Win x64 general high ram usage - help!

evoke

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I was using vista x86 up untill windows 7 came out, it was the I decided to go for my first x64 operating system. I have an i7 and 3gb ram.

Ever since I've moved over, games take up a stupid amount of memory, they'll go to 80 - 90%. I recently decided to install Crysis Warhead as I never got round to completing it, last time I played it I was on vista x86 and it ran fine. However now, it takes forever to load and/or freezes because there's no memory left. I've tried setting the page file at 200 - 1024, 1024 - 1024 and turning it off, none of that makes a difference. I tried increasing it to 4096-4096 just out of curiosity, that managed to load the game, however, while I did have a constant 50-60fps I was lagging really badly and had 91% ram usage.

Am I missing something here, does anyone else have this issue?

evoke

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
That's what I've been doing already, Crysis was using about 1GB. Everything else was as normal, which uses, again, 1GB. So somewhere along the line, 1GB has vanished.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Are you showing all processes? Vista/Win7 default the current user as a non-admin, so you need to click display all and let taskmgr elevate to admin so it can view all users processes.

TaskMgr for me in both Vista x64 and Win7 x64 have both been good at reporting actual memory usage

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
There is a 64 bit version of Crysis Warhead - you should be using that to launch the game otherwise it does not take advantage of that memory space.

I had a devil of a time getting CW to run reliability with 4G and Vista/Win 7 x64. It would launch and run fine but inevitably I would get a low memory error and the game would crash to desktop. I did have paging off so by adding a fixed 1G page file it would behave normally.

After moving to Win7 x64 and 6G of memory - no paging file - it runs just fine without low mem errors or crashing to the desktop.

I would look at what else is running. Crysis wants every bit of CPU you have available.
Also what quality settings are you selecting? Drop them down and see the effect as well.

Good Luck

evoke

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Thank you vvhocare5, but you're focusing on the wrong aspect. Sure cryisis is a beast and 64bit would utilise the memory better, but it shouldn't be eating that much as it is. Crysis barely uses 10% cpu and I get 50 - 60fps with settings on gamer.

Yes all my processes are showing Kewelx25, thanks.

Is the problem with Windows 7 or x64 in general? I mean, if I was running crysis on vista x86 I'd be getting 60+ fps and still have a gb of memory left. Ideally I'd like to stick with Windows 7, even if it is the x86 version.