Computer Shutting Down Randomly

Crimson0121

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I have an HP Pavilion M9400f that started shutting down randomly today. I play games like League of Legends and usually have Steam, Firefox, and LoL open without much or any lag. However, a few weeks ago games started running slowly and dropping frames so I uninstalled some unneeded programs, defragged the hard drive, ran a full virus scan (Norton Antivirus), and installed the latest graphics drivers. However, since I've updated the graphics drivers I've been experiencing some problems with graphical distortions and such in games. Here's one example: http://i.imgur.com/A05FF.jpg

I completely uninstalled all graphics drivers on my computer, restarted, and downloaded the latest drivers again, but the same thing happened. I selected the correct options (64 bit windows, 3600 series, hd radeon, etc) and the program apparently checked my computer and installed the correct drivers based on that, yet it didn't actually fix the problem.

Today, roughly a week later my computer has started shutting off randomly. I opened up my computer after the first attempt and checked if anything was loose and everything seemed in place and fine. However I did notice the graphics card was very very hot so I downloaded CPUID Hardware Monitor and looked up the topic online. From what I've seen 100 degrees Celsius and higher is pretty hot for a graphics card. Here's the screen shot, only running firefox and the hardware monitor.

http://i.imgur.com/ktI1V.jpg

Also, I did open my computer once today before it started shutting off because I was planning on getting a new graphics card and I wanted to make sure it had enough space for it. I'm getting a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6870 and Corsair Professional Series 650-WATT CMPSU-650HX (need at least 500 watts to power the graphics card), yet these problems have me wondering if I knocked anything loose.

I have an avermedia hd dvr pci-e installed in my computer above the graphics card in the next pci-e slot and it's right above the fan attached to the card. There's space in-between and I've been running it like this for over 2 years without any problems but I thought I should mention that.

When I was checking for space and originally opened the computer case all I touched was the avermedia hd dvr (removing it and eventually realizing I didn't have a cover for the pci-e slot so just putting it back in). The second time I opened my computer case was to check if anything was loose and everything looked fine. I removed the graphics card and put it back in place, making sure it's fine but it's still burning hot and doesn't seem to have made a difference.

If anyone has any ideas to help please let me know. Thanks!

Augie500

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

From what I am reading here I think of some of the problems I had in the past with Overclocking. From looking at the voltage, are you Overclocking? Are you getting artifacts from the video screen that could be coming from the video card, there is a possibility that your card had overheated in the passed and you could of fried some circuits, even though its running cool now, there could be some permanent damage done there. I would check your system BIOS and change all settings to default, and see if your still getting shutdowns. If your still getting shutdowns, go to Frys and get a cheap video card for 20 bucks and test it out to see if indeed if its the video card, if so, return the video card and use the store credit from that purchase the video card you really want. Another suggestion, remove Norton and try to remove it completely, the best antivirus is the free ones, go with either Comodo or AVG. Good luck.

Crimson0121

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
There are no permanent artifacts just distortions of what already exists on the screen in games. For example, on Starcraft 2, portions of the map are shown as small black triangles. There's a raised area on one map with a lamp on top of it, and a black triangle below the lamp and you can see through it and see the lamp going farther down, beyond the ground.

Also, these graphical distortions started as soon as I updated my drivers so I'd assume it has to do with that and not my graphics card being fried in some way, since the distortions started a week ago and the shutdowns started today. However, that being said I guess it's still possible so I will try your suggestions.

As far as I know the only overclocking going on for my computer is through AMD VISION Engine Control Center, and was set on default because I've never messed around with overclocking before. Here's a screenshot of it:

http://i.imgur.com/AVII4.jpg

Crimson0121

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Reset system BIOS to default and graphics card still seems to be running at a high temp. I'd have to run a few programs at once to test if it fixed anything but I don't know if recreating the problem or situation that it shuts off at would be a good idea.

I had a laptop once that had it's battery lock break so the battery kept falling out if I moved it and didn't hold it completely in place, eventually causing the hard drive to fry. I don't know if this is also possible with this situation but I don't want to risk it so please let me know.

Crimson0121

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Problem solved. Just used a can of compressed air to get the dust out of all the fans, including the one on the graphics card, and heatsink. GPU temp went from 98 degrees Celsius on average to 65 degrees. Never thought that much of a difference could be attributed to dust but you learn new things every day.