Sign in with
Your question

LCD Monitor: Gaming Windowed vs Full Screen?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2012 2:57:02 AM

Hello, so I have a low-end HD4200 for gaming, which runs most of the old games I play (FS2004, Need for Speed, CSS, etc) at playable settings on 1024x768. However, my LCD's monitor's resolution is 1680x1050. As a result, I was wondering whether I should be gaming in windowed or full screen mode for best visual appeal and most importantly, performance. I cannot upgrade my video card because of the power supply, and feel no need to, but I was just wondering. For example, in FS2004, I get a 5FPS drop when in fullscreen compared to windowed. Now, I disable Aero when I game, so the GPU will not have to render the desktop too when I game in windowed mode. I've gamed in fullscreen from 2005-2009, but recently switched to windowed the past two years because of crisper quality and seemly slightly better fps. So, what do you think. In terms of PERFORMANCE (which, in my situation, is the most important, even 1-2 fps more), should I game in windows or full screen mode, if my native resolution is 1680x1050 and I game at 1024x768 or lower?) Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 5, 2012 3:19:05 AM

I think it's just a matter of preference. You'll undoubtedly get better fps at a lower resolution, but remember that the goal of this is for the overall experience to be good. This is the whole look of the game, not just the fps numbers. Pick whatever feels best to you after experimenting a little. Neither is definitively better.
m
l
a c 190 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 5, 2012 5:08:59 AM

You can get software that will tell you your fps. I have found some games get better fps in windowed and others in full screen. I believe it had to do with the dx version the game was running.
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2012 2:54:23 PM

So would you guys suggest 1024x768 over 800x600 (1024x768 is the highest i can go) and give up some fps for a better overall perfoarmance?
m
l
January 5, 2012 3:00:06 PM

again thats totally up to you, you can run higher resolution at lower detail or lower resolution with higher details. I guess i would probably go with the higher resolution and lower resolution if i had to choose.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 5, 2012 6:05:52 PM

jgutz2006 said:
I guess i would probably go with the higher resolution and lower resolution if i had to choose.

I'd probably pick the higher resolution, personally, but not if it's going to get you 15fps.
m
l
January 5, 2012 8:09:45 PM

jgutz2006 said:
again thats totally up to you, you can run higher resolution at lower detail or lower resolution with higher details. I guess i would probably go with the higher resolution and lower resolution if i had to choose.

Do you mean a higher resolution and lowered detiails, because it seems to be a typo.

To the poster above, +1....I guess I will game at higher resolutions with lowered settings....I should start a poll.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 5, 2012 10:11:16 PM

Everyone will have their opinions, but none of us knows what it's like to play on your computer. Just try both and see which feels nicer.
m
l
!