Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel Stock Cooler vs. Aftermarket HS/Airflow?

Last response: in Components
June 23, 2012 2:48:02 AM

I have a i5-2500k @stock speeds with turbo mode enabled on a stock cooler.

Temperatures:

Winter;
-30C Idle
-~65C Load

Summer(Currently);
-40C Idle
-~70C Load

Now these are on a stock cooler, surprisingly their amazing temperatures, now I'm very curious will a H100, CM Hyper212+/EVO, or similar after market heat sink will even further lower these temperatures? I'm not looking for a huge decrease but a reasonable one of about 5C-10C difference? Maybe more?

My case is a HAF 922 with the stock fans. 200mm intake(front), 200mm exhaust(top) and a 140mm exhaust(back). So I have negative airflow. I don't have a lot of dust in my case as I vacuum once every other week, sometimes once a month. I was thinking of buying a H100 cooler as then I can take the top exhaust fan and mount it on the side as an intake and then mount the H100 on the top and do a push configuration.

Will I notice a noticeable difference in temperatures? Thanks for any insight information and/or suggestions.

Rest of my system specs if curious;

Mainboard : Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Physical Memory : 16384MB (4 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM, 1600MHz)
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti(2gb VRAM)
Hard Disk(OS Install) : OCZ-VERTEX SATA2 Device (256GB)
Hard Disk(Storage) : Samsung SATA2 (1000GB)
Hard Disk(FRAPS) : Samsung SATA2 (250GB)
Monitor Type : ViewSonic 19 inches(1440x900)
Operating System : Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
Power Supply : Corsair 700w
June 23, 2012 3:18:24 AM

Most aftermarket coolers worth buying perform 10-15C better than the stock HSF and that includes the 212 EVO, so that would be in your "maybe more" and "noticeable temperature difference" range.
m
l
June 23, 2012 3:19:45 AM

Those are pretty terrible temperatures. Sorry to burst that bubble. Any aftermarket cooler would lower your temps by at least 15C, I'd say, and probably more, especially in the summer.
If you're interested in saving money, and you should be, brag a $35 Hyper 212 EVO. If you're not, go for the H100.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 23, 2012 3:25:04 AM

For normal browsing work, emails, word processing, etc., you will not see much of a temp drop even with the after-market heatsink.

However, when you are gaming, overclocking, multi-tasking, video editing, photoshop, autocad, etc., you will definitely need an after-market heatsink, and you will notice much lower temps as compared to the stock heatsink. In fact, the stock heatsink may not be adequate in such cases.

The HAF 922 is a great case!
June 23, 2012 3:55:34 AM

kajabla said:
Those are pretty terrible temperatures. Sorry to burst that bubble. Any aftermarket cooler would lower your temps by at least 15C, I'd say, and probably more, especially in the summer.
If you're interested in saving money, and you should be, brag a $35 Hyper 212 EVO. If you're not, go for the H100.

How rude, I've seen people with 30C idle temps WITH a Hyper 212 EVO. I achieve that with the STOCK HS/F. Yeah my load temps are terrible but they are more than practical.

Ubrales said:
For normal browsing work, emails, word processing, etc., you will not see much of a temp drop even with the after-market heatsink.

However, when you are gaming, overclocking, multi-tasking, video editing, photoshop, autocad, etc., you will definitely need an after-market heatsink, and you will notice much lower temps as compared to the stock heatsink. In fact, the stock heatsink may not be adequate in such cases.

The HAF 922 is a great case!

I actually hate the HAF 922; no USB 3.0 headers, no grommeted cable routing, hard drive bays are a complete pain, 5.25" bays are good but could easily be better and it's a silver painted inside. I bought it simply because I needed a cheap case, now I'm mad that I didn't buy a Corsair.

OT: So my load and idle temps will both decreases, more for load temps but idle is less then? Hell, if I knew for sure that the H100 would bring down my CPU to the 20C range for idling and around the 50C at load I'd buy it right now :p  but I don't want to take the chance of getting only ~10C difference.
m
l
June 23, 2012 4:02:36 AM

Well, you'll never get below ambient with any normal cooler, (water or not), so I'd stop setting your goals so high. It can be done, but not with conventional means.

