Sign in with
Your question

Dual monitors using hdmi + dvi ports

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2012 8:53:57 AM

Hi, i'm using an amd radeon 6950 which has 2x dvi and 2x hdmi outputs on it
and 2 monitors
usually i use these monitors in dualscreen with the DVI connectors, however i've ordered a third screen to use also, and since i dont have 3x DVI outputs, i have to plug one into hdmi, so i thought i would do it now, however when i try to use dualscreen mode like this, it doesnt let me, if i try to enable 2nd monitor in windows resolution thing, it says something like "unable to change settings" and when i try to do it in catalyst it says something like "this operation cannot be supported based on current display configurations"

any help?
January 5, 2012 9:19:09 AM

You have to enable eyefinity for 3 screens
m
l
January 5, 2012 11:58:05 AM

i'm not using 3 screens...
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2012 12:15:24 PM

2 screen is the same... Just that eyefinity support 3 in total...
m
l
January 5, 2012 2:41:16 PM

but i've been using dualscreens with this card for over 6 months without eyefinity -_-, how does this help me?
m
l
January 5, 2012 2:54:49 PM

so, you are trying to connect one monitor using DVI and one using HDMI? Can you go back to how you had it before, just using 2 DVI?

You should not have mentioned 3 screens if you do not plan on using 3 at the same time... your just confusing people.
m
l
January 5, 2012 3:39:06 PM

wow, i clearly said that in the future i would be using 3 screens, currently i'm not, i'm using a dvi and a hdmi cable, i said that i would be in the future so people wouldn't just say "plug it into the other DVI port"
currently, i'm only using 2, and if i want to use 3, i have to make sure these two atleast work with one in HDMI port..
m
l
January 5, 2012 3:45:52 PM

no, you are wrong.... in order to use 3 you need to use DVI-DVI-DP(Display Port w/ an Active Adapter) or DVI-HDMI-DP...... you can't do it with DVI-DVI-HDMI... get that in your head before you buy a 3rd monitor.

so the question remains... what are you having a problem with... can you use 2 on DVI without issues, or does your issue ONLY occur when using DVI and HDMI... did this issue start when you tried using DVI-HDMI...?

m
l
January 5, 2012 3:55:02 PM

well, for some reason, when i plugged the hdmi cable into the other port on my card, i was able to use dualscreen again, which is weird because with the other port i was still able to use either single monitor so it was clearly worked.
and yeah, i did it without eyefinity
m
l
January 5, 2012 4:02:46 PM

well either your card is setup to use one hdmi as a dual enabled port and the other as strictly single(unlikely).... or the hdmi port is bad; just cause it can be used on a single connection doesn't mean it works 100%... could also be a setting issue, do you have the latest drivers?

m
l
January 5, 2012 4:28:07 PM

Well i'd assume so, a window comes up every so often with catalyst updates
m
l
July 5, 2012 1:46:21 AM

Hi there, maybe you are the right one to help me.... having similar issue here...i have nvidia geforce GT 430, which has DVI, HDMI, VGA connectors...wel when I tried to connect to monitors, one HDMI>>HDMI and the second DVI>>HDMI it just doesnt work..that one connected DVI>>HDMI stops wokring...on the other side combination with VGA works...but there is some kind of interference when connected with VGA....any idea?????
m
l
May 11, 2013 8:43:00 AM

mlavic said:
Hi there, maybe you are the right one to help me.... having similar issue here...i have nvidia geforce GT 430, which has DVI, HDMI, VGA connectors...wel when I tried to connect to monitors, one HDMI>>HDMI and the second DVI>>HDMI it just doesnt work..that one connected DVI>>HDMI stops wokring...on the other side combination with VGA works...but there is some kind of interference when connected with VGA....any idea?????

Did you get an answer to this problem??
My MB is a Gigabyte 880GM-D2H, ATI Radeon HD 4250. The HDMI>>HDMI runs the Sony TV just fine. Plug the DVI>>HDMI cable into the RCA TV and the RCA will not work. Unplug the Sony and RCA works.
m
l
July 20, 2013 4:20:28 AM

Ive got a 430 GT on windows 8 I have the problem with Second screen the HDMI to the big TV seems to kill the DVI out put to the 3D LG TV monitor only if an active connection is on the HDMI. It will work and did work about 3 months back maybe its the copy protection crap on an update Windows8 or Nvidea driver.
Im pissed off with it going to get a new Card! They can both work if you set dual screen or extended in the nvidea settings manager but it wont boot back like that.
Nvidea settings manager disappeared maybe windows 8 wants control and thats the problem Ahh...
Well looking more like Windows 8 if thats what every one has? if a different card and driver is acting the same way.
m
l
July 20, 2013 11:02:57 AM

For the GT430 on Windows 8 I rolled back the nvidia driver to 311.06 from 320.49 this stays stable when HDMI feed to AV amp is changed to TV so I don't need to pull the HDMI out of the pc when I just want just the monitor which is on a DVI out connected via DVI to HDMI lead to the LG 3D monitor HDMI input. Its probably due to HDCP update which is the "copy protection" which is a bad thing just blocks non compliant hardware and gets confused easily. If you power things on in a certain order you may get it working too.
The other point is active sound outputs on the video ports which is off for DVI screen(2)Primary and on for HDMI screen(1) it wont let me call the DVI screen (1) but you can make it primary screen(2)
Sometimes the sound on for both channels Dual screen can cause a problem I use a normal PC amp on the computer side so its not a problem.
m
l
September 5, 2013 9:41:18 AM

Unfortunately you cannot use two DVI ports at once if they are the same type of DVI, as in you would need to have one DVI-D and one DVI-I plugged in for both to work, you can't have two DVI-D, which is what most people attempt. If anything, get a DVI-I to DVI-D adapter to put on the black DVI port on your video card, this way you will be able to run two DVI monitors, and later if you want to run three you can with the additional HDMI.

Believe me I think it is ridiculously stupid that you can't use two DVI of the same kind at the same time. I myself have three monitors, one is HDMI, one is DVI-D, and the other I have to do VGA on the motherboard. I have a DVI plug in but even if you plug a DVI-D into the video card and one into the motherboard, it still won't run, I'm currently waiting on my adapter in the mail.

m
l
!