Upgrading to New CPU/Mobo Questions?

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I should be upgrading to an I5 3570K and a Biostar TZ77A -- http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387326 -- but I have a couple of questions on the Installation for them. First off, I just got an SSD a couple of weeks ago so I had to reinstall Windows. I heard that when you change your Mobo/CPU that you have to reinstall Windows, is that true? I would rather not do this considering I just got done downloading/installing everything back to my Computer. Also when I was reading a review off of Microcenter about the Motherboard I am planning to get (^^Link above^^) I saw a guy say " It also groups the HDD in a boot priority on its own, you can't choose individually which drives go first, second, etc." This worries me because last time when I installed Windows on to my SSD, I had to change my SSD to 1st Boot Priority so will I still be able to use my SSD as my Boot Drive? How would I even Install Windows to my SSD, Would I have to format it first, then install Windows or what? Thanks.

its best to re-install if you get a new motherboard as its likely to bluescreen due to driver conflicts

sometimes you can just plug in the hard drive and get away with it other times you wont

also a new motherboard may require you to contact microsoft to validate your windows

never seen a motherboard where you couldnt set boot priority so maybe read a few more reviews--they

may have got it wrong

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

My main worry is having to re-download all of my Steam Games and Origin Games.. but I have all of those Games installed on my HDD. So if I reinstall Windows on my SSD I would lose all of my programs and such but if I just simply plug in my HDD would I be able to just launch Steam off of it and still have all of my games play-able right off the bat? Or would I have to reinstall all of my Games and such? Also when I reinstall Windows on my SSD, do I have to prepare it or format it? The reason I ask is because I got it and it was already formatted so how do I go about reinstalling Windows on it? Thanks.

airbus320

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Just a thought. I just asked the support guy regarding this whether I should get a new validation key for my legitimate software when I make significant hardware changes, he said yes. I just ordered my new i5 2400 along with its humble mobo and the first thing I want to do is make a clean install.

My 2 cents

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Thanks for the reply, I plan on reinstalling Windows 7 also. I have a question about it though.. how do I install Windows on my SSD since I already have it on there? Does Windows automatically wipe the old Windows or something? Also, I have Steam and all of my Steam games downloaded to my HDD, so if I just plug my HDD in after installing Windows 7 on my SSD, will I be able to play all of my Steam games right off the bat? Or do I still have to reinstall Steam/Steam Games to my HDD? Thanks.