You never said what your ambient temp is, but based on your temps, I'd say ~26-27C. You may be able to get near that with a H100, Noctua NH-D14, or a custom water loop (a few degrees above), but you'll NEVER go below it.

m
l
June 23, 2012 4:04:05 AM

20 degs C idling? Don't expect that.

Idle temps will be 10 to 15 degrees (C) higher than ambient temps.

Regarding cases; mine is an HAF 932, and my next case will be the HAF-X (at this point).
m
l
June 23, 2012 4:10:22 AM

Ubrales said:

It can be lower than that. As an example, my ambient ATM is 25C, and I'm idling at 30C. That's with a 212 Evo, of course (in push/pull, but that makes no difference at idle)
m
l
June 23, 2012 4:14:21 AM

Sorry if I came off as rude. Idle temps aren't important, though.
m
l
June 23, 2012 4:14:58 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
It can be lower than that. As an example, my ambient ATM is 25C, and I'm idling at 30C. That's with a 212 Evo, of course (in push/pull, but that makes no difference at idle)

I'm impressed!

I can achieve this only on one Dell Workstation; not on my home built or other desktops.
m
l
June 23, 2012 4:18:46 AM

Ubrales said:
I'm impressed!

I can achieve this only on one Dell Workstation; not on my home built or other desktops.

Thanks! It's not so pretty when I enable High Performance with my OC, though, lol. Mid to high 30's then...
m
l
June 23, 2012 4:23:41 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Thanks! It's not so pretty when I enable High Performance with my OC, though, lol. Mid to high 30's then...

I forgot to mention that my i7-920 is OCed to 3.82 GHz (42% OC).
m
l
June 23, 2012 5:23:55 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well, you'll never get below ambient with any normal cooler, (water or not), so I'd stop setting your goals so high. It can be done, but not with conventional means.

You never said what your ambient temp is, but based on your temps, I'd say ~26-27C. You may be able to get near that with a H100, Noctua NH-D14, or a custom water loop (a few degrees above), but you'll NEVER go below it.

I actually have no air conditioning in my house(air conditioner failed) so I'm cooling my room with a ceiling fan and the breeze from the hot outside of California. So it's hard to say what my temps are in my room, right now I'm borderline sweating but my PC is now going down to the 30C idle temps since it's night now so I can't really tell the ambient room temps. Also thanks for the suggestion and I'll definitely keep those tips in mind.

Ubrales said:
20 degs C idling? Don't expect that.

Regarding cases; mine is an HAF 932, and my next case will be the HAF-X (at this point).

My next case will be a Corsair from the Vengeance series :D 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I just like to have things cool and simple. 20C idle will be amazing(never thought I'll get it, never will) but just my ideal temp. But to have 50C load temp is a must for me, 55C max. If I am going to get a H100 I'll probably get some red LED fans and do a push/pull setup so I can match the red look of the HAF 922.
m
l
June 23, 2012 4:43:04 PM

Are you using RealTemp to check the temps? If so, set TJ Max to 98 degs C and verify temps.
m
l
July 3, 2012 1:46:55 AM

atm I have an amd processor but at up to with stock cooler i idle at ambient temperature and under full load it never gets above about 50.. i have pretty good airflow, also i have a processor with a locked core but it seems amd idles better with stock but dont rage at me for having amd i have an i5-2500k on my desk with a hyper 212 plus heatsink but my motherboard was doa so i cant use it atm but those temps seem decent from what ive heard about the stock intel heatsink.. i was going to post a link of cpu heatsink comparisons but i cant seem to find the one i was looking for now.. but there is one on toms hardware
m
l
September 13, 2012 4:00:43 AM

Best answer selected by echondo.
m
l
September 13, 2012 5:00:37 AM

Thank you!
m
l
!