Thomas_89

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hi guys,

I nearly completed my next build and initially I chose a Corsair TX650 v2 PSU. However, after some reading I came across some user experiences that this PSU is rather loud so I looked further and decided on the Antec HCG 620 which I read is supposed to be very silent.
Can anyone confirm what I read about these Corsair and Antec PSU's? I am also open to other suggestions, within that price range, of course.

Thank you very much!

Thomas_89

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Ok thank you I think I'm gonna go with the Antec :) It's gonna be the non modular version though, since it's on sale at a local retailer. I suppose it's the same OEM as in the PSU you linked. And I'll need most of the cables anyway.

The 520W version had it's fan speed measured varying between 600 and 1800RPM.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/psu-400w-520w_10.html#sect0

Corsair stated that the noise varies between 25-42dBA. 25dBA would be an okay figure on load, but not on idle. So yes it seems like the Antec would be the better choice of the two if you want a quiet unit, if only because it is quieter in idle.

However this is even better:
Rosewill Capstone 650W 80Plus Gold $100 (15% off promo code)
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-capstone650
It uses a Globe Fan RL4Z B1402512M, 0.30A, which has a maximum speed of 1200RPM, but idles/spends most of it's time around 700RPM.
Also has the advantages of higher efficiency and a pretty modern internal design, more so than the Seasonic S12II/M12II platform (HCG), possibly the SS-xxxAT (TX650 V2) platform as well.

Thomas_89

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Good to hear, as far as I know SeaSonic (based) PSU's are among the most reliable units so that backs up my confidence to make a good purchase.
I will share my findings on its noise profile later.

No they aren't. The HCG uses the Seasonic S12II Bronze platform, which is group regulated while the Corsair TXV2 series uses the SS-xxxAT platform, which has indy regulation/DC-DC converters for the minor rails.