How Do I Find A CPU Cooler That Will Fit?

eljay69

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012
Hi all,

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Intel DZ77GA70K ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: 2 x Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Other: Pioneer Black 12X BD-R Internal BD/DVD/CD Writer BDR-207DBKS

NOTE: I plan to gently OC - as high as I can go with the default voltage.

How can I find an air CPU cooler that will definitely fit my configuration without compromising the quality of the cooler (i.e. using only one fan when two should be used)?

They all seem so big that they bump into the first memory slot and I need all four slots.

Can anyone with the DZ77GA-70K and Corsair Dominator DIMMs tell me what they're using that fits and works well?

Thanx

- eljay

if you want to use all four slots buy sticks with low profile heatspreaders. they don't do anything anyway they are just for show.

if this is for gaming there is no point to more than 8GB. 16GB is beyond future proof. 32GB is pretty much wasting money, as unless you have a specific application in mind (e.g. running a bunch of VMs) its just not going to be used.

eljay69

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012
Thanx for the suggestions, but I'm looking for an air cooler for the MB and memory on my list. At this point I'm not really planning to change any of the specs. I just need a cooler that I know will fit.

Thanx

- eljay

eljay69

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012
No sorrys needed. I think it's just great that people take the time to offer their knowledge and experience to new builders like me. I've learned a great many things over the past couple of weeks because of people like you. So really, thank you.

I do have to say though that I've had plenty of discussions about the components I've selected and those discussions have been concluded, so I won't be changing memory. I just need the cooler.

And I've been looking at the EVO almost since the beginning. The problem is that no matter what I read or what videos I see, the thing just looks too big and won't fit in my setup. And I'm not really willing to buy it just in the hopes it will fit and then have to send it back. Shame too because it's often mentioned as a very good cooler.

Any other thoughts?

Thanx

- eljay

G

i am sorry i really don't know an air solution that is high enough to go over those ram sticks. someone may come along . .

now those DIMMs do look close but if you turn the heatsink 90 degrees clockwise and have the fan blowing up since you have a top exhaust fan.

that all i got. wish you well.