win98 will not install

G

I have fdisked, fromated my new harddrive and I'am trying to install win98. I inserted the boot disket and picked the alternative start with cd-rom(or something like that). Things seemed to go fine untill the computer was trying to locate my pci bus driver and the whole system hangs(gets stuck). I have tried diffrent win boot disks(incase they were deffected), but the same crap happens.
help...me..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Try removing some cards. If this works, you may need to change PNP OS to NO in BIOS to have BIOS configure those cards. Also, more details on the system would be nice.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Tekram chipset via 133A
pentium 500mhz
128ram
ibm desktar 15gb
vibra soundcard
tnt2 64 agp

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, it sounds as though you have a resorce conflict. This happens a lot on VIA chipset boards. But in case it is not, what kind of CD-ROM are you using and how is it connected? Is it detected by the computer at boot?
Also, it could be a video card issue, make sure the video card gets it's own IRQ in BIOS, and you might try using a PCI video card as a last resort, until you've finished loading Windows.

Suicide is painless...........

G

There was a conflict alright! The installation program couldn't identify the Pci audio device. Knowing this it was easy to install win 98:) Thanx guys!