCD Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Optical Drive

To wrap it up, I’m looking to get the following:

CPU: Intel i5-2500k
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Memory: Muskin 8GB (2 x 4GB) CAS 7 1600
Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 500GB (basically the cheapest one I can find till prices come down)

So whatcha think of that, and then my main question is on the case. I have a couple of ideas, but I’ll withhold those until I hear your opinions. I will say the case is where I’m looking to save the most money. I’d be happy to take the cheapest case there is and my only requirement is that it comes with adequate fans pre-installed, and a front audio/usb port. And that it can fit that insane cooler and the 6950 of course! Ideas?

Did you know that the PC case is the most lasting piece of a desktop PC? If were you I will choose a decent Full ATX case with 5-6 fans. You can upgrade all the basic parts of your system in the future(3-4 years) but the Case is still there waiting for more components to accomodate. For best air flow and space for futute upgrades I'd say Cooler Master HAF 932, HAF X or the CM Cosmos II. Good amount of airflow is neccessary for a stable PC temperature, specially if you plan to overclock the CPU.
m
l
March 10, 2012 4:12:11 AM

I sure like my coolermaster HAF 912
m
l
March 16, 2012 11:59:14 PM

aqe040466 said:
Did you know that the PC case is the most lasting piece of a desktop PC? If were you I will choose a decent Full ATX case with 5-6 fans. You can upgrade all the basic parts of your system in the future(3-4 years) but the Case is still there waiting for more components to accomodate. For best air flow and space for futute upgrades I'd say Cooler Master HAF 932, HAF X or the CM Cosmos II. Good amount of airflow is neccessary for a stable PC temperature, specially if you plan to overclock the CPU.

Yeah, if I had the money to spare, I'd get another one of what's in my signature (Raven 2) or a Fortress 2, but I'm trying to save money this time, and despite what I just said, size should probably be my 2nd priority (or i'll get yelled at for something else sticking out from under the desk)
m
l
!