Sign in with
Your question

New build

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2012 12:17:05 PM

Hey everyone brand new user, i have used Tom's Hardware for tons of reasons over the last little while, so i figured i would join up :) 

I also wanted to share, and get some thoughts from everyone on my new pc i just bought, first ever build of my own. lol sad i have built a couple computers for family, and friends but never for myself.

so here are the specs:

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

Cpu: Intel core i7 2600k

Psu: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 1000W fully modular

HDD: 1TB WD caviar Black. "with my next paycheck i hope to have enough for a SSD any suggestions on which one i should get?"

GPU: powercolor Amd radeon 7950 3GB

Ram: 8GB 2x4GB G. Skill Ripjaws ddr3 1600

standard sony 24x dvd drive

monitor: Asus VH238H 23" 1920x1080

Heat Sink: Thermaltake Frio

Case: Corsair graphite series 600T

I am an Amd user....or was. hopefully jumping to the winning side of the gaming battle was the right choice. Any thoughts on fututre upgrades or general what i could have done better's would be appreciated. Thanks all.

More about : build

March 8, 2012 12:34:31 PM

From your last statement, this is for a gaming machine? It would help if we knew what your budget was, but going on what you've put down so far:

Mobo: Fine.

CPU: Not necessary for gaming. Unless you also do highly-threaded tasks such as video-editing, drop down to the i5-2500K.

PSU: A bit excessive for a single GPU setup...if you plan on multi-GPU later a good 750W supply will do you, 850W tops. CM aren't the best brand, tbh...Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Be Quiet!, Enermax aor Silverstone are good.

HDD: Find. SSDs...depends. The Corsair ones are good, as are the OCZ ones. There's also Samsung, Intel, Patriot etc...best bet is to come back later when you're looking at getting one.

GPU: Fine.

RAM: Fine.

DVD: Fine.

Monitor: Make sure you get a good monitor, not a cheap one. Some of the cheaper TN-based displays are pretty poor; I tend to spend about £200 on a display to make sure it's of decent quality. You could also look at IPS-based displays...the entry-level ones fit into the £200 mark.

Case: Lovely!

The general consensus right now is that Intel have the best gaming CPUs at any price point...they are a bit pricier, but AMD doesn't have an alternative with equivalent power which justifies building a system around them right now. It's not a good thing!
m
l
March 8, 2012 12:47:49 PM

Thanks for the tips :)  and yes it is primarily for gaming, but i have already bought it i was just looking for tips for if i need to get something new later. Thinking about it I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this type of forum??

I went with the 2600K just in case, i was originally going to buy the fx 8150 so 30 dollars more wasn't to bad.

For the psu i was a little worried about cm, but my friend has it and loves it, i also read an article on johnny guru's sight about it. and for the reason behind the 1000w i do plan to get another 7950, plus overclocking so i left me some good head room for all my needs ;) 

The monitor was 175$ specs looked good, but they only tell half the story. if it isnt that great, i will look to sell it, and go in store to look at monitors so i can see the quality myself.

Again thanks for the thoughts and tips :)  and sorry if this is the wrong place to post an already built pc thread.

m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2012 1:09:35 PM

No probs...I missed that you said you'd already bought it. Enjoy the new build. :) 
m
l
March 8, 2012 1:11:46 PM

will do. thanks again for the tips
m
l
!