Reference model vs Factory Overclocked Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
hello,
I am planning to buy a gtx 560 ti for my new setup.
But I wanted to know this -

Is there much difference b/w the cooling arrangement of the base model and the facory overclocked model???
Is it justifiable if I have to get 10$ or more for this difference??

I was looking at ZOTAC and GIGABYTE models and comparing their prices. The difference is 20$ at most acc. to my requirement.

Thx in advance!

Solution
It's OK to get gigabyte 560 ti, if you are going to overclock it yourself you be better with the non factory overclock because they hold the same overclocking ability. Why I say getting the non overclocked version is better is because it is cheaper and the money you save you can use it for other useful things.

Hope this helps and good luck :).
That's true, when you have, let's say twin frozer II and twin frozer II OC. You would choose twin frozer II non overclock version to save more money. Just make sure it doesn't have reference cooler so the conclusion is if you are going to overclock it yourself, better save more money and get non overclock version of an aftermarket cooler GPU.

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

u mean to imply that these coolers are added later? I understand that they tweak/modify the reference model in terms of cooling and other physical factors. but that is not my concern. I know that if I get msi, then i'll be getting a twin frozr Ii or a direct CU with Asus, etc.

My ques. is comparing two models of the same GPu of the same manufacturer, which look alike (which means they have similar cooling solutions) but have different clock speeds.

Coz i was comparing gigabyte 560 ti models, namely the super clocked versions with the ultra durable VGA versions. they looked pretty much same to me.
Same is the case with zotac's 560 ti's.

please correct me if i am wrong. :kaola:

If you mean it that way, reference models are usually cheaper, and hold same overclocking capabilities as overclocked ones.

The only drawback if by chance you are unable you overclock the reference card to factory overclock speeds, you can't do anything about but, but if overclocked card fails to perform at those speeds, you can call the warranty.

It's OK to get gigabyte 560 ti, if you are going to overclock it yourself you be better with the non factory overclock because they hold the same overclocking ability. Why I say getting the non overclocked version is better is because it is cheaper and the money you save you can use it for other useful things.

Hope this helps and good luck :).

Solution

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

I didnt understand you.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I was thinking about getting one of these for my 6990. They have them for multiple cards from AMD and Nvidia.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/375/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html

It is supposed to run the card 20 degrees cooler but it cost $140 for my model. Any card that I have overclocked hasn't run any hotter than the reference model it just meant that the fan had to spin a lot faster to acheive the same temperature which could get really annoying depending on the card. Once the blower on my 6990 passes 45% it starts to get louder than the rest if my fans and at 60% it sounds like a dyson.

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

thanx.
And i wont be buying a separate aftrmrkt cooler anyway. Just gonna stick with what gigabyte/zotac gives me. :D Its not worth screwing around for 5-7 fps. :sol:

Status
Not open for further replies.